IGNORED

....is There Abigger Plot Afoot?

extonsred

The Mancs and the Scousers have no need to merge.

No but even if they did I guarantee you as someone with many scouse friends they'd not have it. We don't need to merge either, all we need is some stability and people running the club to know what they are doing. Both City and Rovers have been around for well over 100 years and now suddenly because both teams are not doing well we have to merge? What a crock of ...

No but even if they did I guarantee you as someone with many scouse friends they'd not have it. We don't need to merge either, all we need is some stability and people running the club to know what they are doing. Both City and Rovers have been around for well over 100 years and now suddenly because both teams are not doing well we have to merge? What a crock of ...

We don't HAVE to merge. 

My own feeling is we'll never reach and sustain top flight football in this city whilst there are 2 teams. Having attended since the mid sixties, I really am f ucked off with with constant mediocrity and often worse. I'd like to see top flight football on a regular basis in Bristol, that aint gonna happen with the current set up.

It would make no footballing sense, the only benefit would be somebody got to sell their ground.

The best clubs come from the cities with two rival clubs (Rangers & Celtic, Everton & Liverpool) or close local rivals (Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough).

The biggest shot in the arm for Bristol football would be if the gas actually started being half-decent again so that we could consider them rivals and all the banter and interest in Bristol football would shoot up.

I do recall R*vers players acreditting us with motivating them with that miraculous run to the play offs and promotion the year of the Johnson promotion.

My old man always reckoned the clubs are like to squabbling siblings and their only ambition is to be above the other. And everyone listens to their old man.

Sad though finishing above R*vers is the height of our ambition, no to a Bristol United even though I do think we're held back nationally because of local pride.

You can not dismiss tradition.

We don't HAVE to merge. 

My own feeling is we'll never reach and sustain top flight football in this city whilst there are 2 teams. Having attended since the mid sixties, I really am f ucked off with with constant mediocrity and often worse. I'd like to see top flight football on a regular basis in Bristol, that aint gonna happen with the current set up.

The only reason we'll never achieve it is because Bristol is so backwards, not so much our fans but more of the City and the manner in what it prioritises. 

I've lived in both Bristol and Cardiff and having seen Cardiff grow so much whilst Bristol is going backwards rather than forwards it makes me realise the City itself is a large problem. Unless the City of Bristol decides in the near future that sport should be a big part of it's plans then no we'll never see top flight football regularly and merging two teams into one won't change that either. I think Lansdown had a good idea when he tried to bring sport to the forefront of Bristol but I also think it's fair to say that has failed too.

The City and it's "old fashioned ways" aside you also have to look at Swansea and Cardiff and see that they were not so different to us not so long ago but have both made it into the Prem and both with very different ways. Merging us with Rovers would more than likely divide the support right down the middle with both sets of fans hating it and so even if it drew in more fans it would only replace those who would walk away.

The idea that you're bored with mediocrity is understandable as I too would love to have a bit of banter with my mates who support Premiership teams but if it means I have to start supporting a "Bristol United" I may as well just support Cardiff Dragons as it's closer and just as plastic and manufactured as a Bristol United team would be. That said, I'd rather not support any football team than support Cardiff City or a merged team as it just isn't the club I grew up watching with my father, it wouldn't be the club that got me into football, it just wouldn't be the same and wouldn't give us any better of a chance to achieve top flight football.

I liked the idea on another thread that Steve had stepped back and stopped putting his hand in his pocket to show the council that if they're not going to support their local club's ambition over Ashton Vale then the city will get the level of football it deserves.

I wouldn't blame him after that debacle.

I'm sure that Green pillock, Georgie Fergisson, will be kept awake at night by the thought of this

There will have to be a bloody "big" "plot" "afoot" and "available," if we're to merge with those basement dwellers and build a new ground. Well, actually, one end, their end, needn't be too big.

Anyway, how do Dagenham AND Redbridge manage with this?

(I'm cheering for Redbridge, Saturday, by the way).

Actually, I'd be in favour of Bristol Utd.  There'd be some fun 'n' games around where we play, colours*, etc., but ultimately my head says that "one team" makes sense in Bristol, as it's not a traditional football hotbed.  But my heart says...hmmmm...

*White, probably, with a green 'n' yellow or red 'n' blue away kit

There will have to be a bloody "big" "plot" "afoot" and "available," if we're to merge with those basement dwellers and build a new ground. Well, actually, one end, their end, needn't be too big.

Anyway, how do Dagenham AND Redbridge manage with this?

(I'm cheering for Redbridge, Saturday, by the way).

Actually, wasn't the cup draw Dagenham or Redbridge? Have they not played the replay yet? They'd better get a move on

Errr...am I missing something here?  Thought they were one team?

I can't tell if half the posters on this thread are being sarcastic, Bristol United? Really? Having grown up supporting Bristol City, seeing all the highs and all the lows, sticking by THIS club and supporting them through all the bad times, including now, a Bristol United would take a huge chunk of my life away. I wouldn't attend any matches, even with a new 40,000 seater stadium and a likelihood of top flight football, my team is and will always be Bristol City, the only thing we would see City and Rovers fans merging to do is boycott the club.

I find it hard to believe that even a small minority of City AND Rovers fans would agree to this going ahead, and, like Cardiff City, be willing to trade history, pride, and memories for a better level of football.

You can shove Bristol United up your ass.

Eloquantly put sir..I second that emotion.its in the blood.simple.good bad or indifferent its BCFC or-as you said it.....

Errr...am I missing something here?  Thought they were one team?

You tell me. Modern football is bewildering to an old codge like me.

Back in my day, Crawley was a skinny kid who batted for England once or twice. Burton was a smelly place you pissed past on the way to Derby. Accrington Stanley was something to do with milk, or a TV ad, or something. Yeovil were cup-upstarts with a sloppy pitch. Fleetwood was a drummer who had a go at TV awards presenting. Morecambe a Luton supporting, comic genius. The Rovers were a bag of sh1te, playing in a crap ground, before sparse crowds (no, hang on, that hasn't changed, has it? Don't tell me that's changed as well!) and the City were flying! And Moyesie was a ginger haired centre back with all the balance and poise of a ten minute old, baby giraffe. And The Stevenage was yet to come; it was the 'Les-age,' down BS3, trips to Wembley, late runs to the play offs, accurate attendance announcements, vision, pillars (who put more pillars in the Williams?) Steven was busy making a mint and wondering how he could possibly follow in my glorious footsteps.

What the blazes has happened to football?

The only conspiracy that I can believe, is that the club need us to be, either in League 2 or at the lower end of League 1 whilst the stadium re development takes place. Minimal disruption, with small crowds, and low numbers of away fans to worry about. Imagine closing one stand down each season, and moving the pitch while we are riding high.

Been saying this forca while now. I truly believe we will kick on once the stadium is developed. Maybe even after the new ee and dolman are built. Ground will hold 17k whilst the williams is being rebuilt anyway.

What do the Gas have that City would actually want?

They aren't known as the blue few for nothing, have a crap stadium and crap players.

Plus there would be a large percentage of both sets of fans that would not support a Bristol United, including me. It would a lose lose situation.

What do the Gas have that City would actually want?

They aren't known as the blue few for nothing, have a crap stadium and crap players.

Plus there would be a large percentage of both sets of fans that would not support a Bristol United, including me. It would a lose lose situation.

It may be that in the end that we have no choice.

Financially neither of the clubs is commercially viable in any real sense. In fact, looking below the Prem and posiibly Championship perhaps most League 1 and 2 clubs aren't viable in the long term. It's a different debate, but the whole idea of a 92 club professional football league needs some serious thought.

If Bristol wants to compete it may have to do something drastic and expecting a rich man to continue to waste millions on something doomed to failure isn't realistic. Merger is one obvious option.

Whilst I don't want to see any sort of merger it may be that after a while more and more people would drift into watching a Bristol United, playing in red and blue quarters than you imagine. Over time, people with no axe to grind will come, particularly if the team's performing well. Those like yourself can sit at home and wish for the past if they want but if won't change anything and they'll be a diminishing number.

Of course, the actual process of making the change would be hell on wheels. Could you imagine the trouble? You'd need to live on an lsland to avoid the aggro.

It's not impossible, IMO, and if I were tio bet on where I would think the ground would be it would be an expanded UWE stadium - near the M32, M4, M5, Bristol Parkway and having massive residential developments nearby. Easily funded by the sales of Ashton Gate and the Mem.

Blasphemy I know, and certainly not what I want, but trying to be dispassionate if looks a disctinct possibility. 

Archived