IGNORED

....is There Abigger Plot Afoot?

extonsred

We are doing badly, Rovers equally so -- is the plan, one of heretical proportions I know, to get into the same league and then to merge?

I as said in earlier post have been supporting for 55 years and am fast running out of enthusiasm. Have baulked at this idea I am beginning to think it could be part of a major overhaul and quite honestly would not be as anti as I was. Immediately crowd base increases, stadium costs and income from same goes to one club and it gets, in time, the whole City behind the team.

Cannot really think of any other reason why things are such a shambles and in any case I go for conspiracy theory big time!!! We have a team and I believe a manager much more capable of doing better than we are......

Yeah it's Bristol United. I've been banging on about it for a while. I sure that most people would imagine that BCFC and BRFC fans would simply boycott a United  side. I'm not so sure. Some would boycott but they would probably eventually crack due to enjoying their football.

Lots of ifs and buts. If either BRFC or BCFC were run into the ground then I'm sure that supporters would never switch allegiance to the other club but a new club would be more palatable. 

I liked the idea on another thread that Steve had stepped back and stopped putting his hand in his pocket to show the council that if they're not going to support their local club's ambition over Ashton Vale then the city will get the level of football it deserves.

I wouldn't blame him after that debacle.

I liked the idea on another thread that Steve had stepped back and stopped putting his hand in his pocket to show the council that if they're not going to support their local club's ambition over Ashton Vale then the city will get the level of football it deserves.

I wouldn't blame him after that debacle.

The council have been supportive over Ashton Vale. It's TVG legislation that's at fault surely?

The council have been supportive over Ashton Vale. It's TVG legislation that's at fault surely?

Firstly, blame can be laid at the door of Lansdown's advisers who failed to consider that TVG legislation may be an issue.

Secondly, the TVG legislation was shit and has now been altered.

Thirdly, it was then the Council who buggered up leading to a JR. Exactly, the same seems to of happened to the Sainsburys app at the Mem.

Firstly, blame can be laid at the door of Lansdown's advisers who failed to consider that TVG legislation may be an issue.

Secondly, the TVG legislation was shit and has now been altered.

Thirdly, it was then the Council who buggered up leading to a JR. Exactly, the same seems to of happened to the Sainsburys app at the Mem.

True, but would anybody believe that BCC getting it wrong was the sign of a conspiracy?

A simple mistake would be to believe that you can add both sets of fans and you have the sum of both.

For at least 10 years you'd have so many disenfranchised people it would be a huge revenue issue.

It would make no footballing sense, the only benefit would be somebody got to sell their ground.

The best clubs come from the cities with two rival clubs (Rangers & Celtic, Everton & Liverpool) or close local rivals (Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough).

The biggest shot in the arm for Bristol football would be if the gas actually started being half-decent again so that we could consider them rivals and all the banter and interest in Bristol football would shoot up.

It would make no footballing sense, the only benefit would be somebody got to sell their ground.

The best clubs come from the cities with two rival clubs (Rangers & Celtic, Everton & Liverpool) or close local rivals (Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough).

The biggest shot in the arm for Bristol football would be if the gas actually started being half-decent again so that we could consider them rivals and all the banter and interest in Bristol football would shoot up.

Curious thing to say, but it would give us a kick up the backside.

The day we merge with Rovers is the day I find a new team to support as Bristol City will be dead.

Well, Bristol United would suit you just fine then, no?

Not at all, I wouldn't support something that was created from destroying the club I grew up supporting. 

Ask any Man United fan if they would merge with Man City and they'd tell you where to go, ask any Everton fan if they'd merge with Liverpool and you'd be called a c*** and rightfully so.

The funny thing is these forums are full of people slagging off Cardiff for selling out their identity and history and then there is this thread suggesting we do the exact same thing but join our biggest rivals to boot... ****ing crazy!

Not at all, I wouldn't support something that was created from destroying the club I grew up supporting. 

Ask any Man United fan if they would merge with Man City and they'd tell you where to go, ask any Everton fan if they'd merge with Liverpool and you'd be called a c*** and rightfully so.

The funny thing is these forums are full of people slagging off Cardiff for selling out their identity and history and then there is this thread suggesting we do the exact same thing but join our biggest rivals to boot... ****ing crazy!

The Mancs and the Scousers have no need to merge.

We are doing badly, Rovers equally so -- is the plan, one of heretical proportions I know, to get into the same league and then to merge?

I as said in earlier post have been supporting for 55 years and am fast running out of enthusiasm. Have baulked at this idea I am beginning to think it could be part of a major overhaul and quite honestly would not be as anti as I was. Immediately crowd base increases, stadium costs and income from same goes to one club and it gets, in time, the whole City behind the team.

Cannot really think of any other reason why things are such a shambles and in any case I go for conspiracy theory big time!!! We have a team and I believe a manager much more capable of doing better than we are......

The only conspiracy that I can believe, is that the club need us to be, either in League 2 or at the lower end of League 1 whilst the stadium re development takes place. Minimal disruption, with small crowds, and low numbers of away fans to worry about. Imagine closing one stand down each season, and moving the pitch while we are riding high.

If we merged with the gas, you can decrease the fan base by at least 3 because me, my dad and the boy would never in a million years be going to watch any other football team based in Bristol other than City! That would be 3 generations of fans lost forever.

Im also 100% sure you would have a fair old chunk of both fan bases who would echo what I have just said.

I can't tell if half the posters on this thread are being sarcastic, Bristol United? Really? Having grown up supporting Bristol City, seeing all the highs and all the lows, sticking by THIS club and supporting them through all the bad times, including now, a Bristol United would take a huge chunk of my life away. I wouldn't attend any matches, even with a new 40,000 seater stadium and a likelihood of top flight football, my team is and will always be Bristol City, the only thing we would see City and Rovers fans merging to do is boycott the club.

I find it hard to believe that even a small minority of City AND Rovers fans would agree to this going ahead, and, like Cardiff City, be willing to trade history, pride, and memories for a better level of football.

You can shove Bristol United up your ass. 

Why is it people keep suggesting that merging two shit teams will produce one successful one?  

Given the record of football in Bristol, it's far more likely to produce just one shit team and also deprive us of practically the only thing that spices up our generally passionless, sanitised modern football ......... that is, local rivalry.

No thanks from me, as if we can't make it as BCFC, I'd rather pack in watching league football and follow someone like Forest Green.

Archived