IGNORED

5 Pillars

glynriley

For the new manager

1. Give it your best shot

2. Drain every ounce of effort, passion and commitment from your players

3. Some width would be nice

4. If you're going to play a long ball game, do it properly and not with a 5' 7 striker

5. Win some bloody football matches

Good luck!

This my be on the other epic coterill threads but few years ago i remember pompey passing superbly even though they lost 2-1, kitson scored for them i think? Might not be the long ball merchant its thought? Regardless good luck to him.

We can only hope Steve, and as Red Robbo has pointed out on another thread, we should wait and see before pre judging, just as we do with players.

I will, in that I don't think I would buy a season ticket next season if I know it's going to be more of the same.

I'm not that arsed, can't even get upset about this shit anymore. The board have well and truly butchered my club.

Fair enough, but let's not kid ourseleves that we haven't played plenty of Long balls this season.

Fair enough, but let's not kid ourseleves that we haven't played plenty of Long balls this season.

Exactly what I was thinking, S.

An "attractive passing game" does not mean knocking it about between the back 4 for 5 minutes - under no pressure because other teams are happy to watch us dick about- then hoof it up to a midget and lose possession.

A long-ball played quickly and accurately can be a devastating weapon and we've conceded numerous this season from such attacks.

TBH my main worry with SC would be that he might neglect the young, developing players and brought in "experience" in the form of journeymen hasbeens. With a microbudget, maybe that's not too likely.

Exactly what I was thinking, S.

An "attractive passing game" does not mean knocking it about between the back 4 for 5 minutes - under no pressure because other teams are happy to watch us dick about- then hoof it up to a midget and lose possession.

A long-ball played quickly and accurately can be a devastating weapon and we've conceded numerous this season from such attacks.

TBH my main worry with SC would be that he might neglect the young, developing players and brought in "experience" in the form of journeymen hasbeens. With a microbudget, maybe that's not too likely.

Well, it was obvious that the team was set out to pass the ball before they hoofed it, unfortunately the movement in midfield meant the ball frequently came back to the defence when they had moved it into Pack. Once Pack is marked they had no option but to clear their lines.

The difference here will be we won't see any of that, no trying to play it out and eventually getting that movement and use of triangles in the middle of the pitch right as the ball will instantaneously be flying over their heads.

Well, it was obvious that the team was set out to pass the ball before they hoofed it, unfortunately the movement in midfield meant the ball frequently came back to the defence when they had moved it into Pack. Once Pack is marked they had no option but to clear their lines.

The difference here will be we won't see any of that, no trying to play it out and eventually getting that movement and use of triangles in the middle of the pitch right as the ball will instantaneously be flying over their heads.

Well I'm not so sure Jord. As Ralph has pointed out, Cotterill has played various different styles and cuts his cloth to fit what is available at the time.

If it's going to be Pulis-style hoofball to a tall striker, it'll not be pretty but at least we might win a few more.

Movement off the ball, as you correctly identified, is key however.

Let's see how Cotterill works out. As Sean was not an unpopular manager with the players I'm not expecting the dead cat bounce you get when the team are relieved to be rid of someone, and it'll take him a while to suss the shit from the sugar.

I hope he's met here with the same tolerance SOD got last season, but I hope he gets more success!

Well I'm not so sure Jord. As Ralph has pointed out, Cotterill has played various different styles and cuts his cloth to fit what is available at the time.

If it's going to be Pulis-style hoofball to a tall striker, it'll not be pretty but at least we might win a few more.

Movement off the ball, as you correctly identified, is key however.

Let's see how Cotterill works out. As Sean was not an unpopular manager with the players I'm not expecting the dead cat bounce you get when the team are relieved to be rid of someone, and it'll take him a while to suss the shit from the sugar.

I hope he's met here with the same tolerance SOD got last season, but I hope he gets more success!

It's easier to tolerate a genuinely intelligent bloke who is willing to explain his thinking to anyone who is interested. Cloggerill comes across as a bit thick and egotistical. Perhaps having a manager who is plainly a bit simple will help close the divide between some of our fans and the club...

With respect to you and Ralph, He had some fantastic technical players at Forest and refused to play them over Harewood, Greening and Tudgay (Tudgay being one of the worst players I've ever seen in the flesh). I have seen no evidence that he can mix it up, play different styles etc. You're a big fan of our Bobby, I cannot for the life of me see him being very close to Cloggers first team for very long. But, at least Marvin Elliot will be guaranteed a start.

It's easier to tolerate a genuinely intelligent bloke who is willing to explain his thinking to anyone who is interested. Cloggerill comes across as a bit thick and egotistical. Perhaps having a manager who is plainly a bit simple will help close the divide between some of our fans and the club...

With respect to you and Ralph, He had some fantastic technical players at Forest and refused to play them over Harewood, Greening and Tudgay (Tudgay being one of the worst players I've ever seen in the flesh). I have seen no evidence that he can mix it up, play different styles etc. You're a big fan of our Bobby, I cannot for the life of me see him being very close to Cloggers first team for very long. But, at least Marvin Elliot will be guaranteed a start.

He has played a mixed bag. Not for nothing were Cheltenham known as 'land of the giants'. And I agree he doesn't come across as a very likeable bloke - a bit Billy Davies if you like. The reason he disappoints me as a choice is he that he may well keep us up, possibly even get us up in a few years, but I think if we really want to aim high with an expanded / new ground, I'm not sure he is progressive enough to go further. I know it's becoming a bit of a cliche to say Swansea are the model (football wise), but in terms of developping a team / club that plays good stuff without spending loads, they are / should be. That's why it's a shame that SOD and his philosophy hasn't succeeded / wasn't given enough time too (delete as appropriate). That said, I repeat he will have my full backing while he's here, assuming he is being appointed.

That last scenario would be my fear, JT. Look at the bare stats and he could go "oh he's played so many hundreds of games and has Championship experience, he must be better than that youngster".

But until he's been here a while, we don't know that'll happen.

As for SOD's "intelligence". I think he flattered to deceive.

Cloggerill comes across as a bit thick and egotistical. Perhaps having a manager who is plainly a bit simple will help close the divide between some of our fans and the club....

It's amusing because it's true.

I actually think that intelligence can sometimes be an overrated commodity in a football manager. SOD was intelligent and look how that worked out. Coppell was an intelligent man and Millen and McInnes weren't exactly thick. If Cotterill's ego is greater than his intelligence it may even transpire to be a positive. It sounds to me like a perfect description of Gary Johnson, who joined us in an almost identical league position and as I recall didn't do too badly until he lost the plot and the dressing room.

Will it be hoofball? Possibly, but other posters have alluded to the fact that Cotterill's past teams have been known to pass the ball on occasion, so I think it only fair to keep the jury out on that one for the time being.

Finally, I personally would not trust the opinion or judgement of anybody that chose to support Nottingham Forest. Awful club.

That last scenario would be my fear, JT. Look at the bare stats and he could go "oh he's played so many hundreds of games and has Championship experience, he must be better than that youngster".

But until he's been here a while, we don't know that'll happen.

As for SOD's "intelligence". I think he flattered to deceive.

That's your opinion and I respect it, RR. It's a fear I think justified. It will be interesting to see how he sets up his first few games, If it's dull and uninspiring I can't imagine there will be much patience.

It's amusing because it's true.

I actually think that intelligence can sometimes be an overrated commodity in a football manager. SOD was intelligent and look how that worked out. Coppell was an intelligent man and Millen and McInnes weren't exactly thick. If Cotterill's ego is greater than his intelligence it may even transpire to be a positive. It sounds to me like a perfect description of Gary Johnson, who joined us in an almost identical league position and as I recall didn't do too badly until he lost the plot and the dressing room.

Will it be hoofball? Possibly, but other posters have alluded to the fact that Cotterill's past teams have been known to pass the ball on occasion, so I think it only fair to keep the jury out on that one for the time being.

Finally, I personally would not trust the opinion or judgement of anybody that chose to support Nottingham Forest. Awful club.

Sorry previous mis post. That sod was too 'intelligent' was nagging me as a reason why things weren't great, as although i agreed with lots of what he had to say it seemed he struggled to motivate. Perhaps a shouty wavey man will get things moving. However it's not a recipe for long term success as eventually players stop listening. You could argue that GJ was a prime example of that.

SOD was great at explaining what he wanted, just couldn't translate it to the pitch.

Just listened to Cotterill on player, wouldn't say he comes across as thick.

Also never realised he was in charge when Forest scored 7 at Leeds.

SOD was great at explaining what he wanted, just couldn't translate it to the pitch.

Just listened to Cotterill on player, wouldn't say he comes across as thick.

Also never realised he was in charge when Forest scored 7 at Leeds.

I don't care if he comes across as 'thick'...

...he comes across to me as someone who conveys passion and (ego justified or not) will not take 'prima donna' shite...

...look out all of you 'coasters', I say!

Archived