IGNORED

Peter Styvar

petehinton

I still maintain that GJ was the worst thing to happen to this football club in modern times. Many will call this absurd, however, given what he did, was the short term gain worth it for the pile of shite we were left with? No is my opinion. And people were putting his name forward to return to us. PLEASE NO.

Get a grip. :facepalm: 

But only one spunked millions and millions up against the wall which has left us in this mess now. I still maintain GJ should have left after the play off final. After that it was all down hill and just spending silly money on players whilst chasing the dream. Had he strengthened in January like Stoke and Hull did we would have gone up automatically. That was his biggest downfall.

100% agree with this bit.

It's amazing how intelligent some people are with hindsight.

If you can find me your post on a thread just after the play off final, saying that GJ must be replaced now, then I won't think that you are a fickle fool who doesn't understand how life works, let alone football!

You're entitled to your views on SOD v GJ but just a couple of facts:

One got us promoted

One got us relegated

One took us to within one game of the premier league

One got us into a relegation fight to keep us out of the bottom division

GJ signed Styvaar but for every Styvaar there's a Frank Fielding

You've got a point about not playing youngsters under GJ. SODs never had a reputation for this either - a quick look at Saturday's starting XI makes interesting viewing - the future?

Brilliant. You've been waiting for this for a while eh Mendip? Really coming to town lately.

How sad.

Anyway, just to point out the utter crap you're spouting AGAIN.

One got us promoted a season after taking us on our worst ever losing streak.

There is not a Frank Fielding for every Styvar that GJ signed, because GJ signed a few more 'styvars':- Agymang, John, Soborio, Maierhoffer, Haynes, Nyatanga, Webster, Velicka, Gerken...

Saturdays line up missing the two who've broken through because of INJURY you mean?

Still, if we lose tonight I'm absolutely certain you'll be on the forum gleeful as ever, making your unfunny sarcastic comments. Yippee.

I still maintain that GJ was the worst thing to happen to this football club in modern times. Many will call this absurd, however, given what he did, was the short term gain worth it for the pile of shite we were left with? No is my opinion. And people were putting his name forward to return to us. PLEASE NO.

This is absurd

100% agree with this bit.

Strengthening in January was a failure, but we will never know if it would've been enough to get us over the line

Top scorer with 8 goals tells it's own story there, I do think that a goal scorer coming in then would've made a massive difference. Remember sitting in a bar in Birmingham watching the Stoke game on tv and feeling that we would never get this chance again, and we ballsed it up, big time

Ah well. We're all still breathing

In the mighty Corgo? Liga

True, and I'd fully accept that it was in a poor league.

This "he was really a left back" stuff seems impossible to me though, with his actual scoring record, even Roberto Carlos didn't get that many and when it is Stockhausen or Trundle who mention it, well, they didn't exactly get on with GJ, did they?

I notice all of these with hindsight all conveniently neglect to mention though that he also scored against Aston Villa that season in the UEFA cup, so we brought him on trial and then he scored a hat trick in his only game.

No doubt signing a Slovakian was a gamble that didn't come off but I wish I knew as much about what is going to happen as many on here seem to. I'd have won the lottery several times and stopped working years ago....

Brilliant. You've been waiting for this for a while eh Mendip? Really coming to town lately.

How sad.

Anyway, just to point out the utter crap you're spouting AGAIN.

One got us promoted a season after taking us on our worst ever losing streak.

There is not a Frank Fielding for every Styvar that GJ signed, because GJ signed a few more 'styvars':- Agymang, John, Soborio, Maierhoffer, Haynes, Nyatanga, Webster, Velicka, Gerken...

Saturdays line up missing the two who've broken through because of INJURY you mean?

Still, if we lose tonight I'm absolutely certain you'll be on the forum gleeful as ever, making your unfunny sarcastic comments. Yippee.

I am a fan of GJ and SO'D.

Yes GJ took us on a long losing streak but he got stopped us from relegation when he took over, got us promoted and turned us into a mid table team in the Championship.

He never really gave the kids a chance and he did sign some shocking players, but he did have a great team spirit and we won a lot of games (obviously).

I feel it's harsh calling Velicka a failure, he was unfortunate, Nyatanga and Gerkin are still in the Championship, both would still walk into our team now IMO.

I like SO'D and like that he is building a team, but it's taking an awful long time to lay the foundations, and it's not even looking likely to change. He's also made some awful/pointless signings in his time here. Fielding, O'Connor, McLaughlin, Howard, Bates

True, and I'd fully accept that it was in a poor league.

This "he was really a left back" stuff seems impossible to me though, with his actual scoring record, even Roberto Carlos didn't get that many and when it is Stockhausen or Trundle who mention it, well, they didn't exactly get on with GJ, did they?

I notice all of these with hindsight all conveniently neglect to mention though that he also scored against Aston Villa that season in the UEFA cup, so we brought him on trial and then he scored a hat trick in his only game.

No doubt signing a Slovakian was a gamble that didn't come off but I wish I knew as much about what is going to happen as many on here seem to. I'd have won the lottery several times and stopped working years ago....

Quite agree GC, although it has to be said having a proper scouting network would've helped - as others have noted. Gary had quite a record of buying clunkers.

The criticism of Gary Johnson on this forum is an absolute disgrace. The bloke was magnificent for bcfc, miles better than the absolute dross

being served up as 'entertainment' now.

No its not a disgrace at all, he failed to strengthen and at least push on the initial good work of the playoff season and went downhill from there.

To say GJ is exempt from criticism is ridiculous quite frankly.

Styvar was a left back. Confirmed by Stockhausen after a conversation at the time by both the player himself AND Alan Walsh Had only been playing up front for the villa game as emergency striker GJ was allowed to get away with murder at City get his family jobs their were qualified to do and acting like he owned the club.

Styvar was a left back. Confirmed by Stockhausen after a conversation at the time by both the player himself AND Alan Walsh Had only been playing up front for the villa game as emergency striker GJ was allowed to get away with murder at City get his family jobs their were qualified to do and acting like he owned the club.

What left back scores 30 goals in 57 games for his previous club?

Quotes player and a senior member of coaching staff.

He did say he had limited English, I wonder how good both their German was too.

Again, he couldn't be a left back and scored 30 goals, he may of said "I started playing as a left back".

Maybe it just shows how poor the previous league was?

My criticism of Johnson at the time was absolutely slagged right off by virtually everyone on this forum. I could see then what was happening and now those who slated me can see that was right all along.

The difference between Johnson and ODriscoll is this. Johnson was a one dimensional and a very limited thinker about football. ODriscoll is a thinking mans manager.

Yeah right.

I imagined the ride all the way to Wembley with thousands going to away games and a 17k average home attendance.

As well as the buzz and atmosphere around AG.

Its been much better since he got the elbow hasn't it - but thats his fault as well I suppose.

I'm sure many will agree with me here but getting to the play off final was the worst thing to ever happen to us. Of course we all enjoyed the ride but let's face it in them two seasons we hardly were world beaters were we? We just scraped wins, right now I would of course take scraping some wins but the way in which things were done back then wasn't sustainable.

I did actually say after the play off final if Lansdown wanted us to move to the next level we needed someone who could take us there. Johnson wasn't that man. As a league one or two manager with league one or two players he is excellent however give him a championship player and he couldn't manage them. Trundle, Hartley, Sno etc come to mind.

Had we been promoted and just stayed above relegation/mid table we as a club would have been better for that but instead we went and spunked 20/30 million on shite.

Johnson started this mess we are in, coppell continued it and I think Millen and delboy tried their hardest to sort things out but just wasn't experienced enough to do so. Now sod isn't everyone's cup of tea but he is the man to reshape this club. It may not work out for him but the foundations he is laying will help us in the long term to be more sustainable etc.

**** me - getting to Wembley in the play off final for the Premier League was the worst thing to ever happen to the club ?

I've heard it all now.

Very selective, WTF actually was Millen actually doing when all of this mayhem was occurring? and he not only left us with more overpaid shit but extended and improved the contracts of others. Yes it went wrong but FFS without GJ we would now be looking at 16 years of abject misery and not 5 years and 2 wins out of 18 with the thinking mans manager in league 1.

He did say he had limited English, I wonder how good both their German was too.

Again, he couldn't be a left back and scored 30 goals, he may of said "I started playing as a left back".

Maybe it just shows how poor the previous league was?

Well as I said the video clearly proves somebody was lying and I think I know where my money would go on that particular bet.

Now that's what i call an overlapping leftback :)

As for the atmosphere under GJ, i remember a load of dull matches where we hoped to score early then drain the life out of the game by shutting up shop until we conceded a last minute equaliser.

I am a big fan of SO'D. Give it time.

Archived