IGNORED

Sod - Post Dagenham On Os

Calculus

A lot of people on this forum have realised for a while that we are putting foundations down for a new future.

Unfortunately others don't get it,and think we should win every game and be top of the league.

FFS Bill everybody gets it, it's just that this is our 3rd set of foundations because of the sins of our owner and our foundations take longer to set than most of football.

He's been saying this since day one... What exactly do people think is happening at the club that they find these comments surprising.

Don't think so.

We've always known that we are rebuilding, going for youth, 5 pillars etc..

We've always known that managers don't last for ever and SOD himself has said this.

What's different about this statement is that it's the first time I've heard SOD limit himslef to laying foundations only.

Maybe I'm reading in to much sublety or nuance into this - but it seems a slight change of empasis to me and looks lke his mind is on the exit door and possibly sooner rather than later.

Just my reading of it, nowt else ... I'm a SOD supporter and would be very happy to be wrong.

Yes i found it and odd thing to say. If I would have put down the grassroots. I would want to water and feed it and watch it grow through the winter. Then enjoy looking at it in the spring as it grows with the sun on it. Then cut and trim the grass, so I could say thats all my own work. I hope SOD gets to do that very thing.

Aimed at me :)

Not at all, but like you Esmond, I read the forum.

I obviously imagine the posts that say we are too good to be where we are,and why we don't win every week.

Never mind.

Bill not aimed at you specifically, apart from the over exaggeration (highlighted) we all know what you and others know, many have lost their faith because this has not happened overnight and after GJ his 3 successors have said exactly what SOD is saying now there is absolutely no difference whatsoever in fact DMC used the 'root and branch' analogy and both he and Millen started to push for more resources to go into the academy and more back room staff, so the process was started before SOD arrived, he never invented it and the style of football between the 3 of them is similar (except SOD doesn't do wingers) but between them and including SOD there were/are still too many mistakes being made IMO.

But here is my real problem I don't see anywhere in SOD's cv where he created a sustainable consistent team, his record has always been win a few, lose a few with a couple of draws thrown in, he doesn't inspire me with confidence i'm sorry about that, but do you know what I hope that I am wrong I really do because it would really be nice to start to expect wins and be disappointed when we don't, rather than expect very little and never be disappointed.

Bill not aimed at you specifically, apart from the over exaggeration (highlighted) we all know what you and others know, many have lost their faith because this has not happened overnight and after GJ his 3 successors have said exactly what SOD is saying now there is absolutely no difference whatsoever in fact DMC used the 'root and branch' analogy and both he and Millen started to push for more resources to go into the academy and more back room staff, so the process was started before SOD arrived, he never invented it and the style of football between the 3 of them is similar (except SOD doesn't do wingers) but between them and including SOD there were/are still too many mistakes being made IMO.

But here is my real problem I don't see anywhere in SOD's cv where he created a sustainable consistent team, his record has always been win a few, lose a few with a couple of draws thrown in, he doesn't inspire me with confidence i'm sorry about that, but do you know what I hope that I am wrong I really do because it would really be nice to start to expect wins and be disappointed when we don't, rather than expect very little and never be disappointed.

I agree with you, I really do.

I've never said SOD is some kind of saviour, but I do believe that if given time he will improve our club. I'm a wingers man, but am happy to see if "his" kind of pass and move ( give it time!!) will eventually improve us.

I've never expected a lot, over the last 40 years ive seen us in the lower 2 divisions for probably 20 of my City supporting years.

Take away our 4 years at the top and the couple of good Championship seasons it's not really much to get excited about.

The expectation levels went zooming up after the recent play off final,and for some It still seems they base that as where we should be competing as a club.

Realistically imo we are probably about 10-15 places down from our rightful position in the English football pecking order.

Obviously I would love to see us doing a lot better and in a higher division, but my expectation levels are worn after all these years!

A lot of people on this forum have realised for a while that we are putting foundations down for a new future.

Unfortunately others don't get it,and think we should win every game and be top of the league.

That's odd, I don't recall anybody saying any such thing. I understand the point you are trying to make about realistic expectations but this kind of overstatement and straw man argument, which SOD has used himself but happily seems to have dropped, only undermines the case. You do not persuade anybody by misrepresenting their position. It would be equally bogus to characterise your position as SOD must never be questioned, there are no problems at the club and every performance has been perfect, a line that has certainly been taken by the opposing camp. This whole "moaners" vs "happy clappers"thing is as tedious as ever.

Most of us are neither true believers nor traitors to the cause. We perfectly well understand the long term plan, though personally I could do without the management speak that goes with it, and we did not expect much from this season. Like SOD himself we did not expect it to be as bad as it has been so far either. We retain a healthy scepticism, always a good idea when it comes to football clubs I think.

Understandable emotional reactions immediately after a game aside, it would be nice if people could make their case without resorting to misrepresenting each others' position.

Archived