IGNORED

The Scott Davidson Phenomenon

Jordan Tansley

In the last few days I've seen a number of posts highlighting Scott Davidson's reign as chairman as something to aspire to and how he would be the ideal man to replace SL, it's intrigued me.

Scott was chairman when I first started supporting city so I was quite young, but my memory of that time was of him being a bit of a fool who got too involved. Now I understand the frustrations now aimed at SL as the antithesis of SD, but would the kind of chairmanship that landed us with Pulis over Moyes and Benny coming in over the head of John Ward or even the OTT investment in strikers when we desperately needed a centre back really be an improvement?

There's a lot of insightful posts simply stating "sack the board"(Even though this board has been in for about 5 minutes and we've seen major upheaval in all board positions in the recent past) lately, I'm just intrigued as to why Davidson's name keeps cropping up?

Scott Davidson as chairman didn't want Pulis. But as chairman you get the casting vote. If the board have the majority, the decision is made.

As for Benny, Ward went to Davidson and asked for help. He wanted Lenny Lawrence (iirc) but Davidson opted for Benny. I think actually Davidson showed there just how astute he was. The fact Ward wouldn't work with him and Benny had to do a job he was not approached to do is another story.

He also had nowhere near the money Steve Lansdown spends. We'd not cover our annual losses, as media friendly as he was.

I suppose the ideal scenario people are clinging to is that either Lansdown takes all his debts with him or remains investor but we have SD back as chairman?

I don't actually know as I'm pretty opinion-less regarding the BoD. I accept they're not doing a cracking job though, and the disconnect between fan and club is probably at its lowest ebb for one reason or another.

In the last few days I've seen a number of posts highlighting Scott Davidson's reign as chairman as something to aspire to and how he would be the ideal man to replace SL, it's intrigued me.

Scott was chairman when I first started supporting city so I was quite young, but my memory of that time was of him being a bit of a fool who got too involved. Now I understand the frustrations now aimed at SL as the antithesis of SD, but would the kind of chairmanship that landed us with Pulis over Moyes and Benny coming in over the head of John Ward or even the OTT investment in strikers when we desperately needed a centre back really be an improvement?

There's a lot of insightful posts simply stating "sack the board"(Even though this board has been in for about 5 minutes and we've seen major upheaval in all board positions in the recent past) lately, I'm just intrigued as to why Davidson's name keeps cropping up?

.I thought  it was Davidson that was trying to get Moyes when Laycock and Lansdown booted him out.I am pro Davidson .When he was chairman I wrote a letter to the Board with umpteen moans in it and the bloke rang me up at home and had a chat and rang again some weeks later to see what I felt.I honestly felt the man cared as much as I did and someone who was passionate about the club.Whether right or wrong I believed in what he was trying to do, I even bought some shares.I don't feel that about Lansdown.

.I thought  it was Davidson that was trying to get Moyes when Laycock and Lansdown booted him out.I am pro Davidson .

Correct.  Laycock and Lansdown appointed Pulis

.I thought  it was Davidson that was trying to get Moyes when Laycock and Lansdown booted him out.I am pro Davidson .When he was chairman I wrote a letter to the Board with umpteen moans in it and the bloke rang me up at home and had a chat and rang again some weeks later to see what I felt.I honestly felt the man cared as much as I did and someone who was passionate about the club.Whether right or wrong I believed in what he was trying to do, I even bought some shares.I don't feel that about Lansdown.

Think that is pretty spot on tbh

.I thought it was Davidson that was trying to get Moyes when Laycock and Lansdown booted him out.I am pro Davidson .When he was chairman I wrote a letter to the Board with umpteen moans in it and the bloke rang me up at home and had a chat and rang again some weeks later to see what I felt.I honestly felt the man cared as much as I did and someone who was passionate about the club.Whether right or wrong I believed in what he was trying to do, I even bought some shares.I don't feel that about Lansdown.

I agree re Scott Davidson, he was a real fan friendly chairman.

It would be nice to think that SL could get him involved with the club once again.

I think people are just clinging to any hope of a potential saviour.  The Lansdown circus has us all by the balls.

Steve Lansdown has now shown his true colours as an ex Tote Ender and big business financier and he's left this club high and dry at the bottom of the third tier of English football. The final straw for me is how the Steve Lansdwon regime sided with the Welsh Police against some of our most staunch supporters.

The thread title sounds like some sort of jazz group.

On a musical theme, I remember SD saying before we played Watford that it was the meeting of the only 2 football club chairmen who had played at Wembley. Scott was obviously the big star playing on stage alongside Bros and The Pet Shop Boys :clapping: . Not sure what happened to the Watford Chairman :handbags: ?

Would SD want to take on a club with so many problems at the moment?

Definately could do a job, you could live off his enthusiasm alone. Huge City fan and still a season ticket holder.

Would he want it though?

Personally, I wouldn't want a genuine bloke like Scott Davidson have to pick up from the shit that financier and alleged ex Tote Ender Steve Lansdown has left this club in. This club's regime siding with the Police against our own supporters was bang out of order and an absolute disgrace and totally unacceptable.

I'd have SD back as chairman in a heartbeat, he genuinely loved the club. When he took over as chairman back in 1996, the club was in a position similar to what it is in now. Struggling after relegation, dwindling crowds etc. He embraced the clubs history, increased the number of season ticket holders, improved the ground by covering up the wall in front the Dolman etc. He also backed Joe Jordan in the transfer market to go and sign exciting players like Goater and Goodridge. In simple terms he did the job that needs doing now.

Scott Davidson as chairman didn't want Pulis. But as chairman you get the casting vote. If the board have the majority, the decision is made.

As for Benny, Ward went to Davidson and asked for help. He wanted Lenny Lawrence (iirc) but Davidson opted for Benny. I think actually Davidson showed there just how astute he was. The fact Ward wouldn't work with him and Benny had to do a job he was not approached to do is another story.

It was the late Ray Harford I believe.

Archived