IGNORED

City V Cambridge

Go Junior GO

It was New Year's Day.

I was among the group of supporters who'd payed for the directors box hospitality that day. Back then that gave you responsibility for picking man of the match. After about 70 minutes, when they came to ask us for MOTM, we were 3-2 up and Scott Murray had scored 2 of the goals, so we picked him. Tony Thorpe then proceeded to score a hat-trick and his face was a picture come the end of the match when Scotty picked up the award in place of him!

Really didn't like them remember them doing us in the JPT area final when they were bottom of the bloody league! Armand one got two.

Was that the tie Lee Peacock recorded the biggest ever penalty miss at their place?

Out of the ground if I seem to remember...

Another connection between the two, thinking of Ashton Vale and the gas rehousing problems..

Cambs Utd want to move to a new & larger stadium and identified a suitable site.

The locals & the council have decided it's "inappropriate" to have a football ground there.

They intend placing a "community stadium" there, but not a football ground.

Was that the tie Lee Peacock recorded the biggest ever penalty miss at their place?

Out of the ground if I seem to remember...

Yep, first leg of the area final in 01-02.

I honestly don't think I've ever seen a penalty miss the target by such a margin (although David Rennie gets an honourable mention for an effort over the East End in a game around 89/90). Even as the ball disappeared from sight that night (some distance away from the stadium) it was still rising!

We got Cambridge again the following season in the area final and a certain Mark Robins played a blinder on his debut for us.

Some how I've erased this game from my memory, I know we used to REALLY enjoy pre and post match but even so.......

I do remember some less than enjoyable cup games / replays though, Cambridge midweek and getting stuffed !

I might have this on video (the 6-2 not the 5-1 hammering in the cup ), I'll have a look over the weekend and if I have it I'll stick it on youtube. 

Archived