IGNORED

In Transition

Drew Peacock

It's not exactly rocket science. We can only spend 60% of turnover on wages under the FFP rules. Our turnover is lower than last year due to smaller crowds and less TV money and league share of the kitty. Five or six of the highly paid players from last year are taking up 75% to 80% of the available wages budget. I am sure that both SOD and SD would splash a bit of cash if that was possible - and they have been through the loan system. There will have to be some transfers out of the expensive non-playing journeymen in January to be able to make any substantial now signings. In the meantime SOD has to scratch around with cheaper and younger players in order to field a team. There is a fair bit of promise in this approach but he is having to battle against a whole load of frustrated and unsympathetic "so called" fans, who think that SL's chequebook can answer all problems - even though he could be awarded a transfer embargo if he breaches the salary limits.

All this is difficult and brings about a great need for good and supportive fans to help OUR club over this period of transition. We are in transition because the expensive non-playing journeymen will be off the payroll when their contracts run out at the end of the season and then SOD will have the budget to really build a team of his own that can challenge for promotion.

So how about waking up and smelling the coffee and supporting OUR club through this transition?

It's not exactly rocket science. We can only spend 60% of turnover on wages under the FFP rules. Our turnover is lower than last year due to smaller crowds and less TV money and league share of the kitty. Five or six of the highly paid players from last year are taking up 75% to 80% of the available wages budget. I am sure that both SOD and SD would splash a bit of cash if that was possible - and they have been through the loan system. There will have to be some transfers out of the expensive non-playing journeymen in January to be able to make any substantial now signings. In the meantime SOD has to scratch around with cheaper and younger players in order to field a team. There is a fair bit of promise in this approach but he is having to battle against a whole load of frustrated and unsympathetic "so called" fans, who think that SL's chequebook can answer all problems - even though he could be awarded a transfer embargo if he breaches the salary limits.

All this is difficult and brings about a great need for good and supportive fans to help OUR club over this period of transition. We are in transition because the expensive non-playing journeymen will be off the payroll when their contracts run out at the end of the season and then SOD will have the budget to really build a team of his own that can challenge for promotion.

So how about waking up and smelling the coffee and supporting OUR club through this transition?

Getting well-paid professional footballers to not hoof the ball up to a 5ft4 striker isn't exactly rocket science either

I think he has.

not yet he hasn't, he's just cut the playing budget to meet the new FFP restrictions something he had to do anyway,

he covered the 18 million loss in 2011/12, I'm sure he'll cover last seasons loss (which I'm guessing to be 10 million at least),

Next years accounts will make intresting reading which is when we will get a better picture of the cost cutting we've been doing and how much we have reduced the losses by,

Lets not forget we've had money to spend (flint fielding parish) and all these loans aren't free ether there is nearly always a fee involved unless it is a youth loan like Spence and Caulker were a few seasons ago

It's all very well blaming ffp, but like the op has said, aren't we all effected by it? If we were third would everyone be saying 'aren't we doing well for a team in transition'? Course not.....

I'm fed up of hearing about transition to be honest, this is a squad better than bottom of the table and one win in 23 no matter what label you want to stick on it.

I think the transition process is used more and more because we've changed practically everything about the club, some for better and some for worse. Things won't change overnight and the club are using this as an excuse IMO. I'm still behind sod and the team but they need to change their approach towards this 'transition'.

It's not exactly rocket science. We can only spend 60% of turnover on wages under the FFP rules. Our turnover is lower than last year due to smaller crowds and less TV money and league share of the kitty. Five or six of the highly paid players from last year are taking up 75% to 80% of the available wages budget. I am sure that both SOD and SD would splash a bit of cash if that was possible - and they have been through the loan system. There will have to be some transfers out of the expensive non-playing journeymen in January to be able to make any substantial now signings. In the meantime SOD has to scratch around with cheaper and younger players in order to field a team. There is a fair bit of promise in this approach but he is having to battle against a whole load of frustrated and unsympathetic "so called" fans, who think that SL's chequebook can answer all problems - even though he could be awarded a transfer embargo if he breaches the salary limits.All this is difficult and brings about a great need for good and supportive fans to help OUR club over this period of transition. We are in transition because the expensive non-playing journeymen will be off the payroll when their contracts run out at the end of the season and then SOD will have the budget to really build a team of his own that can challenge for promotion.So how about waking up and smelling the coffee and supporting OUR club through this transition?

Exactly right but unfortunately you are wasting your time trying to explain what's actually happening whithin the club to those who can't see past the results. They don't realise that the clubs structure has needed a complete overhaul for years on and off the pitch and now it's underway they are complaining that City are struggling in the league.

No change was not an option. No gain without pain and all that.

Exactly right but unfortunately you are wasting your time trying to explain what's actually happening whithin the club to those who can't see past the results. They don't realise that the clubs structure has needed a complete overhaul for years on and off the pitch and now it's underway they are complaining that City are struggling in the league.

I'm sure most realise that but there's a limit to the amount of pain we should be expected to endure.

The pain of another relegation certainly would not be acceptable.

A few brief episodes without torture in this transition is really not much to ask.

how long do you give it? until we are relegated to league two? the confrence?

People can't see past results because football is a results driven business we don't get points for wanting to do things the right way, we don't stay up because we talk a good game,

Things should be improving and they haven't they have got a lot worse and its contuning to decline, it can not go on

People can't see past results because football is a results driven business we don't get points for wanting to do things the right way, we don't stay up because we talk a good game,

Things should be improving and they haven't they have got a lot worse and its contuning to decline, it can not go on

City have plenty of games to go and as long as we finish outside the drop zone then that's ok by me. I seriously can't see us as a relegation threat come April.

Next season with all the high earners gone from the wage bill and club more professionally run ODriscoll will be able to produce a team capable of returning to the Championship.

Stick with it lads.

City have plenty of games to go and as long as we finish outside the drop zone then that's ok by me. I seriously can't see us as a relegation threat come April.

Next season with all the high earners gone from the wage bill and club more professionally run ODriscoll will be able to produce a team capable of returning to the Championship.

Stick with it lads.

I don't agree with you but thats fair enough, I do have no faith at the moment at all, 11 home league games without a win (almost half a season) and 1 win in 23 league games (half a season) is a long time Robbo, managers have been sacked for a lot less, I feel personally he's had a fair chance,

The problem I have is that he keeps coming up with excuses which are getting stranger as the season goes on, this is His team, he's had scope to bring players in and he's had the backing in the loan market for the "short" term fix and no matter what he does it keeps getting worse,

You can't give him the excuse of using some one else's players because he's not he's using his own he signed

Stick with it lads.

Personally I preferred it when we were less professionally run with a conference manager.

When we get to 1645 on a Saturday afternoon the results are the only thing that matter. Certainly to me it is anyway, I'll go to the game, lose my voice supporting the lads but at full time it's about the result.

Personally I preferred it when we were less professionally run with a conference manager.

When we get to 1645 on a Saturday afternoon the results are the only thing that matter. Certainly to me it is anyway, I'll go to the game, lose my voice supporting the lads but at full time it's about the result.

I agree, and even if it wasn't about the result, most of the performances have been absolutely dire, we look like conceding every time the opposition attacks and under this clown we're going down.

Agree with this; please tell us by the way, sod walks on water fans (as you wait for the penny to drop), just how long should sod be given and when will your patience run out ?

Christmas, end of season, next Christmas, for-ever, until the fools upstairs say so, until he creates a super team that will storm up to the prem, till he replaces the 5 over paid wasters and those replacements themselves are given time to gell/transit to the dreary master plan, just how long? :dunno:

So another relegation, and another clearout/baleout, further reduced season tickets sold, smaller gtes, next to **** all telly money is an acceptable price to hanging on to a manager who has one win in 22 league games and four wins in 26 games?

If this was Johnson, you would have gone into overdrive with criticism (And in fairness collected bucketloads of abuse back)...

SOD's current form bearing in mind his previous record, and the fact the overwhelming majority of this team was signed by him, and a majority of those signed have played for him before, really does nor bear close scrutiny does it.

As it iseven binning him now would like as not not stop us getting relegated without a spectacular collapse in form of at least one of the cluster of teams above us..

Sorry the whole arguement has been undermined by his dismal run, his less than inspiring press conferences, the endless excuses, and the ****** DIRE football were having to endure..

I would make no change to the manager before the end of the season. Regardless of league position.

The wage bill v budget is the problem, he can't sign the quality of players he wants as it's eaten up by players on big money who he can't shift and aren't good enough.

Until the end of the season when they have been cleared out, we are limited in the market.

Hence the current struggle.

I would make no change to the manager before the end of the season. Regardless of league position.

The wage bill v budget is the problem, he can't sign the quality of players he wants as it's eaten up by players on big money who he can't shift and aren't good enough.

Until the end of the season when they have been cleared out, we are limited in the market.

CORRECTAMUNDO!!

1, :w00t:  So you wouldn't sack Sod till the end of the season, just when he can sign his quality players.

2, Those high earners were deemed good enough to play in the champ, but not even in the 3rd tier,

3, Any player that he does sign of "quality" will cost that "big money" and may not want to play in the 4th tier.

4, The current struggle/transition period is down to poor management on all levels.

5,Carey for instance has not played (hardly) after being given a years contract by YOUR man, in fact spends even more bringing in players to play where Carey could play? Kilkenny cant remember the last full game he played for us, Wynter has fallen out with SOD? there are other players that could play but sod chooses not to select but bring in others that sit on the bench.

6, Jet will be gone in an instant when any sort of offer comes in for him in the next window.

7,Poor player selection by the current manager and poor manager selection by the current board is the problem

So another relegation, and another clearout/baleout, further reduced season tickets sold, smaller gtes, next to **** all telly money is an acceptable price to hanging on to a manager who has one win in 22 league games and four wins in 26 games?If this was Johnson, you would have gone into overdrive with criticism (And in fairness collected bucketloads of abuse back)...SOD's current form bearing in mind his previous record, and the fact the overwhelming majority of this team was signed by him, and a majority of those signed have played for him before, really does nor bear close scrutiny does it.As it iseven binning him now would like as not not stop us getting relegated without a spectacular collapse in form of at least one of the cluster of teams above us..Sorry the whole arguement has been undermined by his dismal run, his less than inspiring press conferences, the endless excuses, and the ****** DIRE football were having to endure..

Big difference now to when Johnson was in charge who didn't have to work under the same restrictions as ODriscoll. In fact Johnson had a free rein to do whatever he wanted. Despite that he produced football that was less exciting than watching paint dry.

1, :w00t: So you wouldn't sack Sod till the end of the season, just when he can sign his quality players.

2, Those high earners were deemed good enough to play in the champ, but not even in the 3rd tier,

3, Any player that he does sign of "quality" will cost that "big money" and may not want to play in the 4th tier.

4, The current struggle/transition period is down to poor management on all levels.

5,Carey for instance has not played (hardly) after being given a years contract by YOUR man, in fact spends even more bringing in players to play where Carey could play? Kilkenny cant remember the last full game he played for us, Wynter has fallen out with SOD? there are other players that could play but sod chooses not to select but bring in others that sit on the bench.

6, Jet will be gone in an instant when any sort of offer comes in for him in the next window.

7,Poor player selection by the current manager and poor manager selection by the current board is the problem

Did you hear ODriscoll on Twentyman? He answered questions about Kilkenny and Fontaine during the show. He also explained about Wynter.

Btw way Carey has been injured again.

Anything else you don't understand?

• Admin

Did you hear ODriscoll on Twentyman? He answered questions about Kilkenny and Fontaine during the show. He also explained about Wynter.

Btw way Carey has been injured again.

Anything else you don't understand?

Would suggest that poor player selection goes deaper than the names mentioned.

We can all see that the formation is negative and uninspiring, at least if we "had a go" and lost would be easier to accept, rather than the tame negative football we have had to endure recently.

Personally I think we are crying out for a 3-5-2

Baldock and Taylor up front, JET 'floating' in behind them - it would be harder to pick him up and mark him

Surely tonight changes HAVE to be made ?

Would suggest that poor player selection goes deaper than the names mentioned.

We can all see that the formation is negative and uninspiring, at least if we "had a go" and lost would be easier to accept, rather than the tame negative football we have had to endure recently.

Personally I think we are crying out for a 3-5-2

Baldock and Taylor up front, JET 'floating' in behind them - it would be harder to pick him up and mark him

Surely tonight changes HAVE to be made ?

Do you known what formation ODriscoll actually uses? It seems to vary game by game.

He usually has two attacking full backs but against Oldham he didn't. I get the impression he's looking to find a regular formation at AG but injuries\form and suspensions hinder that.

To me there's a distinct lack of creativity in the middle and when both Elliot and Pack start there's even less. Maybe 3-5-2 is the answer.

Big difference now to when Johnson was in charge who didn't have to work under the same restrictions as ODriscoll. In fact Johnson had a free rein to do whatever he wanted. Despite that he produced football that was less exciting than watching paint dry.

complete and utter horse shit and you know it

Archived