IGNORED

How Many Players (If You Have Some Spare Time)

Eddie Hitler

Thinking how long Louis Carey has been here (ignoring his quick trip to Coventry) there will be lots of fans who have always seen him in the team / squad whilst they have been supporting City.

Which got me wondering about who had been in the team the longest when Louis started, ?Keith Welch - really don't know, and then go back from there.  I'm guessing 15 players will get you back to the start of the club, and then you have the predecessor clubs.

I reckon there will be four or five players taking me back to 1979 because the Ashton Gate Eight days and the youth team that followed made for a lot of changes.

Anyway, I'll start with the easy one:

Louis Carey present back to 1995

Are you restricting this to players only?

Jock Rae joined City in 1936 and was still with the club FIFTY years later, in 1987 as Chief Scout. He led City out at Wembley for the AWS Final.

Jock Rae.

What an absolute legend. I will never forget the day he rang my house phone and offered me a trial with City. Oh I miss those days  :(

Matt Bryant 1989-96

Rob Newman 1981-1991

Geoff Merrick 1967-1982

John Atyeo 1951-1966

Brilliant, thanks Aizoon. I was guessing Rob Newman and big John but I didn't realise Matt Bryant had been here that long, or that Geoff Merrick (who I well remember) had already been here 12 years when I first saw him play (1979).

So that's four players covering my whole supporting time, and two years away from only three.

Are you restricting this to players only?

Jock Rae joined City in 1936 and was still with the club FIFTY years later, in 1987 as Chief Scout. He led City out at Wembley for the AWS Final.

Not at all, I didn't think people would know dates for other staff. I remember the legend that was Buster Footman but I wouldn't know when he started.

That's amazing about Jock Rae, I didn't know that.

Archived