IGNORED

What's The Point?

PFree

Can I ask why SL isn't going to spend any more?

Has there been an announcement I missed?

It's FFP

If we spend more than 65% of income on wages we get landed with fines and transfer embargoes

We don't know if SL doesn't want to spend his money or not,

The new rules dictate that he can't, even if he wants to

I am amused by the comments that "SL is sick to the back teeth of pumping millions into the club".  If SL had spent his money more wisely, perhaps we would not be in the position we find ourselves in.

We are tied to SL and subject to his every whim and whine - until somebody steps in and breaks the choke hold he has on this club, the sooner the club can move forward.  Under SL and his crony board we are going one way, and that's down.

I am amused by the comments that "SL is sick to the back teeth of pumping millions into the club".  If SL had spent his money more wisely, perhaps we would not be in the position we find ourselves in.

We are tied to SL and subject to his every whim and whine - until somebody steps in and breaks the choke hold he has on this club, the sooner the club can move forward.  Under SL and his crony board we are going one way, and that's down.

Point is that no one is rushing forward are they?

OK fine, I get all of that. But if the policy is going to be sell, sell, sell and struggling to stay in this pitiful division and even flirting with the unspeakable 'R' word, it's going to be an empty old space, still perhaps an opportunity for a bigger flag waving space, every cloud.

I don't think you understand the concept of what a new stadium offers, simply put i has very little to do with having more seats for match day.

Traditional football stadiums are designed to make a wad of cash once a fortnight, in days gone by when attendances were high and players were on much smaller wages with relation to turnover that was fine. In this modern era of smaller crowds (lets face it there is a lot to do on a Saturday afternoon in 2013/2014 Vs 1970's and earlier) and high wages that is simply unsustainable. You have a giant piece of land and expensive asset doing nothing for 13 days in every 14....

Modern stadiums change that as they contain conference facilities, hotels, corporate boxes, are better set up for concerts, are cheaper to maintain, are more attractive to new players etc etc

Everyone wants this club to be a success but we've gone through the era of overspending and i think its starting to hit home at least from the Championship down that it can't continue, there simply isn't enough money left in the game once the Premier league has taken the lions share.

You just need to look at the free agents list every summer to see clubs everywhere making their squads smaller and paying players less. Frankly our turnover must be horrible and totally reliant upon people turning up to home matches.

I think I'm right in saying that SL could, if he chose to, continue to allow the club to overspend on players' wages and just balance the books each year out of his own pocket.  

FFP says that we can't spend more than 60% of revenue on wages without incurring a financial penalty.  I don't know what that penalty would be, but I'm sure SL could also afford to pay that, if he chose to.

Strictly speaking, we're under SCMP (not FFP).  The sanction is a transfer embargo, not a financial penalty.  SO we could buy loads of great players and get them registered quick.  But then we'd be stuck with them, so our recruitment would have to be spot on.  Looking at our previous, I wouldn't risk it.

The 'point' is that you support City.   I have been watching Rovers for 40 years , and for the most part of that the best I have had to hope for is the odd foray into the second division, and now even that seems a pipe dream.

If you feel there should be a point to it all, then football probably isn't for you (certainly not football in Bristol anyway)

You go because its your hobby/pastime/passion, not for any tangible output.

99% of clubs will win nothing each year, that isn't the whole point of the Saturday experience.

Simply put...this...

The OP is complaining...but this is modern football.

It happens at every Club, even at the top levels... think if you're a Spurs fan and you lose Gareth Bale...

I disagree with the OP when he says the football is poor though. It's so much more enjoyable than most of our time in the Championship.

It's not about BCFC...it's about football... perhaps it's modern football you are falling out of love with?

If what we are saying is that SL has now ceased investing and that we now intend to sell any players who show possible promise, we are surely now destined to stay in Division 3 and most probably into Division 4 (old money)?

I guess my point would be what's the point of continuing to support the City? If the current level of entertainment is anything to go by and if we do now sell JET in January, if the entertainment remains just awful, would I really want to continue buying a season ticket - I know about City until I die and all that but being honest it's a real struggle to go right now as the football is so poor (and before you ask we've followed City for 25 years ands been ST holders 12).

If harder core fans feel like this, being honest, this really is a dire situation or am I wrong?

Who do you think is paying for the Ashton Gate upgrade / new Ashton Vale Stadium, it's certainly not the supporters. SL is investing millions in it. He's just trying to get costs on the playing side under control which makes absolute sense when you look at all the money that's been wasted over the last few seasons.

Other clubs manage to have success on a limited budget so there's no reason why we can't if we're properly organised.

I must admit to being utterly bemused that others seemingly hadn't already worked this out.

Comments on here today like "didn't we spend the money we got in this summer on new signings"? are absolutely amazing.

The wage bill is being slashed (with still more to come) And didn't signings like Williams, Wynter and Parish at least start to get these people to wonder why we were suddenly signing a lot of cheap, unproven youngsters?

The reason to support City by the way is because you are a City fan.

If we sell to survive and produce our own players to do so then so be it.

In case anyone still hasn't worked it out SL is not going to spend anything on us in future, (a revamped Ashton Gate aside).

It is frustrating... Football has become very complicated these days.

Gone are the days when your average fan could have a discussion about transfers and players etc.

You now need to know all the intricate details of FFP and players contracts, to have any valid discussion of the movement of players and running of a Club these days. SL is restricted on what he can spend...you can't have an owner throw money at a team anymore.

I also don't think it has anything to do with paying back the debt... it's purely running the Club properly from this point onwards...

Times have changed....

Unfortunately a lot of discussions on here, go off tangent because some fans don't know this ( not their fault, not everyone has got time to follow football in a detailed way ).

That's why it can get frustrating... as comments don't make sense because of restrictions imposed on Clubs these days.

There is no point. You take the lows and the few highs are better. As others have said the club are now putting into place a long term plan that we will benefit from, stadium redevelopment is a big part in this due to non match day revenue etc. Sl and sod have said sl WILL invest when the time is right and once he has capabilities ( new stadium etc ) to do so. This is a very important time for bcfc imo, be patient and we will be rewarded with better times again.

There is no point. You take the lows and the few highs are better. As others have said the club are now putting into place a long term plan that we will benefit from, stadium redevelopment is a big part in this due to non match day revenue etc. Sl and sod have said sl WILL invest when the time is right and once he has capabilities ( new stadium etc ) to do so. This is a very important time for bcfc imo, be patient and we will be rewarded with better times again.

Invest in the team or the Club?

If you mean the former...he's not allowed...hence my previous post.

Answer is because you support City. Simple as.

Were you around in 1982? Believe me, it was a lot worse then. When we got to Div 3 we knew we were going down again all season. And 0-7 at Northampton to go bottom of the whole league. Despite what others have said on here in the past few weeks, this side is not the worst City side ever. Not by a long way.

The problem is that, with our profligate spending of recent years, couple with FFP, I suspect that the financial position we're now in is every bit as bad as it was then. Only difference is that it's not been laid bare quite so publically as it was then, with bankruptcy and the Ashton Gate 8. But the Ashton Gate 8 at least removed the noose of overpaid (for the division) players on long contracts - we havent even got that now. And because it was so public the fans really realised some of the stuff that SOD is trying to tell us now. In some ways, it was a lot easier for Des Williams (who was the Chairman who inherited the whole mess) to get that message home to people just because we'd been so close to the edge of really ceasing to exist.

So, the answer is you support them cos they are our club (never mind who's currently playing, managing or owning) which needs us now more than at any time in the last 30 years. And yes - we'll waste money on (some) players, sometimes the manager will do things we dont like, sometimes the board will treat us like crap - but if we stick with them then (long after all those players and managers and board members have gone) we'll still have our club - and some good times!

1-7, Glyn Riley scored :thumbsup:

Once the stadium is redeveloped he will have more ability to invest on the playing side. Also once we have our wage bill down to a reasonable level. Im aware of the scmp/ffp restrictions.

That's if more people come to watch or money is made from the development...who knows in this economic climate...it's all if's and buts...

Archived