IGNORED

Should Del Have Been Given More Time

SecretSam

Given that SO'D has struggled to get both decent performances and results (and we went down anyway), and that Del has apparently done OK up in Aberdeen, does anyone here think perhaps Del should have been given more time?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not an SO'D knocker, in fact I'm right behind him and think he's the man to turn us round - but is this a case that we pulled the trigger too soon?

Fixing Bristol City is a huge job. McInnes is a good manager but the job was too big for a man of his experience.

Given unlimited time, I think he'd have relegated us and then eventually built a successful side, exactly as O'Driscoll is doing, but either way we get relegated.

The way to have avoided last season's relegation would have been to appoint O'Driscoll (or possibly McInnes) immediately after Johnson left and even that probably would have gone badly given the way the board was operating back then.

• Admin

Looking back I'm not sure his connections within the English game were up to scratch.

There is a big difference between the English and Scots leagues and think this was where he was found out

Where as SO'D clearly has a bigger network around the game.

You only have to look at the type of quality each manager has brought in to see this

Indeed - and the shape of the team on the pitch.

I don't think the players understood their roles very well. it could be 4-3-3, then 5-3-2 etc, all in the same game!

The curious thing about that is that at St Johnstone he played 4-4-2 nearly every game he managed them. He couldn't get 4-4-2 working down here and his plan b, c, d, e, f etc all failed.

He is a good manager I had the privilege to meet him and he showed me how he laid out tactics all over the changing room and like Mourinho players had personal plans.

As stated already in this thread building Bristol City back up from the ground is a huge task. A task that Mcinnes was too inexperienced to do..(not long ago he was the centre of everything that was good about West Brom) He wanted to come in and spend money and build a team but was told use what you got. Fair enough you can't continue to lose 40m a year. Whatever outcome we were going down

• Admin

Rubbish he spent most of his career in the championship notably West Brom

What has that got to do with knowing the English game?

He played just over two seasons at West Brom compared to 16 in Scotland

You only have to look who he surrounded himself with to realise nobody had any experience of managing in the Championship.

That league is a massive gulf away from what he was used to in the SPL

Not sure he was the problem. The team he had was almost unanimously voted to be sold/let go/released last season as we felt that were either poor, or just did not care... From memory only Moloney, Cunningham and Baldock from are entire team were on peoples retention list..

Maybe if Del had caught onto the fact players just going through the motions sooner he may have had a chance, by the time he started doing people it was to late and _ SOD came in giving them all a clean slate and found the same problems... A lot of those faces should have gone when they let down Millen.

If you were a neutral who came along this season and watched Baldock, you would say yes to that part of the statement,.

Do you not realise that Baldock is doing a job for the team...not what he his best at, the amount of space JET has suggests he is doing a good job.Del was unlucky that we couldnt afford/they wouldnt come the quality center backs he wanted so decided to buy strikers,that was his big mistake,had he had the same remit SOD had im sure he would done a better job

Do you not realise that Baldock is doing a job for the team...not what he his best at, the amount of space JET has suggests he is doing a good job.Del was unlucky that we couldnt afford/they wouldnt come the quality center backs he wanted so decided to buy strikers,that was his big mistake,had he had the same remit SOD had im sure he would done a better job

Yeah.

I've seen him mate.

He chases after the ball, often is beaten to it by a faster defender.

He challenges for a ball, doesn't win it.

He gets the balls, loses it immediately because his "strike partner" is about 25 yards behind him by the touchline.

Oh I've also seen him miss put clean through.

Great job for the team yeah.

You may as we'll play Terry my 55 year old neighbour if you it's want a bloke up front to take away a defender...

Archived