IGNORED

A View From An Oldham Perspective.

The Casual Connoisseur

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php/the-tour/5-on-the-road/163-season-6-bristol-city

Found this on the Latics forum, made for interesting reading.

A decent enough report but what I found so charming was the reviewers depiction, opinion and perspective of our club, City, people and support.

It's a nice read amid all the dross of us all being hooligans blah blah blah......

I should add I watched that photo with the flag being taken. They were a really nice couple actually and I heard the story of why they do it.

Lots of time for proper football fans.

As sh*t as this league is - and it is sh*t - the football supporters and atmosphere is markedly different both home and away, in a good way.

In other words - we can afford to pay half the team much higher wages for players than anyone else.

Right you are. I am sure Crawley may like to be able to do that too....

Simply highlights that being down near the bottom when our relegation partners are 2nd and 3rd is fricken disgraceful.

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php/the-tour/5-on-the-road/163-season-6-bristol-city

Found this on the Latics forum, made for interesting reading.

A decent enough report but what I found so charming was the reviewers depiction, opinion and perspective of our club, City, people and support.

It's a nice read amid all the dross of us all being hooligans blah blah blah......

Mate...there is already a thread on this..

No.

You misunderstand.

You see, we were once in the Championship and were paying big wages commensurate with that division. When we were relegated, a lot of players were still getting the big wages (you with me so far) with the new players getting League One wages.

I fail to see that it has anything whatsoever to do with our position.

So - Championship wages to players.... Can we therefore assume that they were playing football in the Championship?

A league higher than the one where we are now hanging with the dross and the sh*t near the bottom?

Crawley, a team just out of non-league I am sure would like to have brought players down from the Championship and be paying said wages....

You've basically highlighted we have a higher wage budget because we are paying Championship wages to players from that division.

Peterborough and Wolves are doing the same.

They are 2nd and 3rd and we are 20th.

Big thread earlier on this, but no harm in revisiting it - its a good read.

We may have the 2nd largest budget in the division (I have no idea if that is true or not), but as has been explained many many times - it is eaten up by 5 players still on large salaries. Why people can't, don't or won't understand that is beyond me.

I've seen this mentioned a few times.

The reason some people will not accept what you are saying is probably because of this interview Jon Lansdown did with the Bristol Post

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-s-wages-budget-highest-division/story-19945202-detail/story.html

JL Quote - "I'm not going to throw anything back at Sean and I'm not going to make excuses, but our budget for wages is still higher than a lot of teams in this division, even if you take those four or five players out of the equation."

Its obvious that our budget will be amongst the highest having just come from the championship.  The point is that we cannot make full use of it because of those players still on a huge wage. 

Some people take things literally - we have a big budget so we should have better players than other teams, which is nonsense when you look at the situation in perspective.

No, the point is that even with those players on it, we still have one of the biggest budgets.

I agree, budget means little at this level - look at Yeovil last season but the fact that some posters use our budget restrictions as an excuse for our poor start is just nonsense.  

I defend S'OD an awful lot but the resources he has available to him at this level are far far bigger and better than most managers have - even with those 4 or 5 players.

Obviously.

And I've not seen anyone use budget restriction as an excuse for the poor start - just that it restricts the quality of player that can be signed. To expect us to be able to sign better players than Oldham or Crawley or to be able to perform better based purely on figures taken out of context is just plain daft.

Anyway, like I said, I give up.

Well then I suggest you read the JL interview......he is could be completely wrong of course. Him and S'OD seem to have differing views on our budget restrictions.

I will go to Reading on Saturday with an open mind and see if I'm being unreasonable about level of entertainment I was treated to on Tues by a side that not less than a year ago was in this same division?

If Reading v QPR is about the same and the fans are happy with "the result" I'll concede you were right?

So - Championship wages to players.... Can we therefore assume that they were playing football in the Championship?

A league higher than the one where we are now hanging with the dross and the sh*t near the bottom?

Crawley, a team just out of non-league I am sure would like to have brought players down from the Championship and be paying said wages....

You've basically highlighted we have a higher wage budget because we are paying Championship wages to players from that division.

Peterborough and Wolves are doing the same.

They are 2nd and 3rd and we are 20th.

Just because they're stuck on championship wages does not make them good players.

That's the unfortunate truth. A large proportion of the 'massive budget' we have is eaten up by players we don't want or aren't good enough.

When they are gone and if we retain the same size budget then one would assume that an influx of quality would come. One would assume that we might get something close to value for money from that reinvestment.

It's not an excuse though, but it does make the argument about budgets less applicable as the contracts that do take up a significant proportion of the budget are useless to us. It's wasted money, and that's not really anyone's fault that's currently associated with the day to day running of the club.

That's the slow process everyone is talking about. Once the full budget is available to be spent on all areas as opposed just gap plugging then we might see a real improvement.

That said, what we do have is better than what our current position says and that really does need to addressed.

Archived