IGNORED

A Long Long Way From "just Got Back"

The Kaiser

A couple of things Kaiser.

RB said it was Marv., not Jet, who lost his man for the Carlisle goal, and Jet, not Marv. who played the superb pass for Wagstaff's goal.

Not saying they're right but you'd have thought they'd have a good view.

But, on the other hand, it's RB :noexp:

Right I've got the passenger seat for the journey back first leg (with the satnav saying 276 miles to Downend) so here's my thoughts.

Great contingent from us. If that end we had held 300 then we must have had about 275 or so?

We were treated to a terrible first half and it was the same old, same old. Stepping off players, allowing Carlisle to bully us and just booting it long to Taylor but not a great deal of follow up.

The goal? Wagstaff lost out high up the pitch on the far end. We played silly buggers in the middle and again a decent cross field ball was put out for a corner.

First time that the Carlisle crowd got loud and really got behind them and so we then defended appallingly at the worst time.

Good corner, in fact very good corner as I was level with it and saw it all really well.

Hung high on the edge of the 6 yard box and JET lost his man and he thundered a header into the net - complete free header from a corner!!! Classic City defending.

Then we had a 10 min spell right under it. We were quiet, Carlisle were loud and 2-3 chances flashed across Parrish's goal. What you'd say proper away day stuff.

The wind was picking up too which was a good sign as it was in the last 10mins so it meant we had it second half.

The half ended with JET trying a freekick high and wide and Carlisle ended 1-0 up, there was a feeling in the away end that we'd seen it all before and we again were going to lose.

The toilets (the hub of half time activity) resounded to what you guys would have all heard before.

"Trouble is we don't look like scoring"

"He ain't got no clue going forward do he?"

"Bloody rubbish: we are too fking soft"

Second half.

Was this the same game? The same City????

Didn't feel like it.

It goes to show what confidence does to both a player and a team.

Within 5 mins City were 2-1 up and JET had 2.

Header and then a 1-1.

Surreal was the word.

City then had the wind, Carlisle were backing off, we were playing it to feet and JET was finding time and space.

All of a sudden Carlisle went from a comfortable day in the office to worrying about JET, putting it out anywhere, arguing who was picking up the runners etc.

The third was superb. We were broke quick and fast. From a left back position, we played it to Marv who played a superb forward cross pitch attacking ball over the head of the Carlisle left back, Wagstaff chested it turned and thundered a volley cross the goal and into the top right corner.

Almost exactly in the position I saw Bradley Orr do the same back in 2007!!!

His celebration to us was worth a mention. With a sliding sideways dive! Before being mobbed by City players.

Yet we all still didn't feel comfortable at 3-1.

And we were proved right.

Carlisle chucked the kitchen sink at us up the far end and it paid off. A high long ball wasn't cleared by Williams, Marv couldn't chase it down quick enough and the Carlisle man on the edge of the box hit it first time left footed through varying players passed an unsighted Parrish in the bottom left hand corner.

Kavanagh was off the bench. Carlisle went 3-1-3-3 formation and we defended deeper. Two corners to Carlisle and you could feel the tension up our end as we watched unfold up the other end..,

Then Carlisles formation change was their undoing. Shorey found JET who took advantage of the one man less at the back right, Taylor pulled a man in the centre and JET took it calmly firing it under the body of the keeper into the far left corner in the bottom corner.

City then rode a few chances but at 2-4 it was won. Harewood replaced JET to a City ovation and Carlisle started leaving with chants of "How sh*f must you be, we're winning a game"

On the final whistle every City player came over to us to receive applause and cheers.

Smiling faces, big cheers and hugging.

Bristol City had ended its win drought as far away from Bristol as possible in front of 300 of us. Would have been nice if the 10,000 could have seen it but I think we made enough noise for all of you.

As the song went at the end "City are back, City are back".

I'll leave this post glancing at the approaching road sign for Barrow.....

That is one of the best opening posts I've ever read on this misery ridden forum. Fair play to you mate. You and the others that made the trip today deserve that result. I was there for that game in 07 pretty sure Orr got two didn't he and one seemed like a cross iirc. Any way top Roy of the City reading that is loved every word. Safe journey back to you all

A couple of things Kaiser.

RB said it was Marv., not Jet, who lost his man for the Carlisle goal, and Jet, not Marv. who played the superb pass for Wagstaff's goal.

Not saying they're right but you'd have thought they'd have a good view.

Hard to tell, Marv and JET were together just watching as the guy had a free header.given that Marv's game is all about throwing himself in and JET's isn't I'd say blame it on Marv

Just back, first half was pretty even but why can't we defend set pieces. First minute o Hanlon had a free header and 20 mins later does same again but scores.

We could of scored first half jet hit side netting when 2 were free in the middle and when dunk got injured in one hell of a scramble thought our luck wasn't in.

2nd half we came out and looked up for it, flint immediately went in for a crunching tackle and seemed to raise team. Jet seemed to be playing more as a striker alongside Taylor and both goals he was free on the penalty spot to slot home instead standing around outside of box.

Wagstaff goal was quality a great volley and must give credit to Reid for second goal won the ball off their fb and played in jet.

Defensively we looked a lot more solid and there goal as has been said was cleared but was a great strike from there guy.

The midfield 3 of Elliott pack and wagstaff ran there butts off and gave our defence a good shield. Reid worked hard linking the midfield and attack.

Please sod play jet upfront and let him trouble other teams defences and give them something to worry about.

Finally we have 3 points lets hope we can get some confidence and do it again next game, for when we took the lead you could see the confidence come flooding back in there play.

I personally thought we played better at port vale but today took our chances.

Awesome! If somebody had told me at the start of the season that I'd be euphoric having won the first game of the season just as we enter November then I'd have called them an idiot but I don't care tonight. Amazing, to have finally got a win. Much respect to the team and the city faithful who made the journey.

Ok slightly different angle here.

I sat in a box today, me and another lad just walked into hospitality and sat down in our comfy box, which was opposite the scattering of City supporters, no one asked for tickets so we sat down and watched what was a dire first half.

The bright points of the first half were minimal and for me the composed Dunk and the hardworking Maloney stood out, credit goes to Bobby Reid for keeping things alive and always offering a positive option, constantly looking to take the ball forward, fed often by the impressive pack who put his foot in and kept play moving where possible.

The second half we moved to sit in the Grand Stand, as we were keen to here what Carlisles support thought of us, lets just say it wasn't great, however he who laughs last and all.....

City pressure grew and Jets equaliser was what we deserved in attitude alone, from there on in every single player in a black shirt had the belief that this was there day and at times we passed the ball about superbly and more importantly incisively which saw us score 2 more well worked, and well finished goals. Carlisles second was nothing to do with city taking their foot off the peddle, or as we have seen in abundance before losing concentration; it was a fantastic finish that in many games would have taken all 3 points.

THE DIFFERENCE:-

Ryan Taylor, the ball stuck to him and his tireless work rate and aptitude won the game for us, bare with me here.......the two Carlisle Centrebacks were knackered by 60 mins he was an absolute handful, he pulled them all over the shop and all though never looked like scoring himself, it's no doubt that his performance today was the difference.

He has to play, him and Jet with Bobby Reid busying about tired that defence and there's no reason we can't do that week in week out.

Oh and sorry lads, we couldn't hear a thing coming from the away end.

Just back, first half was pretty even but why can't we defend set pieces. First minute o Hanlon had a free header and 20 mins later does same again but scores.

We could of scored first half jet hit side netting when 2 were free in the middle and when dunk got injured in one hell of a scramble thought our luck wasn't in.

2nd half we came out and looked up for it, flint immediately went in for a crunching tackle and seemed to raise team. Jet seemed to be playing more as a striker alongside Taylor and both goals he was free on the penalty spot to slot home instead standing around outside of box.

Wagstaff goal was quality a great volley and must give credit to Reid for second goal won the ball off their fb and played in jet.

Defensively we looked a lot more solid and there goal as has been said was cleared but was a great strike from there guy.

The midfield 3 of Elliott pack and wagstaff ran there butts off and gave our defence a good shield. Reid worked hard linking the midfield and attack.

Please sod play jet upfront and let him trouble other teams defences and give them something to worry about.

Finally we have 3 points lets hope we can get some confidence and do it again next game, for when we took the lead you could see the confidence come flooding back in there play.

I personally thought we played better at port vale but today took our chances.

This sounds like it might've been key today. Two front players to worry defences, defenders not daring leave one frontman unmarked and being split open. Pushes the midfield higher up too, so passes to feet are more likely.

When I first heard the line-up, I'll confess to doubts, but if this is how they played, it's a sensible response to our recent toothlessness.

Right I've got the passenger seat for the journey back first leg (with the satnav saying 276 miles to Downend) so here's my thoughts.

Great contingent from us. If that end we had held 300 then we must have had about 275 or so?

We were treated to a terrible first half and it was the same old, same old. Stepping off players, allowing Carlisle to bully us and just booting it long to Taylor but not a great deal of follow up.

The goal? Wagstaff lost out high up the pitch on the far end. We played silly buggers in the middle and again a decent cross field ball was put out for a corner.

First time that the Carlisle crowd got loud and really got behind them and so we then defended appallingly at the worst time.

Good corner, in fact very good corner as I was level with it and saw it all really well.

Hung high on the edge of the 6 yard box and JET lost his man and he thundered a header into the net - complete free header from a corner!!! Classic City defending.

Then we had a 10 min spell right under it. We were quiet, Carlisle were loud and 2-3 chances flashed across Parrish's goal. What you'd say proper away day stuff.

The wind was picking up too which was a good sign as it was in the last 10mins so it meant we had it second half.

The half ended with JET trying a freekick high and wide and Carlisle ended 1-0 up, there was a feeling in the away end that we'd seen it all before and we again were going to lose.

The toilets (the hub of half time activity) resounded to what you guys would have all heard before.

Second half.

Didn't feel like it.

Header and then a 1-1.

Surreal was the word.

City then had the wind, Carlisle were backing off, we were playing it to feet and JET was finding time and space.

All of a sudden Carlisle went from a comfortable day in the office to worrying about JET, putting it out anywhere, arguing who was picking up the runners etc.

The third was superb. We were broke quick and fast. From a left back position, we played it to Marv who played a superb forward cross pitch attacking ball over the head of the Carlisle left back, Wagstaff chested it turned and thundered a volley cross the goal and into the top right corner.

His celebration to us was worth a mention. With a sliding sideways dive! Before being mobbed by City players.

Carlisle chucked the kitchen sink at us up the far end and it paid off. A high long ball wasn't cleared by Williams, Marv couldn't chase it down quick enough and the Carlisle man on the edge of the box hit it first time left footed through varying players passed an unsighted Parrish in the bottom left hand corner.

Kavanagh was off the bench. Carlisle went 3-1-3-3 formation and we defended deeper. Two corners to Carlisle and you could feel the tension up our end as we watched unfold up the other end..,

Then Carlisles formation change was their undoing. Shorey found JET who took advantage of the one man less at the back right, Taylor pulled a man in the centre and JET took it calmly firing it under the body of the keeper into the far left corner in the bottom corner.

City then rode a few chances but at 2-4 it was won. Harewood replaced JET to a City ovation and Carlisle started leaving with chants of "How sh*f must you be, we're winning a game"

On the final whistle every City player came over to us to receive applause and cheers.

Bristol City had ended its win drought as far away from Bristol as possible in front of 300 of us. Would have been nice if the 10,000 could have seen it but I think we made enough noise for all of you.

Excellent summary on the whole.

City tweeted that there 364 away fans, where bearing in mind the run we were on and where we sit in the league is a superb effort.

I am almost certain that it was Marv that lost his man for their opening goal rather than JET. Even then both JET and Marv appeared to be looking towards Dunk after the goal had gone in. I think people just assumed it was JET due to his lack of enthusiasm for jumping! I was pretty sure at the time that we should have had a foul given on Wagstaff when we lost the ball before they won the corner. Not excusing conceding again from a set piece, but still, could have had some help from the officials.

It was JET that played the pass out to Wagstaff. I love Marv to bits, but I'll be surprised if we ever see a pass like that from him!

I said exactly the same thing about Wagstaff finding the exact same piece of net from almost the exact same blade of grass as Brad back in 2007!

Just got home myself and have to echo the great match report from the OP.

Second half I thought Bobby Reid was excellent he stuck close to Taylor to pick up any knock downs and was always looking to link play up. When Bobby is pushed just behind the front two I think he is at his most effective.

Funnily the last time I saw City away before today was that game in 2007.

I sat in a box today, me and another lad just walked into hospitality and sat down in our comfy box, which was opposite the scattering of City supporters, no one asked for tickets so we sat down and watched what was a dire first half.

The bright points of the first half were minimal and for me the composed Dunk and the hardworking Maloney stood out, credit goes to Bobby Reid for keeping things alive and always offering a positive option, constantly looking to take the ball forward, fed often by the impressive pack who put his foot in and kept play moving where possible.

The second half we moved to sit in the Grand Stand, as we were keen to here what Carlisles support thought of us, lets just say it wasn't great, however he who laughs last and all.....

City pressure grew and Jets equaliser was what we deserved in attitude alone, from there on in every single player in a black shirt had the belief that this was there day and at times we passed the ball about superbly and more importantly incisively which saw us score 2 more well worked, and well finished goals. Carlisles second was nothing to do with city taking their foot off the peddle, or as we have seen in abundance before losing concentration; it was a fantastic finish that in many games would have taken all 3 points.

Ryan Taylor, the ball stuck to him and his tireless work rate and aptitude won the game for us, bare with me here.......the two Carlisle Centrebacks were knackered by 60 mins he was an absolute handful, he pulled them all over the shop and all though never looked like scoring himself, it's no doubt that his performance today was the difference.

He has to play, him and Jet with Bobby Reid busying about tired that defence and there's no reason we can't do that week in week out.

"Couldn't hear a thing from the away end?" You want to tune in to Radio Briss. Could hear loads of singing. Well done to everyone who went today, great effort

Hard to tell, Marv and JET were together just watching as the guy had a free header.given that Marv's game is all about throwing himself in and JET's isn't I'd say blame it on Marv

I just watched it on tv, I wouldn't blame anyone for the headed goal,the Carlisle player attacked the ball well and got up early well above Jet AND Marv. It was a classic case of attacking the ball with a run up.

Second half.

Didn't feel like it.

Header and then a 1-1.

Surreal was the word.

Love everything in this post, just have to say though that having just seen the goals on the FLS the unbelievable cross field ball to Wagstaff was in fact from JET and not Marv. I don't think Marv could play that ball if he was given 1000 attempts at it haha :)

Yep dead right.

I'll take a little journalistic licence with some of the names. Mainly the ball from Bryan and not Shorey and that it was JET and not Marv who played it out to Wagstaff...

I'll give the excuse I was "engrossed in the game" :)

Got back at 10pm and went in the Sandringham pub in Downend. They just LOVE a City shirt in there..... :)

That game in 2007 pretty much sealed us promotion, I remember leaving Bristol at something like 6 in the morning, Team news came through, Basso was injured (taken ill over night possibly) but we had managed to secure the emergency loan signing of a certain John Ruddy. We thought this was gonna be a bad Oman, especially when Carlisle took the lead.

Either just before half time or just after boom boom I think equalised the scores, ruddy was outstanding on his first and last game for us. We took the game to Carlisle and got another two. For me that goal from boom boom was the difference between automatic and play offs.

After waiting so long to be promoted and coming close many times no one wanted to get ahead of there self's but when that final whistle went we all knew promotion was pretty much confirmed in that second half in Cumbria, all the players and management came over and had a massive celebration in front of the away stand, Ruddy was a hero.

The journey home went a lot quicker than the journey up.

I will always have very fond memories of that game in 2007, just hope today's result in a simular sort of match can produce a simular sort of outcome and springboard us towards where we would like to be.

My cat likes sitting in boxes as well.

Thanks for the report Wolfie for me you are always a credible source of info.

My cat likes sitting in boxes as well.

Thanks for the report Wolfie for me you are always a credible source of info.

Excellent report. Respect to all who made the trip.

BTW It should be obvious that cats like sitting in boxes because they remind them of the spacecraft that first brought them to this planet...

Did that ground have boxes???? Where were they?

Been a few years since I went up but it reminded me of a proper old style lower division ground. Terracing and all....

Opposite the away end, there were 3 small boxes and large one which we sat in.

Where the "grand stand" was, there were a few bars, I think we walked into the one called "foxy's", we breezed past the security and walked into a bar with a pre match speaker, after opening a few doors we came to the boxes......the one we sat in was full of pensioners and was sponsored quite aptly by OAP outfitter Edinburgh Woollen Mills !

During the second half, I was having the start of a nasty hypo, the stewardess took me into the players bar, where I watched the game on TV whilst helping myself to as much free Pepsi and snickers bars that I could consume.

Good day out, seeing city win and for free, who'd have thought it.

Archived