IGNORED

Man Of The Match Marlon Pack

Randy Marsh

So if he's doing such an awesome job how come our midfield has zero creativity?

If he's following orders and sitting in front of the back 4, his job is not to be creative but to be destructive and break up play which he does.

Seen him play for Cheltenham a few times and he's better in the Elliott role box to box, but if Elliott plays he needs to be defensive for no cover of the back 4.

Creativity should come from width and the one thing that annoys me about our team this season is a lack of width. Bryan and wagstaff are 2 hard workers but aren't out and out wingers but do chip in with goals now and again but don't set many up,

Reid sets up a few but isn't strong enough to play in a 2 man cm so plays in a free role like jet which means everything comes down the middle.

Port vale away wagstaff stated out wide and scored and set up baldock numerous times. Carlisle away out first goal moloney whipped in a great cross and third goal wagstaff came in from out wide.

Think problem we have is jet and Reid both need to play in a similar role and leave us open, so we play wagstaff and Bryan/Shorey out wide to cover them and go inside to cover there gaps. Which leaves us with no width.

As much as I love jet I think he is a problem for our team as I've mentioned a few times before due to his free role and people covering for him. He has the creative role but doesn't help the team out regularly defensively which means everyone else has to sit to cover him. Which means we have stopped leaking goals but aren't creating as much.

Sod needs to find the balance between start of season and now and middle ground would be perfect.

It isn't only Pack's fault when he chooses not to pass forward. Who looks comfortable receiving the ball under pressure in this team? Even Jet's touch was poor today, a number of times. And would you pass it in to Sam B at the moment? If Sam's still there when the ball reaches where you thought he was half a second before, he'll soon lose it, on his own and isolated as he often is. And lightweight as he is. So you push it square to someone in enough space to be able to have enough touches to get it under sufficient control, where they can then pop it to the wider chap, or back inside again. Technically, "good decision-making." Trouble is, the buck is being passed around. And around and around. At some point, someone has to try something riskier, take more of a chance, and then we lose the ball. And the ball hasn't been anywhere near the opps penalty area.

Pack is so, so. Not great, not terrible. To pick anyone out is to miss the point, to my mind. Something is wrong collectively. If the passing is lacking, it's a collective fault. A group thing. Probably. The fault must be in practice, prep, somewhere in the midst of all this muddle right now.This is sod's thing. His "bag" his "baby." Passing. Possession. It's all too slow, too safe, too timid.

We need to unearth some guts and some willingness to go beyond the predictable, plodding pish we saw today.

Be interesting to see if Orient play as cautiously as Sheff U, or go at us more and leave themselves more open

Baldock looks bereft to me, the most out of sorts. Flint though, probably agree with sod, might not have paid that much for him (def wouldn't come out and say that, though). Agree, he was barely tested today. Thought Jet was below his best and the rest were so-so. We snatched a loss there today, from the jaws of a 0:0.

Archived