IGNORED

Timing Of S O'ds Sacking?

Ian M

• Admin

Given John Lansdown has since come out and said they have had no thoughts yet as to a potential successor, does anyone else think the timing of O'Driscoll's sacking seems a little strange?

We'd just played very well against the League leaders, why couldn't the board sit down and start drawing together a list of names they might be interested in and not sack SO'D yet, instead leave him in charge, whilst sounding out potential candidates through the back channels? We are now rudderless for the 3 weeks or so that JL anticipates it will take to appoint a new head coach when they could have reduced this process by starting things off before dismissing.

Unless of course they wanted to get rid of him for personal reasons and were worried that he might continue our recent better form and make it more difficult to sack him. But that would mean they didn't have the club's best interests at heart.

I don't buy into the comment they don't have anyone in mind. I think they know who they want and they were worried that if they gave Sean more time they would get a different job and no longer be an option if things don't improve. I think the reason they haven't said this is in case someone who they wouldn't expect to apply for the job does, whilst if they said they had their short list already, no one would consider applying.

I wondered personally if there had been a falling out between SO'D and the board, perhaps after the Orient game due to the sudden nature of the sacking. It all seemed very sudden and one would assume that if they were going to sack him based on results, if they deemed the draw to not be good enough, they might even announce it Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.

I have a suspicion there is more to this than we know, comments about the communication between board and management have alluded to something running deeper imo.

I don't buy into the comment they don't have anyone in mind. I think they know who they want and they were worried that if they gave Sean more time they would get a different job and no longer be an option if things don't improve. I think the reason they haven't said this is in case someone who they wouldn't expect to apply for the job does, whilst if they said they had their short list already, no one would consider applying.

I think you're on the right lines with what you're saying here.

The timing is strange in that it wasn't weeks earlier.  'Recent better form'?  All things are relative of course, but one thing that marked SOD's entire reign was crap form.

That's why many of his most mental advocates could only point to some wonderful, over optimistic future.  There was bugger all to refer to from his past at the club.

His dismissal, on the evidence, is the best chance we have of avoiding the drop.

Let's track back a bit. Let's say our invisible chairman and JL were peed off at Saturday's result and agreed to remove O'D. At a board meeting on Monday, the decision was taken and reported back to SL on Guernsey, who thought about it and gave his orders on Tuesday, too late to sack O'D before the Orient game.

Think emperor Tiberius ruling Rome from the Isle of Capri, and you've got the right idea.

I feel sure there was a major falling out and I would suspect along the lines of ..........SOD had already suggested we were to sign a new defender I think -- and the board said we had enough of those we need a better striker to play instead of or alongside Baldock -- support me or sack me...don't have a clue really but it is the scenario that makes sense

• Admin

I feel sure there was a major falling out and I would suspect along the lines of ..........SOD had already suggested we were to sign a new defender I think -- and the board said we had enough of those we need a better striker to play instead of or alongside Baldock -- support me or sack me...don't have a clue really but it is the scenario that makes sense

He had a striker lined up.

• Admin

IMO the timing is perfect, there 5 games left to the halfway stage of the season, the bored can take their sweet time finding their replacement and also give Pemberton a chance in the meantime and also give the new man a proper window to deal in, unlike last season.

To be fair it's about time they made another crap internal appointment.

With the most recent appointment at the top: 

Outsider

Outsider

Internal

Outsider

Outsider

Internal

Outsider

Internal

Just pure guess work from me but maybe the board stated Jet will be sold in January and Sod wasnt getting any of the money. I doubt if he would have been happy with that as Jet's goals just about single-handledly was keeping him in a job anyway. And yes, I heard he had a striker waiting to sign on loan too, possibly Jets replacement.

Yes the timing is very odd. Maybe the board do have someone in mind, I can't believe they would remove him otherwise. But how does that look when a new manager sits at the desk that the old manager has just cleared, nobody really likes to see that do they (even though Sod did it to Del remember). It just looks more professional if a period of time is left between sacking and appointing while they 'consider all applications'.

Just pure guess work from me but maybe the board stated Jet will be sold in January and Sod wasnt getting any of the money. I doubt if he would have been happy with that as Jet's goals just about single-handledly was keeping him in a job anyway. And yes, I heard he had a striker waiting to sign on loan too, possibly Jets replacement.

Yes the timing is very odd. Maybe the board do have someone in mind, I can't believe they would remove him otherwise. But how does that look when a new manager sits at the desk that the old manager has just cleared, nobody really likes to see that do they (even though Sod did it to Del remember). It just looks more professional if a period of time is left between sacking and appointing while they 'consider all applications'.

Without wanting to nit pick why would a new striker be jets replacement, where not in January yet! We desperately need a new striker, it was ridiculous timing from the board if they were gonna do it they should have done straight after the sheff u game, had someone in this week with a couple of days of the loan market to bring his players in!

I'm clinging onto this that we might get a coupe

Without wanting to nit pick why would a new striker be jets replacement, where not in January yet! We desperately need a new striker, it was ridiculous timing from the board if they were gonna do it they should have done straight after the sheff u game, had someone in this week with a couple of days of the loan market to bring his players in!

Like I said I'm guessing just like everybody else, I meant Jet's eventual replacement. Maybe Sod knew if this happened he was doomed anyway, fans wouldn't be happy, board would distance themselves. Dead man walking and all that.

It's fun this guessing stuff.

As I've pointed out, it couldn't have been done straight after the Sheffield U game, because it had to be cleared with the emperor on his remote island. You don't seriously think this decision could have been made without SL's approval, do you?

As I've pointed out, it couldn't have been done straight after the Sheffield U game, because it had to be cleared with the emperor on his remote island. You don't seriously think this decision could have been made without SL's approval, do you?

Aah I forgot they don't have technological communications on remote islands. JL had to put a message in a bottle in Bristol docks and it took 5 days to get to sl's private beach ;)

The more likely scenario is that JL wrongly predicted a defeat on tuesday, but the email was already written, he was as we know busy on wednesday and hit the wrong key on thursday morning, come on we've all done it, it's so easily done.

Aah I forgot they don't have technological communications on remote islands. JL had to put a message in a bottle in Bristol docks and it took 5 days to get to sl's private beach ;)

I believe they have the wireless telegraph now ;)

No, for the form of it, there would have to be board meeting on Monday and then the Imperial seal from Guernsey, so that takes us to Monday afternoon. Too late for a sacking before the Tuesday game.

Just speculating, like everyone else.

Perhaps the board were hypnotised by Darren Brown to believe that the time was right to sack SOD because they could then appoint a new man who always becomes available this time of the season and would be ideal.

The new man always wears a red suit with white trim on match days, so will not annoy fans with blue sweatshirts, and never shaves his lucky long white beard. After months of gloom and despondency, the new man would lift everyone's spirits with his ho, ho, ho laugh and will bring a sense of hope and optimism with his seasonal goodwill,. and come the transfer window he is sure to pull some pleasant surprises out of his sack.

He has been known to deliver to every child in the world in a 24 hour period, so getting BCFC out of the mire should be a piece of cake and we can afford him, because he wants is a glass of sherry, a mince pie and some carrots for his animals. He would want his back room staff with him but as they are dwarves, Sam Baldock will quickly make them feel at home.

With all the twaddle some fans are sprouting about what the Lansdowns think and feel and why they made the decision, my suggestion is no less ridiculous. I am fully behind the club's long term strategy and was fully supportive of SOD's role in instigating the football side of that plan. However, who can really argue with sacking a manager with the worst record of any manager in recent times?

SL and the board are now damned if they do and damned if they don't in the eyes of many fans. SL was criticised for not getting rid of Johnson, Millen and Mcinness quickly enough but a manager with a worse record than any of them, and taking us towards league 2 should, according to many, have been given more time - how does that work? As I said, I am fully supportive of the 5 pillars plan, but also understand that the plan is not dependant on SOD being the manager, I find it rich that many fans were probably criticising SOD for his management through the season but are now advocating that the club have given up on the 5 pillars because they sacked him!

How do we know whether the board have made the right or the wrong decision, because only hindsight will tell us the answer? From where I am sitting I cannot fault the decision to let SOD go, other than the replacement could be worse. Bearing in mind that the pack of hounds that hunted down Johnson , Millen and McInnnes got there way, and then saw our fortunes worsen under each successive manager, I am not optimistic that most of our fans will thank the board for making what is a completely sound and sensible decision.

Let's track back a bit. Let's say our invisible chairman and JL were peed off at Saturday's result and agreed to remove O'D. At a board meeting on Monday, the decision was taken and reported back to SL on Guernsey, who thought about it and gave his orders on Tuesday, too late to sack O'D before the Orient game.

Think emperor Tiberius ruling Rome from the Isle of Capri, and you've got the right idea.

I think this one might be the closest to the mark I've read so far.

How about this one for a theory :

After hitting the bottom of the league one table after our defeat at home v Brentford, the board met and thought it was time to consider the manager's position.

Perhaps after that meeting they decided to give it time, perhaps they set something in stone, say give it another 5 games and have a target of points accumulated in mind.

A win at Carlisle, a home draw v Oldham, home win v Crawley, away draw at Tranmere and home defeat to Sheff U then follow - 8 points from 15.

Maybe that didn't reach the target the board had set 5 weeks prior - maybe they were looking for at least 10 points from those 15 - perhaps a win v Sheff U may have seen them set a new target.

So, following the Sheff U defeat, they met and decided it was time to make the move.

However, with Steve Lansdown not being present at AG v Sheff U, perhaps they had to wait for him to fly in for the Orient game to get him to sign off the required compensation package.

SL attends the Orient game, meets with the board afterwards, meets with SOD on the Wednesday and agrees the compensation package.

Announcement follows Thursday morning once the board have had time to draw up their communication strategy.

So, what I'm saying here, is that perhaps it was a Board decision (i.e. J Lansdown, Harman, Dawe & Ernie), but they had to get SL to agree to the pay-off required, but he wasn't in the Country until the Orient game.

Just saying, like..........

It's all speculation. It could have been a falling out over loan signings, or the decision already made after saturdays result and with the planning application for AG on wednesday they didn't have the proper time to implement it. Even that they thought they'd deflect the pressure they'll now receieve from George F and the TVG applicants to redevelop AG, kill two birds with one stone, no more talk of "get this stadium done quickly" from the greenies.

If its about theories, here's mine. The club get the go ahead for AG redevelopment on Wed night. SL says he wont back it if we get relegated, which looked likely with SO'D in charge. So SL says get rid of the manager and I will back the stadium development. Off you go my son and do what I say. After all, we all know who calls the shots at AG.

Yes, nice point, "Darobi," we have reviewed this and are scratching our heads, wondering why we didn't do it after Sheff U, last Saturday. Well, actually, between you and me, Jon kept putting it off, think he was dreading it, and all the explaining you have to go through after. All the fuss.

Good point, though

If its about theories, here's mine. The club get the go ahead for AG redevelopment on Wed night. SL says he wont back it if we get relegated, which looked likely with SO'D in charge. So SL says get rid of the manager and I will back the stadium development. Off you go my son and do what I say. After all, we all know who calls the shots at AG.

Without wishing to make it too much more obvious - it's not about theories.

Read Post #20.  There's not much theory in that one, I can assure you.

Without wishing to make it too much more obvious - it's not about theories.

Read Post #20.  There's not much theory in that one, I can assure you.

So are you saying that what Marmite said was never part of the thought process? because I can definitely see a correlation here, during the council house debate the premiership word was uttered on several occasions and I kept waiting for the accompanying laughter.

Archived