IGNORED

Makes More Sense Now

Swindon8er

Basically it seems clear that the board didn't like SOD, and felt he was too soft on the players, which I guess looking at it is fair, 23rd in League one after 4 month is totally unacceptable and SOD was always backing the players.

SC is well known as a  very disciplined manager and I'm guessing the board feel the players need a serious kick up the backside.

Although I don't feel SOD should have been sacked, let's see if the board are right, because this squad should never be where they are in the league and the board must feel a bit of discipline will turn things around.

No doubting though if the reign doesn't start well, fans will turn on the board, big time.

SOD's approach was a joke IMO.

"I won't coach them...just tell them to make their own decisions".

In that case. What do they get taught on the training ground day after day?

Match day came and there was no style of play as no ****** knew what the hell to do!

SC is old school and will get them well drilled.

SOD's approach was a joke IMO.

"I won't coach them...just tell them to make their own decisions".

In that case. What do they get taught on the training ground day after day?

Match day came and there was no style of play as no ****** knew what the hell to do!

SC is old school and will get them well drilled.

you forgot the creme del la creme.....i dont look @ league tables    :shifty:  :shifty:

Listening to JL in an in-house interview after the press conference, he stated that SC will "bring a bit of life about the place" and mentioned his enthusiasm etc. Seems to me that SODs personality may have been a problem for them, I know that SL hinted at that some time ago saying that they'll have to get used to him. Its likely that they didn't.

I don't know whether this one will work or not...

...but I do think that there will definitely be a lot more 'life' around the place, and one way or another it WILL be a lot more entertaining.

I don't know whether this one will work or not...

...but I do think that there will definitely be a lot more 'life' around the place, and one way or another it WILL be a lot more entertaining.

Wonder how many feathers will get ruffled.. Will be interesting to see the coming and goings over the next few months.

I did wonder that myself. There didn't seem to be any direction during the match. If the players are too stagnant, (Sheffield Utd. and Shrewsbury) did he actually tell them to move? No he didn't.

No he didnt do anything other than say post match that 'they were excelent at times'. yawn! I think the board got fed up with that line when clearly we were anything but. There was a thread not so long ago about the emperors new clothes comparing SOD to the tailor. Well the OP got that spot on in my book and the board seen through it when they looked at the league table.

The board now think they need a kick up the jacksy..... well what the effing hell did the think they needed post McInnes - indeed McInnes was about to deliver that by dropping the players.

Clueless

Agree with the OP. If you look at his record and character he's a bit of a GJ type -and can you blame the board for being attracted to that?

Loved his quote talking about discipline "doesn't mean there will be no laughing and joking, there'll be plenty of that..... when we're winning".

And he's said that he is keen to focus on the way we play not over analysing the opposition.

I dare say he's not as technically knowledgable and "modern" as SOD but he's brilliantly positive. If he can find some good strong characters amongst our squad they'll respond to that.

I have to say that I am starting to buy into this...

...it's only the alleged 'hoofball' that is niggling me now...

I'm already in Superjack, I'm much more positive about City now that O'Driscoll's gone.

It feels like an oppressive dark cloud has been lifted from the club.

OTIB's incredibly negative response to Cotterill is staggering, he appears to be a breath of fresh air and exactly what we need at this time.

Apart from my opinion on Carey I've never found myself so much at odds with the apparent majority on here about both SO'D's sacking and Cotterill's appointment.

We'll see how it turns out, but with this fresh start there's cause for optimism today when I felt absolutely none under the depressing O'Driscoll.

Saw one of the interviews with SC last night, he's got an enthusiasm about him that is quite appealing, often going off point and going onto other stories, he looked like an excited kid

Whereas the interview with SOD after the Orient game he looked beaten. Eyes were gone, game over

I've just written on another thread that I don't think there was lack of effort as such, more lack of direction, leadership and they looked stiffled in their play.

The fact they were allowed so freely to do what they want scared them. The majority of the players are fairly young and inexperienced, they need structure and discipline. Not necessary strict discipline but orders, boundaries, game plans. I am happy now that this will be put in place along with bringing in a leader, SC will quickly see we don't have one and how much one is needed. Just this change alone will be a positive move.

• Admin

I'm already in Superjack, I'm much more positive about City now that O'Driscoll's gone.

It feels like an oppressive dark cloud has been lifted from the club.

OTIB's incredibly negative response to Cotterill is staggering, he appears to be a breath of fresh air and exactly what we need at this time.

Apart from my opinion on Carey I've never found myself so much at odds with the apparent majority on here about both SO'D's sacking and Cotterill's appointment.

We'll see how it turns out, but with this fresh start there's cause for optimism today when I felt absolutely none under the depressing O'Driscoll.

I'm with you on this, the content of this forum is confusing, many buying into the 5 pillars and SO'D, but then slating the board. SO'D's record would have fans of any club clamouring for his head. Last season I was so disillusioned by the performances under him, that I decided to go POTD this season, after 25 years or so of continual season ticket ownership. Sadly, work has meant I've missed all the games so far this year, but do I feel disappointed, no, the results and reports I see and hear, on here and first hand have done nothing to persaude me I made a poor decision.

I will make an effort to get along now and hope to see some football that gets arse cheeks off of seats, its been in short supply under SO'D, I am indifferent but supportive of SC now he's in the hot seat, so I hope he is a great success, just as I have hoped every other Manager (or Head Coach) would be.

Football,is a simple game, do coaches like SO'D over complicate things? If bringing in a couple of players and playing direct keeps us in the league and builds a winning mentality, then so be it, the team and the fans have turned fortress Ashton into a softy, come on in and help yourselves to the points, place, lets get some pride back in the place.

looking forward to how SC will set the team up, comes across as positive and will not accept a lack of effort.

lot has been posted on here about timing of Sods sacking, but as someone who backed Sod, the Sheffield game for me was the beggining of the end, it was so negative with tatics of trying not to conceed and nick a goal rather than going after a fragile team. I think this was the last straw for the board and set things in motion before the improved display against orient.

so looking forward to a much more attacking display and someone alongside Baldock

Having slept on this last night, my anger yesterday has dissipated a bit. I still hold the board in complete contempt, but I'm feeling more positive about Steve Cotterill. No, he wouldn't have been my choice, but his apparent enthusiasm and excitement for the job is refreshing after the downbeat SO'D. I'm not saying he's definitely going to be a brilliant success, but it seems he's going to approach this challenge with the right frame of mind and hopefully this will rub off on the players and give them a new lease of life. 

I'm going to give him and the players a chance to turn this season around, and what I want to see on Sunday is a performance of passion, organisation and spirit. It sounds cliched, but we're bottom of League One, and that's what we need right now. 

Come on you reds.

I'm feeling more positive about Steve Cotterill. No, he wouldn't have been my choice, but his apparent enthusiasm and excitement for the job is refreshing after the downbeat SO'D. I'm not saying he's definitely going to be a brilliant success, but it seems he's going to approach this challenge with the right frame of mind and hopefully this will rub off on the players and give them a new lease of life. 

I'm going to give him and the players a chance to turn this season around, and what I want to see on Sunday is a performance of passion, organisation and spirit. It sounds cliched, but we're bottom of League One, and that's what we need right now. 

Come on you reds.

Nice one, CP. That was kind of what I was trying to say yesterday when you (and others) took umbrage.

I don't subscribe to the theory that boards' actions should never be questioned. Of course they should, the club "belongs" to the guys (and girls) sitting in the cold watching the team,, week-in, week-out...

I can see why together they worked at forest. Shame we don't have both - Cotterill to be the motivator and the drill master, O'Driscoll the tactician and thinker.

Now we've just got someone who I think will shout a lot. We'll win games, but it won't be nice and it won't be fun.

I can see why together they worked at forest. Shame we don't have both - Cotterill to be the motivator and the drill master, O'Driscoll the tactician and thinker.

Now we've just got someone who I think will shout a lot. We'll win games, but it won't be nice and it won't be fun.

This tends to sum it up nicely..

Let's hope SC has more than just the shouting about him, and doesn't lose his way tactically..

Keeping Pemberton may help this..?

This tends to sum it up nicely..

Let's hope SC has more than just the shouting about him, and doesn't lose his way tactically..

Keeping Pemberton may help this..?

I'd hate to see the well-drilled tactics we've become famous for this season go adrift. We could fall the one remaining place that's beneath us in the division.....

Archived