IGNORED

The Beer Thread

Northamptonshire Red

Spent yesterday afternoon drink medium and dry rough cider from Richs Cider farm, also had a nice drop of Cloudy rat!

Started drinking at 13.45, looked at my phone this morning and I text my wife at. 20.50 I was finished and needed to get into bed!! Woke up about 6am hangover free which was a result!!

Get yourself down to Roger Wilkins farm

I've actually seen Aussies get into fights over this, Fosters is not Australian, you will not find it for sale in Australia. Don't believe anything you see on TV either, don't get sucked in by the Hooroo bullshit. Fosters is pish, its the worst drink in the world, I don't know anyone who drinks it, I don't understand why people dink it when there is water or other drinks available.

If you drink Fosters I hate you.

In the adverts before C4 comedy shows you get two annoying men with Australian accents, in an Australian shed on an Australian beach. They also used to use the tagline "he who thinks Australian drinks Australian" I think there's also a kangeroo on the cans and they recently celebrated there anniversary by flying a plane over Melbourne with "A real Australian beer- Fosters" written on the side of it. I don't know what kind of a trip you're on cobber but I reckon you might work for castlemaine XXXX or something. So I like Fosters with a Sprite top.......deal with it possom.

I've actually seen Aussies get into fights over this, Fosters is not Australian, you will not find it for sale in Australia. Don't believe anything you see on TV either, don't get sucked in by the Hooroo bullshit. Fosters is pish, its the worst drink in the world, I don't know anyone who drinks it, I don't understand why people dink it when there is water or other drinks available.

In the far distant past, I worked as a barman in Australia and the two brands I remember dominating were VB and Swan. I don't think Foster's even existed then.

Although it claims to be 125-years old I believe the brand was resurrected in the late 80s primarily for export. The Foster's you drink - or avoid if you've any sense - in Asia, is brewed in Queensland somewhere. I think in the UK it's brewed in Manchester.

For me beer is not fizzy lager but real ale such as Butcombe,Pitchfork,Otter and half life.

I do have a larger when its hot or abroad and don't find it to bad but for me real ale rules. 

You're absolutely spot on with this foghorn. I can't comment on the American beers that people are talking about as I've never been to the States. Over here I've only drunk Budweiser which is essentially gnats' piss. In Europe beer is generally served too cold which has been scientifically proved to reduce the flavour. For me CAMRA is the greatest and most impotant pressure group we've ever had in this country, with the possible exception of the Suffragette movement I supose.

In the adverts before C4 comedy shows you get two annoying men with Australian accents, in an Australian shed on an Australian beach. They also used to use the tagline "he who thinks Australian drinks Australian" I think there's also a kangeroo on the cans and they recently celebrated there anniversary by flying a plane over Melbourne with "A real Australian beer- Fosters" written on the side of it. I don't know what kind of a trip you're on cobber but I reckon you might work for castlemaine XXXX or something. So I like Fosters with a Sprite top.......deal with it possom.

Fosters is Australian, it was founded in Melbourne in 1888, although the two Fosters brothers (William & Ralph) were US immigrants of Irish extraction. It started being imported here in the 1970's, although I believe the original aussie brew was stronger than the 4.0% you get now. It's true that it's not that popular in Australia..and like most major beer brands now, it's brewed all over the world.

This Budwieser: http://www.budweiserbudvar.co.uk/products

not the brewed under licence dishwater that pretends its American.

Great stuff

The dark is very good for a change

Staropramen is also a great drink

Agree with both of those, the Czech Budweiser is different class to the US one, especially now the US Bud is down to 4.8% from 5.0%

Does anyone know where you can buy the dark one in Bristol?,  i'd like to try it.

Becks used to be a very nice lager but they reduced the alcohol in that as well, doesn't taste the same now. Erdinger wheat beer is very nice, and Weihenstephaner Hefe which is a German wheat beer available in Sainsbury's (tastes lovely and 5,4%). Also like Leffe Blonde & Hoegaarden, I've tried Duvel (Belgium) which is highly rated, but wasn't that keen on it, although a lot of Belgian beers are lovely.

Agree with both of those, the Czech Budweiser is different class to the US one, especially now the US Bud is down to 4.8% from 5.0%

Does anyone know where you can buy the dark one in Bristol?,  i'd like to try it.

Becks used to be a very nice lager but they reduced the alcohol in that as well, doesn't taste the same now. Erdinger wheat beer is very nice, and Weihenstephaner Hefe which is a German wheat beer available in Sainsbury's (tastes lovely and 5,4%). Also like Leffe Blonde & Hoegaarden, I've tried Duvel (Belgium) which is highly rated, but wasn't that keen on it, although a lot of Belgian beers are lovely.

Wheat beers are certainly excellent.

Another I have the taste of is Negra Modelo (Mexican): only one bar here sells it, and it is all I drink when there.

Erdinger was a good call above. Went to the Erding as its about 50 minute train journey from Munich. If you like that Franziskaner is a good Weissbeir you can get from places like Tesco.

This Budwieser: http://www.budweiserbudvar.co.uk/products

not the brewed under licence dishwater that pretends its American.

Budvar is good and you can get it pretty much anywhere which is nice when you're at a garage or something.

Belgium beer is nice once in a while but I find it too heavy and 'perfumey' to drink too much - very bad hangovers.

Another favourite of mine that spring to mind is Augustiner. A lot of people I know love 'Schlenkerla' (cheers Google) but I can't stand smoked beer. 

On another subject the worst foreign beer I've had recently (there are quite a few) is an Estonian bottle of water called Viru.

Real ale: Anything by Fullers as referenced above, I also like Badger ales but they have been (correctly) described as the alcopops of the real ale world. No great fan of IPAs. Generally happy to take pot luck on whatever Wetherspoons have on as long as it's not too strong as strong beers tend to taste sweet and cloying.

Lagers: Amstel, Galahad (Aldi own brand), Budweiser, maybe San Miguel.

Wheat beer: usually that just means Erdinger, but that's fine as it's great.

Cider: no, headache city.

Try Tesco,s

They sell in in their Shepton Mallet and Wells stores

• Admin

If you want a good local beer go to the zero degrees microbrewery. For me the pilsner is best but the bitter is pretty decent too. Excellent pizza and pasta too.

Last time I was in there I had their dark lager, it was not too bad at all. Lager's not my usual tipple unless out for a curry - for me real ale and curry just don't go together.

Last time I was in there I had their dark lager, it was not too bad at all. Lager's not my usual tipple unless out for a curry - for me real ale and curry just don't go together.

Those dark lagers are really popular in Spain at the mo- 'Doble' they call them. Damm do a really good one (Voll Damm) and there are a few local Barcelona breweries that do some great ones. I can't figure out why that style isn't more popular over here

Those dark lagers are really popular in Spain at the mo- 'Doble' they call them. Damm do a really good one (Voll Damm) and there are a few local Barcelona breweries that do some great ones. I can't figure out why that style isn't more popular over here

in the style of the Peroni Gran Riserva, CD?  My tipple of choice when we used to holiday in Umbria every year.

Archived