IGNORED

Carey..

prankerd

it's not an argument, it's a personal opinion (there was a clue to that in my post) I haven't added any insults about Carey and never would because he has been an incredible servant especially in the context of the modern game, lucky to get 12 months last season and unbelievable that he got 12 months this season again IMO, I watched John Atyeo for 10 years IMO the 2 do not compare IMO.

I'm not really sure what the first line is all about. It is an argument in the sense that many people (Rightly or wrongly, that's not for me to say) have said that Louis doesn't deserve the record as he isn't as good as John Atyeo. 

Obviously I haven't seen many of the legends that are mentioned in this thread. I bow to the opinions of those who were alive to see 'big' John and the likes of Gow and Newman, but as you say in another post he is the younger generations hero and that has been rightfully earned.

Should he gain the record, it will never in a month of sundays detract from the greatness of John Atyeo. An England international who attracted considerable interest from giants like AC Milan in an era when international transfers were rare (I can only think of John Charles from here). He is undoubtedly the greatest player to ever grace the red shirt, and Billy Wedlock is undoubtedly next in line... I never saw any of those guys play but I know them and I know what they did. 

That's my point, I don't understand what John Atyeo's status as a club legend has to do with wanting Louis to break a record. It shouldn't have any bearing at all as I doubt anyones first thought on Atyeo is 'record appearances'... It should simply be 'the best we've ever had'

I'm not really sure what the first line is all about. It is an argument in the sense that many people (Rightly or wrongly, that's not for me to say) have said that Louis doesn't deserve the record as he isn't as good as John Atyeo. 

Obviously I haven't seen many of the legends that are mentioned in this thread. I bow to the opinions of those who were alive to see 'big' John and the likes of Gow and Newman, but as you say in another post he is the younger generations hero and that has been rightfully earned.

Should he gain the record, it will never in a month of sundays detract from the greatness of John Atyeo. An England international who attracted considerable interest from giants like AC Milan in an era when international transfers were rare (I can only think of John Charles from here). He is undoubtedly the greatest player to ever grace the red shirt, and Billy Wedlock is undoubtedly next in line... I never saw any of those guys play but I know them and I know what they did. 

That's my point, I don't understand what John Atyeo's status as a club legend has to do with wanting Louis to break a record. It shouldn't have any bearing at all as I doubt anyones first thought on Atyeo is 'record appearances'... It should simply be 'the best we've ever had'

If it's based on no. of International caps Billy Wedlock actually made 26 England apps so maybe he should be classified as our greatest ever player ?  Trouble is he was a defender, made over 400 apps for City and never managed a goal !

If it's based on no. of International caps Billy Wedlock actually made 26 England apps so maybe he should be classified as our greatest ever player ?  Trouble is he was a defender, made over 400 apps for City and never managed a goal !

And he played for us in our highest ever league finish, sole FA Cup final appearance and during our still record equalling run of consecutive league wins.

I am nowhere near old enough to have watched either of them play, but it is silly to say that Atyeo is undoubtedly City's best player ahead of Wedlock I would suggest.

And he played for us in our highest ever league finish, sole FA Cup final appearance and during our still record equalling run of consecutive league wins.

I am nowhere near old enough to have watched either of them play, but it is silly to say that Atyeo is undoubtedly City's best player ahead of Wedlock I would suggest.

Would doubt if anyone's alive who saw Billy play for City seeing as he retired in 1920 ! 

Archived