IGNORED

What's The Point?

PFree

would you rather watch Kilkenny on 8k a week giving the ball away or bobby ried on 1k a week giving th ball away,

what is happening at the club behind the scenes in balancing the books and trying to reduce losses is 100% correct and frankly idiotic to question this,

How do you know?  Are you privy to the communications between SL/The Board and interested parties?

SL hasn't offered the club for sale, to my knowledge - so it's unlikely that anyone is 'rushing forward'...

Why should he offer it for sale? He has said in the past that if someone wants to come forward and take it on he would listen etc.

If there were any serious bids it is most likely they would make it to the media at some point (as per previous failed bids) but of course I'm not privy and never claimed to be.

Until someone else is willing to come in and put money in and do the best for the club (which I think Lansdown has always tried to do) then I find it quite hard to put SL down. Especially when he had us one game from the Premiership at one point.

That's if more people come to watch or money is made from the development...who knows in this economic climate...it's all if's and buts...

On the contrary, I remember Steve Lansdown saying something along the lines of.............if he couldn't take the club forward as he wished with the new stadium, he'd redevelop Ashton Gate as a smaller alternative, get the club back on it's own two feet and then look to walk away and leave it to someone else to run.

I get the impression that with the Ashton Vale plans seemingly dropped and the belt tightening of all the wages, that he's basically had enough and is putting the steps in place to walk away from BCFC once and for all.

Your right spudski, but life is full of ifs and butts! If reading had said sod it we don't get more than 5k on a good day at elm park, were in the 3rd tier whats the point in getting a new stadium, would they now be a premier league yo yo club? I doubt it. Same could be said about hull, Swansea etc.

I don't think sl is going to walk away, what he has said himself in at least two interviews in the last year or so, is that we cant afford to keep ploughing money in without making any back. A new stadium will allow us to have all the non match day revenue (conferences etc) to make us competitive, and I think it will give the club that positive momentum we seemingly had a few years ago. The fact is he has put millions and millions in, and that hasn't worked, so its time to go about it a more sensible way. That's not to say we don't still have the ambition of being a competitive championship club (or more) , we just aren't going to ruin the club financially by doing so anymore. SL has said himself, if he does walk away the club will not be in any debt and he will leave us self sufficient at least, but I don't think that will be for a  few more years yet.

Edit: when I say 'new stadium' I mean redeveloped ag as well as possible (but unlikely now) av.

Your right spudski, but life is full of ifs and butts! If reading had said sod it we don't get more than 5k on a good day at elm park, were in the 3rd tier whats the point in getting a new stadium, would they now be a premier league yo yo club? I doubt it. Same could be said about hull, Swansea etc.

I don't think sl is going to walk away, what he has said himself in at least two interviews in the last year or so, is that we cant afford to keep ploughing money in without making any back. A new stadium will allow us to have all the non match day revenue (conferences etc) to make us competitive, and I think it will give the club that positive momentum we seemingly had a few years ago. The fact is he has put millions and millions in, and that hasn't worked, so its time to go about it a more sensible way. That's not to say we don't still have the ambition of being a competitive championship club (or more) , we just aren't going to ruin the club financially by doing so anymore. SL has said himself, if he does walk away the club will not be in any debt and he will leave us self sufficient at least, but I don't think that will be for a  few more years yet.

Edit: when I say 'new stadium' I mean redeveloped ag as well as possible (but unlikely now) av.

The highlighted line is what I was alluding to.

I get the impression with all the rumblings on these forums, we're literally driving SL away from the club, and I reckon all these things we're seeing put in place are the beginning of the end :-(

The highlighted line is what I was alluding to.

I get the impression with all the rumblings on these forums, we're literally driving SL away from the club, and I reckon all these things we're seeing put in place are the beginning of the end :-(

Sl isn't the be all and end all of bcfc though. We were here a long time before him and will be after. If he does leave I get the impression he intends to leave us on a better footing than when he took over. Cant be a bad thing?

Simply put...this...

The OP is complaining...but this is modern football.

It happens at every Club, even at the top levels... think if you're a Spurs fan and you lose Gareth Bale...

I disagree with the OP when he says the football is poor though. It's so much more enjoyable than most of our time in the Championship.

It's not about BCFC...it's about football... perhaps it's modern football you are falling out of love with?

I certainly wasn't meaning to complain, I guess I was trying to express genuine concern over what's happening to our club - I'm all for financial prudence but at the moment we seem to be suffering badly with poor 'friendly fire episodes' and expectancy being continually managed down?

I agree we no longer want, or need, journeyman players (who cost us a fortune) but we also need hope, and after enjoying a short period of revival, I just feel the JET has already been told he is being sold interview was poor timing, we at last had something to look forward to and then even that was quickly taken away.

It's been interesting to see the balanced responses to this thread and I agree with an earlier poster, it's for each of us to play our part and be a part of the solution going forward! With a new and improved AG to look forward and hopefully the development of some promising youngsters, fingers crossed it goes the right way...

I agree we no longer want, or need, journeyman players (who cost us a fortune) but we also need hope, and after enjoying a short period of revival, I just feel the JET has already been told he is being sold interview was poor timing, we at last had something to look forward to and then even that was quickly taken away.

But he hasn't, has he? Only that it's a possibility, which I'm sure is something that has occurred to JET already. It will have certainly occurred to his agent, at any rate!

I do agree that I can't quite see why Sean had to bring this up, but perhaps it's part of this naive charm that other forum members detect in his interviews....

He didn't. He mentioned it to Shlockhausen in the past and our friendly Pist (sorry Post) journo chose to bring it up now.

He didn't. He mentioned it to Shlockhausen in the past and our friendly Pist (sorry Post) journo chose to bring it up now.

Indeed, but I'm not even sure why he mentioned it to Stockingtop. He's under no obligation to tell him potential plans for his team to a journalist - even if they are bezzy mates, as AS seems to think....

Indeed, but I'm not even sure why he mentioned it to Stockingtop. He's under no obligation to tell him potential plans for his team to a journalist - even if they are bezzy mates, as AS seems to think....

Yep, seems strange that a man of few words, should use some of those few words speaking to this particular jour no, in whatever context.

Sl isn't the be all and end all of bcfc though. We were here a long time before him and will be after. If he does leave I get the impression he intends to leave us on a better footing than when he took over. Cant be a bad thing?

Agreed, a self sufficient club playing in the best possible facilities has got to be an aim.

My worry is when that situation occurs, fans maythen get impatient and clamour for another rich source to be brought on board and we start to live beyond our means once again.

There's only so many times you can have your fingers burnt......look at Portsmouth.

Archived