IGNORED

The Beer Thread

Northamptonshire Red

Sierra Nevada's a good call. Brooklyn Lager is another decent American one.

Jaipur IPA from Thornbridge Brewery is my big recommend. It's hoppy and spicy - but in a good way!

Camden Pale is a nice pale ale.

When you can get it try Badger's Dorset Stinger. Brewed with nettles and actually has a slight sting to it, but it's great!

Just thought I'd get a little thread going for those who like to try different beers. My current favourites are:

Orval (Belgium)

Sierra Nevada (USA)

St Peter's G Free (England)

heard many people talk about Sierra Nevada recently....where can you buy this mate as its not in my local Sainsburys?

Fosters (Australia).

Carling (Carling).

Pretty widely available.

Glad you said it, there was me thinking I had to take a journey to some far eastern European country and ride a horse to small village where a local beer is made by skilled old people, just so I could join in this conversation.

Tescos stock the bottles. I have even seen it on draft.

Yeah that's where I usually pick them up! They actually have a fairly decent selection in there.

Glad you said it, there was me thinking I had to take a journey to some far eastern European country and ride a horse to small village where a local beer is made by skilled old people, just so I could join in this conversation.

Nah, but it is nice to try and find out some unique beers out there, whether they're foreign or not. Like I said, St. Peter's have a great selection of ales, who are based in Suffolk.

Hello. My name is Chipdawg and I'm a massive beer slob. I'm afraid that most of the beer mentioned on here is utter swill, primarily due to people referencing breweries from the south of England, where they tend to brew lightly hopped dishwater for some reason. The only southern ales I'll tip my hat to are Cornish; Sharps Doombar is a fabulous drop

Someone has mentioned Thornbridge Jaipur, which is an excellent call; a genuine Indian Pale Ale at 5.9% and dangerously drinkable for a beer of that strength. Thornbridge do some excellent stuff at the minute, I'd also recommend the Chiron on keg if you can get it

Thornbridge are based just outside Sheffield and its a part of the world with some marvellous little breweries, Abbeydale and Bradfield being two of my favourites. Yorkshire is, to be honest, the place for British beer at the minute; there are more breweries per square mile in West Yorkshire than any other county in the UK. On similar lines to the Jaipur, Summer Wine Brewery do one called Diablo which is excellent, while on Friday I tried a 'Rhubarb Saison' from Ilkley Brewery which was outstanding. Saisons are a style of beer from the Low Countries which was brewed to provide refreshment for farm workers and is likely to be the next 'big thing' (stylistically) in British craft brewing

Moving further afield, I'd also recommend German beers in the Bamburg style. Bamburg is largely associated with 'Rauchbier' or smoked beers, but the session ales from that area are like a delicious, rich lager. My favourite is from Mahr's Brau and called 'Ungespundet'

However, perhaps the most 'happening' place in Europe for beer at the minute is Barcelona and its environs; tremendous beers, lots of innovation and the best thing about it is that there's hardly any exporting of it so you have to go to Barcelona to drink it!

Finally to America, the hipster heart of craft beer. Several people have mentioned Sierra Nevada which I find a little plain, but Brooklyn are consistently good- their current seasonal offerings of Oktoberfest Ale and Pumpkin Ale are very nice. The best of the bunch in my opinion though is Anchor from California; their lager is wonderfully malty and tasty, whilst still being refreshing. I could bore you on the nature of craft brewing in The US (or indeed over here) but I won't right now

Hello. My name is Chipdawg and I'm a massive beer slob. I'm afraid that most of the beer mentioned on here is utter swill, primarily due to people referencing breweries from the south of England, where they tend to brew lightly hopped dishwater for some reason. The only southern ales I'll tip my hat to are Cornish; Sharps Doombar is a fabulous drop

Someone has mentioned Thornbridge Jaipur, which is an excellent call; a genuine Indian Pale Ale at 5.9% and dangerously drinkable for a beer of that strength. Thornbridge do some excellent stuff at the minute, I'd also recommend the Chiron on keg if you can get it

Thornbridge are based just outside Sheffield and its a part of the world with some marvellous little breweries, Abbeydale and Bradfield being two of my favourites. Yorkshire is, to be honest, the place for British beer at the minute; there are more breweries per square mile in West Yorkshire than any other county in the UK. On similar lines to the Jaipur, Summer Wine Brewery do one called Diablo which is excellent, while on Friday I tried a 'Rhubarb Saison' from Ilkley Brewery which was outstanding. Saisons are a style of beer from the Low Countries which was brewed to provide refreshment for farm workers and is likely to be the next 'big thing' (stylistically) in British craft brewing

Moving further afield, I'd also recommend German beers in the Bamburg style. Bamburg is largely associated with 'Rauchbier' or smoked beers, but the session ales from that area are like a delicious, rich lager. My favourite is from Mahr's Brau and called 'Ungespundet'

However, perhaps the most 'happening' place in Europe for beer at the minute is Barcelona and its environs; tremendous beers, lots of innovation and the best thing about it is that there's hardly any exporting of it so you have to go to Barcelona to drink it!

Finally to America, the hipster heart of craft beer. Several people have mentioned Sierra Nevada which I find a little plain, but Brooklyn are consistently good- their current seasonal offerings of Oktoberfest Ale and Pumpkin Ale are very nice. The best of the bunch in my opinion though is Anchor from California; their lager is wonderfully malty and tasty, whilst still being refreshing. I could bore you on the nature of craft brewing in The US (or indeed over here) but I won't right now

You certainly know your stuff, sir! I will definitely keep an eye out for the Jaipur. Hoggleys which are local to me have some notable beers but not sure if we are classed as North or South... Really into the Belgian beers at the moment after a trip to Bruges, and I do love a lot of the US craft beers. I was in the Milk Thistle in Bristol the other night (bit pretentious) and had some Anchor, really good stuff! Another from California I like is Stone IPA, and must give Rogue's Dead Guy Ale a shout too. I go over to Pennsylvania a lot and they have some good local breweries such as Yuengling, Victory and Yards. 

Spent yesterday afternoon drink medium and dry rough cider from Richs Cider farm, also had a nice drop of Cloudy rat!

Started drinking at 13.45, looked at my phone this morning and I text my wife at. 20.50 I was finished and needed to get into bed!! Woke up about 6am hangover free which was a result!!

Spent yesterday afternoon drink medium and dry rough cider from Richs Cider farm, also had a nice drop of Cloudy rat!

Started drinking at 13.45, looked at my phone this morning and I text my wife at. 20.50 I was finished and needed to get into bed!! Woke up about 6am hangover free which was a result!!

Wait until tomorrow morning :ill:

What? I hope to God you are joking, Fosters actually is vomit, Carling, possibly worse, I mean, tell me you are joking, I'm getting pretty mad over this, especially since Fosters is DEFINITELY NOT ******* AUSTRALIAN!!!

well the adverts always have an Australian accent on them and I beleive the ads more than I believe you. I mean what do you gain from waltzing on here and lying about Fosters? The whole world knows it's Australian.

As someone who has pursued the perfect pint, draught and bottled, for many a year, to name a favourite beer is very difficult as much is down to the time of year (lighter ales in summer, porters and darker ales in winter etc) and sometimes just what sort of mood you're in?

Any beer with a Nelson Sauvignon hop in is good for me!

The reference to Thornbridge brewery is very relevant to me as I do rate their beers a lot. Jaipur is quite widely known as it's sold in quite a few Wetherspoons pubs but I've also come across Kipling ale, really light and with a lovely citrus taste. I found it on the shelves in Waitrose (Bath shop is my nearest) but I thought it was so good I've made specific detours on two occasions to the brewery in Bakewell whilst on route to my daughters house in Manchester. Such a great beer, shame I could only get 6 cases in my car each time!

If you want to find Thornbridge beers (other than Jaipur) in Bristol pubs look no further than The Barley Mow, situated in the 'Dings' area behind Temple Meads, great pub with at least 8 ales on draught plus 10 'craft' i.e. expensive, keg ales also available.

For bottled beers in Bristol one of the best places for the best selection is surprisingly Gardiner Haskins Homecentre in Old Market area. Down in the kitchen equipment display area which is located in the basement they have a huge selection of beers, both local, national and international.Prices are competitive and well worth checking out for something different than the usual supermarket choices. They also have great choices of cider and lagers if you like that sort of thing...

well the adverts always have an Australian accent on them and I beleive the ads more than I believe you. I mean what do you gain from waltzing on here and lying about Fosters? The whole world knows it's Australian.

I've actually seen Aussies get into fights over this, Fosters is not Australian, you will not find it for sale in Australia. Don't believe anything you see on TV either, don't get sucked in by the Hooroo bullshit. Fosters is pish, its the worst drink in the world, I don't know anyone who drinks it, I don't understand why people dink it when there is water or other drinks available.

If you drink Fosters I hate you.

Indeed, the best ales at the moment are from Yorkshire. However it's nice to see Butcombe pick up a bronze for best bitter this year to add to its silver in 2009. Also St Austell's proper job picking up two silvers. Cotswold spring also picking up a silver for its mild.

I will throw in Wye valley brewery's Butty Bach to the mix. A great golden ale. As for Doom Bar, its a decent pint but pretty bog average IMO.

Indeed, the best ales at the moment are from Yorkshire. However it's nice to see Butcombe pick up a bronze for best bitter this year to add to its silver in 2009. Also St Austell's proper job picking up two silvers. Cotswold spring also picking up a silver for its mild.

I will throw in Wye valley brewery's Butty Bach to the mix. A great golden ale. As for Doom Bar, its a decent pint but pretty bog average IMO.

I'll have to disagree on the Doom Bar, its one of my faves. Forgot about Butcombe; also a good brewery in the South West

I've actually seen Aussies get into fights over this, Fosters is not Australian, you will not find it for sale in Australia. Don't believe anything you see on TV either, don't get sucked in by the Hooroo bullshit. Fosters is pish, its the worst drink in the world, I don't know anyone who drinks it, I don't understand why people dink it when there is water or other drinks available.

If you drink Fosters I hate you.

I'm afraid the fighting Aussies were wrong; Fosters is as Australian as shrimps on the barby. It's just that for a variety of reasons (not least the fact that its ******* disgusting) its popularity plummeted down under in the 1980s/90s. I wholeheartedly agree that it's one of the worst drinks on the market; I'd rather drink my own piss

I'm afraid the fighting Aussies were wrong; Fosters is as Australian as shrimps on the barby. It's just that for a variety of reasons (not least the fact that its ******* disgusting) its popularity plummeted down under in the 1980s/90s. I wholeheartedly agree that it's one of the worst drinks on the market; I'd rather drink my own piss

Fosters, carlsberg and carling are woeful. I'd rather drink my own harry monk. I'm not a lager drinker myself but I find Cobra a nice smooth drink

Archived