IGNORED

One Word - Wasteful

ciderbeans

Although we retained possession well for most parts, we were extremely wasteful in possession moving forward.

There was no real outlet. An example of this would be out left wing. Everytime Cunningham got the ball there was no one to pass the ball forward to out wide. Shorey always dropped back and inside forcing Cunningham to pass back everytime.

Wagstaff for once didn't really offer much going forward and the only reason pack was MOM was because the ball came back to him everytime. No one player did anything of real note.

We also wasted goal scoring opportunities. Baldock could have done better with his one on one and 2 or 3 free kicks in dangerous areas were wasted. I said before the game we must take chances when we get them or we'll be punished by a stupid goal.

Low and behold, we lose to an own goal.

We are wasteful and unambitious in attack. It needs to change if we are to beat teams.

On a positive note, defense has become a lot more solid and confident.

That has to be one of the worst if not the worst game of football i have witnessed in a very long time, sheffield were bad, very bad but we surpassed them and just awful.

There was no spark, no creativity, there was no passion, no fight - it was shocking, for those stay aways - fair play, you made the right decision 

Although we retained possession well for most parts, we were extremely wasteful in possession moving forward.

There was no real outlet. An example of this would be out left wing. Everytime Cunningham got the ball there was no one to pass the ball forward to out wide. Shorey always dropped back and inside forcing Cunningham to pass back everytime.

Wagstaff for once didn't really offer much going forward and the only reason pack was MOM was because the ball came back to him everytime. No one player did anything of real note.

We also wasted goal scoring opportunities. Baldock could have done better with his one on one and 2 or 3 free kicks in dangerous areas were wasted. I said before the game we must take chances when we get them or we'll be punished by a stupid goal.

We are wasteful and unambitious in attack. It needs to change if we are to beat teams.

Agree mate. I've said before the lack of width or outlet is really concerning for me. I personally am a little unimpressed with Baldock but if we don't have wingers getting in behind and putting in crosses we may as will start with Taylor or Harewood.

I know he has scored a couple and he's a trier but Wagstaff is just too safe. Works hard but offers no creativity or adventure.

We do keep it well but it's often in central areas and it's often congested.

Not sure why we play a guy who played at LB for England out of position. I hate the fact we play 2 left backs and leave McLaughlin on the bench, but surely Cunningham should be playing ahead of Shorey if we're going to play them both?

They did switch early in the second half but it's not working for me.

Not sure why we play a guy who played at LB for England out of position. I hate the fact we play 2 left backs and leave McLaughlin on the bench, but surely Cunningham should be playing ahead of Shorey if we're going to play them both?

They did switch early in the second half but it's not working for me.

Yeah I would play Greg higher up as well. We may as well send McLaughlin back to Forest. Literally no point in having him surely? He doesn't ever play!!

Yeah I would play Greg higher up as well. We may as well send McLaughlin back to Forest. Literally no point in having him surely? He doesn't ever play!!

Couldn't agree more. I said in the pub earlier, McIness took endless stick on here for loaning a player and keeping him on the bench, yet this bloke, nothing.

When I saw the team line up I wondered how that midfield would create anything.. Shorey been played mostly as LB, Pack who is instructed to sit just in front on the back four and retain possession (waste of a player), Elliott who battle as he might is not exactly creative or good with the ball... Leaving just Wagstaff...

What the hell was the plan.. As far as I could see it was to get a draw, hope maybe something would fall into our laps and grant is a lucky goal...

Awful game.

Agree mate. I've said before the lack of width or outlet is really concerning for me. I personally am a little unimpressed with Baldock but if we don't have wingers getting in behind and putting in crosses we may as will start with Taylor or Harewood.

I know he has scored a couple and he's a trier but Wagstaff is just too safe. Works hard but offers no creativity or adventure.

You cant blame Baldock, he doesn't wear platform boots, but i agree about using wide men, we needed to try something different the second half, Sheff utd were happy knowing what our plan B was ???. 

I think we should stick sod out wide, the wider from the gate the better.

Crosses? They're pointless. Even the one time we get that right in a game Baldock walks over the ball or has an air kick...

We need some pace and direct running in the side, players who take the impetus of the game. Bryan on the right and Burns on the left cutting in off of JET or Taylors knock downs etc.

Through balls and off the ball movement is what we lack. I wasn't there today, Kiddies tournament took precedence. 

City had lots of possession but where was it? Mainly in areas of the pitch that posed no danger to Sheffield. City's set up and style of play was perfect for them. They had a basic 4 4 2 formation and City's play was so slow no one was ever pulled out of position. You could see that from very early on they would sit back, let City pass the ball around with no affect, and score a goal on a break away.

You cant blame Baldock, he doesn't wear platform boots, but i agree about using wide men, we needed to try something different the second half, Sheff utd were happy knowing what our plan B was ???. 

I think we should stick sod out wide, the wider from the gate the better.

I can blame Baldock. Yes the style of play sometimes doesn't help him but he has missed so many important chances this season. Lot's of them chances you would expect a L2 striker to score let alone an apparant L1/Champ striker. Most teams in this division have a more clinical striker than him. Harsh? Maybe, but if it was me I would flog him in January.

Like I have said he hasn't been helped this season in terms of tactics/systems but he's also not helped himself.

Sorry JT, didn't mean to cause offence. But maybe you could explain why, when SOD bemoans the fact that we have players on the wage bill that he can't play, he loans in players who he wont play.

I'm not privvy to SOD's reasoning, it might make sense if we are to sign him on a permanent basis come January. He's clearly a talented kid, but what's to say he's ready?

But that wasn't the point i was making. It's humorous to suggest that 'this guy gets nothing' 

Crosses? They're pointless. Even the one time we get that right in a game Baldock walks over the ball or has an air kick...

We need some pace and direct running in the side, players who take the impetus of the game. Bryan on the right and Burns on the left cutting in off of JET or Taylors knock downs etc.

Through balls and off the ball movement is what we lack. I wasn't there today, Kiddies tournament took precedence. 

Exactly this JT. Still can't work out why Burns hasn't at least had more of a sniff from the bench. We are too one paced. Pedestrian stuff at times even though we keep it well.

As for my thoughts on Baldock, see my reply to Red on this thread. Not good enough I'm afraid.

I'm not privvy to SOD's reasoning, it might make sense if we are to sign him on a permanent basis come January. He's clearly a talented kid, but what's to say he's ready?

But that wasn't the point i was making. It's humorous to suggest that 'this guy gets nothing' 

We have wide players like Burns and McClauglin in the squad, yet he chooses to play Shorey in a wide position.

If he's not ready, and SOD would know as he signed him for Forest I believe, why is he here? We're not in a position to be paying the wages of a loan signing who doesn't play.

I can blame Baldock. Yes the style of play sometimes doesn't help him but he has missed so many important chances this season. Lot's of them chances you would expect a L2 striker to score let alone an apparant L1/Champ striker. Most teams in this division have a more clinical striker than him. Harsh? Maybe, but if it was me I would flog him in January.

Like I have said he hasn't been helped this season in terms of tactics/systems but he's also not helped himself.

Most teams play 2 up front, and i believe Baldock would have a lot of the expectancy taken away from him, hopefully helping him to relax. I can see your point BUT its not him who should leave well before January!

Exactly this JT. Still can't work out why Burns hasn't at least had more of a sniff from the bench. We are too one paced. Pedestrian stuff at times even though we keep it well.

As for my thoughts on Baldock, see my reply to Red on this thread. Not good enough I'm afraid.

Nope, after his debut against Cardiff last season I thought we had a gem. He looked like Michael Owen with his movement and pace and finishing ability. Turns out he's dog-mess. I'd bang him on the transfer list in January because there's no point in him being here anymore.

We don't commit people, we don't attack with a real plan or purpose. I am a huge fan of SOD, I really am. I just don't know if it's going to work here. It's taking a very long time to bare any fruits, and I just don't think we have the patience within the fanbase to really give a guy long enough to bed in a plan unless it provides half decent results. That's fair enough tbh, we should be at least mid-table. Thing that really annoys me is that our performances at the start of the season deserved so much more than we got. If we could have got what we deserved early on we'd be flying. 

We have wide players like Burns and McClauglin in the squad, yet he chooses to play Shorey in a wide position.

If he's not ready, and SOD would know as he signed him for Forest I believe, why is he here? We're not in a position to be paying the wages of a loan signing who doesn't play.

Again not privvy to any of the details of his loan arrangement with us or his wages at NF, but lets be honest, a kid from Ireland is hardly going to be on Ibrahimovic wages. If we're bringing him in long term it makes perfect sense, he has longer under OUR coaching.

Most teams play 2 up front, and i believe Baldock would have a lot of the expectancy taken away from him, hopefully helping him to relax. I can see your point BUT its not him who should leave well before January!

He does need a big man up top with him for sure. Maybe remove the captaincy from him? Why he is captain I don't know. It just worries me that he has and continues to miss easy chances at crucial times. I expect better for a 1 million pound striker.

The plan was "not to lose".

SOD said as much earlier this week.

Negative outlook which will get negative results.

Unless, I'm mistaken that's a criticism of SOD and I'm pretty sure you support SOD.  For what it's worth that's my main criticism of SOD.  Ever since he's been here he's been negative, right from the beginning of the season when he predicted a struggle.

His whole approach was summed by his first substitution for me.  I actually joked to a couple of mates beforehand that he would probably bring on Williams, really not expecting him to do so.

We really need a man to inject some self belief into this squad because quite frankly SOD isn't doing it.

Archived