IGNORED

I Would Like A Quick Consensus Of This Decision If I May

M_Porter

A simple yes or no, dont worry about contract lengths etc ! I just want to know what % on here are happy in general at this.  

295 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When it's a decision that the vast majority of fans do not support it's a horrific decision by definition in my opinion.

People will automatically put immediate and often emotional reactions on here whether it be the sacking of SO'D or negative opinions of any new candidate.

I'm happy in my own conclusions that SO'D was failing at Bristol City and taking us absolutely nowhere, except quite likely Division 4. Last season's abysmal relegation showed he lacked the fight, the personality, and the ability to turn things round.

He had to go.

Who knows how Cotterill will fare as manager of BCFC but I like his passion and enthusiasm, his record with struggling clubs gives cause for optimism and, of course, it's very unlikely he can do any worse.The stands were emptying alarmingly under SO'D so clearly a large percentage of fans were drifting away from his Bristol City, including, ironically many on here who seemed outraged by his departure.

Time wil tell, but the dust is settling and I'm optimistic we have a more suitable man in place for the job in hand, and increased chance of a real fight being shown to at least maintain our status. We will not go down with a whimper under Cotterill.

So, to answer your earlier point, yes, I certainly prefer Cotterill to O'Driscoll as the man to lead the club at this time.

Time to get behind him, whatever your opinion of the board.

Well I voted yes, but frankly I wouldn't have started from here and remain unconvinced about the decision to fire SOD

That sir sounds more like a no then. I am very surprised that 25% voted yes. Probably, like you, its more a yes out of pure resignation and 'lets get behind him' I voted no but i will still get behind him but until this turns into success the board have lost a vast swathe of fans.

Nibor, I've always enjoyed reading your posts, but this time, WOW, I could not disagree more!

He does have a pretty compelling point though.. the ride along the way was fun and had Windbag not scored that wonder goal we would probably be in a very different position today but he did and we aren't. The stark reality is around about what he says.. whether they should sell up?... probably would not go quite that far myself but i can fully understand why he and perhaps others think that way and to have fans like that is in itself an extremely disappointing place to find ourselves.

Compare the club's overall position now to the club's overall position when Lansdown took control.

We're in a far worse financial position. A worse league position. We have made no progress on the stadium (we already had plans to redevelop). We have no notable difference in success with developing young players. We have a worse experience at the ticket office and turnstile. We have less engagement between fans and players as well as between fans and the board. We are changing managers every year. We have zero responsibility taken by the board.

I cannot find a reason to expect things to improve. I can find many disasters that the Lansdowns have presided over and some have been repeated mistakes of the exact same type.

Lansdown and his boy mean well but the reality is they've proven themselves over a long period of time to be fundamentally incompetent at running a football club. It's time for them to put the club up for sale and seek out new owners.

Couldn't have put it better Nibor. My sentiments summed up perfectly. It's there for all to see.

Clearly a horrific decision but what I'd be interested to see is of the minority who wanted rid of Sean O'Driscoll, how many prefer Cotterill? I imagine the answer even among that specially qualified group is very few.

I think now is the time to put pressure on the owners to seek to sell the club. They've taken it as far as we can allow them to.

Pressure on the owners to sell the club, such nonsense ! chicken farmers from India perhaps,  Arabs from Egypt and change the name to Bristol red breasts, and so on !  who do you fancy who will support all his managers and put his own money into the club, and LOVES Bristol !   Sorry must not go off topic but soooo much misinformation here about SC it is unreal !  He saved Florist from the drop when they were sinking like a stone.  He simply must be given a chance, and the 'herd menatlity' is a joke 

Think we must get behind him regardless.

Could be a unifying factor that's so depressingly devoid and could represent a turning of the tide. 'Could' being only a slightly bigger word than 'if' of course.

Despite City fans' reputation, I expect attenders at AG and away will rally behind him for the good of the club.

It's them upstairs who may feel our rath. That will be fan hitting shit time.

Clearly a horrific decision but what I'd be interested to see is of the minority who wanted rid of Sean O'Driscoll, how many prefer Cotterill? I imagine the answer even among that specially qualified group is very few.

I think now is the time to put pressure on the owners to seek to sell the club. They've taken it as far as we can allow them to.

It was anyone but SOD for me. His time was up

I believe he'll get more than 2 wins from 18 games. 18 games that included plenty of hoofball.

We'll see. Can't be any worse IMO.

I've seen this comment many a time recently on here, but how do you come to that conclusion?  

Granted we had a few defeats under SO'D this season, but normally by the odd goal,  and our GD would usually indicate somewhere around a mid table position.  

Who's to say we won't start getting regular dickings now?  Make no mistake, things could have been MUCH WORSE under SO'D and let's hope they don't start going that way now.

Pressure on the owners to sell the club, such nonsense ! chicken farmers from India perhaps,  Arabs from Egypt and change the name to Bristol red breasts, and so on !  who do you fancy who will support all his managers and put his own money into the club, and LOVES Bristol !   Sorry must not go off topic but soooo much misinformation here about SC it is unreal !  He saved Florist from the drop when they were sinking like a stone.  He simply must be given a chance, and the 'herd menatlity' is a joke

Why do we need a big money foreign owner? The fans put more cash into this club every year than Steve Lansdown. Other clubs can be run profitably without massive overinvestment, why not ours? I don't suggest that the Lansdowns should sell up lightly, I supported them more consistently than all but a few over the years, but supporting managers and loving Bristol (from overseas) is not enough for me. I'd like to see some actual responsible business management and leadership for a change. Maybe even some measurable progress?

As for Cotterill "saving" Forest, perhaps you could consider a comparison rather than "misinformation"? Cotterill joined Forest mid October with 35 games to play and they finished with 50 points - 41 of which were earned under him.

Derek McInnes joined us five days afterwards. We had 34 games to play and finished with 49 points, 43 of which were earned under Cotterill.

The football ,from an entertainment point of view,was DIRE.  Knocking the ball sideways and backwards untill the defence ran out of ideas,then Hoofballing it up to our lone striker who happened to be the shortest player on the pitch and marked by probably three of the tallest blokes on the field was NOT amusing.  I doubt whoever had taken over as manager would use those failing tactics. The table do'es not lie. SOD did'nt know how to save us from relegation last season and was showing that he had learnt nothing from that experience. As much as I wanted SOD to  be a success here, he did not fill me with confidence.He could talk a good game,err um Mutter mumble sniff sniff,but talking the talk and walking the walk as far as his teams were concerned were miles apart. The first thing I can see with our new manager is Passion. If that means getting the ball forward quicker and at pace and actually attacking teams at home instead  of trying to bore them to death,then I'm all for it. Away teams have had it so easy this season that you would'nt believe. I for one believe the dire performance against Sheff U. was the last straw. Now we have a fighting chance of staying up.  Support your local Manager

Compare the club's overall position now to the club's overall position when Lansdown took control.

We're in a far worse financial position. A worse league position. We have made no progress on the stadium (we already had plans to redevelop). We have no notable difference in success with developing young players. We have a worse experience at the ticket office and turnstile. We have less engagement between fans and players as well as between fans and the board. We are changing managers every year. We have zero responsibility taken by the board.

I cannot find a reason to expect things to improve. I can find many disasters that the Lansdowns have presided over and some have been repeated mistakes of the exact same type.

Lansdown and his boy mean well but the reality is they've proven themselves over a long period of time to be fundamentally incompetent at running a football club. It's time for them to put the club up for sale and seek out new owners.

As easy as that, simple really and every problem solved

As easy as that, simple really and every problem solved

I read that as sarcasm so apologies if I have you wrong but let me ask you - do you disagree with how I've described our position? And if not, what cause for optimism under the Lansdowns do you see? Why are they suddenly going to start making decent decisions?

I've seen this comment many a time recently on here, but how do you come to that conclusion?

Granted we had a few defeats under SO'D this season, but normally by the odd goal, and our GD would usually indicate somewhere around a mid table position.

Who's to say we won't start getting regular dickings now? Make no mistake, things could have been MUCH WORSE under SO'D and let's hope they don't start going that way now.

Steve Cotterill will win more than 2 in his first 18. That is an improvement.

Think BigTone is saying that you've spelled out the issue but offered no actual solutions. . .

Well if that's the case I'd say that the solution to owners that can't take us forward is new owners. For that to happen the present owners need to acknowledge that they have gone as far as they can and seek buyers. There isn't much more that can be done with the same group of decision makers sadly.

Archived