IGNORED

The Whisky Thread

chipdawg

In response to the self explanatory 'Beer Thread', I thought I'd start one on ales distilled northern cousin, whisky. Who's a fan and what are drinking right now?

There's so much good Whisky kicking about at the minute, its difficult to know where to start but I think that one of the best mainstream releases of recent months is Talisker Port Ruighe, a port cask aged expression which is a much fuller and richer taste than regular Talisker, but still retains those salty, lightly smoked coastal notes

In response to the self explanatory 'Beer Thread', I thought I'd start one on ales distilled northern cousin, whisky. Who's a fan and what are drinking right now?

There's so much good Whisky kicking about at the minute, its difficult to know where to start but I think that one of the best mainstream releases of recent months is Talisker Port Ruighe, a port cask aged expression which is a much fuller and richer taste than regular Talisker, but still retains those salty, lightly smoked coastal notes

The Singleton of Dufftown

Delwhinnie's

Glennfiddich Solera Reserve 15 years

Nothing to peaty thank you very much

Bowmore, preferably 40 years old. Only tasted that once, and it was divine, but the 12 year old Enigma is delightful, too. I wouldn't use the Surf to light my bonfires, either ;)

Caol Ila, Laphraiog, Lagavullin, pretty well any Isla malt.

Talisker 10yo from Skye.

Isle of Jura 10yo - very good offers from the Coop occasionally (like today).

Bedminster Intermational is good. Buy it on the way out, collect it on the way home.

PS Horace goes for a slug of the Caol Ila every time, and who has a finer nose than a hedgehog?

Bowmore, preferably 40 years old. Only tasted that once, and it was divine, but the 12 year old Enigma is delightful, too. I wouldn't use the Surf to light my bonfires, either ;)

Caol Ila, Laphraiog, Lagavullin, pretty well any Isla malt.

Talisker 10yo from Skye.

Isle of Jura 10yo - very good offers from the Coop occasionally (like today).

Bedminster Intermational is good. Buy it on the way out, collect it on the way home.

PS Horace goes for a slug of the Caol Ila every time, and who has a finer nose than a hedgehog?

I do love a drop of Bowmore; have an excellent 15 yr old in the cupboard, the oldest I've tried is a 32 and that was pretty special

On the Islays, I generally prefer the milder end in terms of peat- Bowmore, Bruichladdich. That said, I've really enjoyed some of the peatier Bruichladdich; their Port Charlotte and Octomore series have some very high high points

Sorry to lower the tone but I prefer a cheap blended Scotch to malts or bourbon.Aldi,Lidl or any supermarket.Cheaper and nastier the better.Blasphemous I know but there it is.

Yeuch. Bourbons far too sweet IMO. For septics and ladies.

If I'm going to have a blend, then Chivas Regal or Johnny Walker black....

Yeuch. Bourbons far too sweet IMO. For septics and ladies.

If I'm going to have a blend, then Chivas Regal or Johnny Walker black....

I have a real soft spot for Chivas, but don't care for Jonny Walker at all. I'd recommend Cutty Sark if you can get it, Monkey Shoulder is excellent and widely available or if your splashing out (and can find one) a bottle of Compass Box 'Flaming Heart' is one of the most fabulous whiskies I've ever tasted

"If a single malt is as a violin solo, then a blend should be like an orchestra"

I've really really tried to like the stuff but I just can't. Whiskey is not for me I'm afraid, I especially hate the smokey ones. Give me a nice gin anytime.

There is such variation in whisky though; the difference between, for example, Lagavullin which is very smokey and overpowering to Dalmore which is like liquid fruit cake is vast. If you're a gin fan I'd suggest a lowland whisky (though distilleries in the lowlands are now rather sparse) such as Auchentoshan or Glenkinchie; they tend to have a more delicate, botanical flavour. Also, try some younger whisky, i.e. a 3 year old; it tends to retain more of a grassy, floral taste before the influence of the bourbon or sherry cask begins to take hold

Interestingly enough, a number of distilleries with higher capacity (most notably Bruichladdich) are producing their own gin as gin features no ageing process so there is no delay on the revenue stream. I think that when Kilchoman was set up they alternated distilling gin and whisky as they couldn't sell the whisky as 'whisky' until it's been aged 3 years so essentially their gin paid for a bloody good islay single malt

I have a real soft spot for Chivas, but don't care for Jonny Walker at all. I'd recommend Cutty Sark if you can get it, Monkey Shoulder is excellent and widely available or if your splashing out (and can find one) a bottle of Compass Box 'Flaming Heart' is one of the most fabulous whiskies I've ever tasted

"If a single malt is as a violin solo, then a blend should be like an orchestra"

Yep, Cutty Sark is nice, although I've encountered it more abroad than over here for some reason.

Ever go for Irish, CD?

Whole different drink IMO. I generally avoid the rather-too-smooth Jamesons, and other stuff from the Midleton distillery and prefer the more fiery Armagh stuff. Black Bush is an occasional visitor to the Robbo liquer cabinet.

Yep, Cutty Sark is nice, although I've encountered it more abroad than over here for some reason.

Ever go for Irish, CD?

Whole different drink IMO. I generally avoid the rather-too-smooth Jamesons, and other stuff from the Midleton distillery and prefer the more fiery Armagh stuff. Black Bush is an occasional visitor to the Robbo liquer cabinet.

Berry Brothers have pretty much withdrawn it from high street sale over here now, buts its really big pretty much everywhere else in the world. I got a litre in duty free at Barcelona airport for 13 Euros- cheaper than milk (almost)

Irish Whiskey is a big hole in my whisky experience actually- no idea why, just always had the idea that its all rubbish, probably because I've only ever had Jamesons from over there. I've heard good things of Red Breast and Green Spot among others so maybe I'll have to rectify my lack of knowledge

Archived