IGNORED

Ashton Gate Eight And Now - No Comparison

CiderJar

That's true PB, but its still a discussion point as to whether they were doing us a favour or just taking the only cash they could get.

The point is, if they didn't give a t*ss about BCFC they would have taken the money.  If they loved BCFC they would have taken the money. 

Hence the debate.

Sorry, everytime I hear we are playing badly, look like we are in the sh1t3, the ashton gate 8 suddenly come up, yawn its 2013 not 1982

silly comment,

some of the younger fans do not know how it actually went down in those days I was to young to know until reading articals like this,

No players today will ever do what those players did for us and that is a sad horible fact about modern football

When AG is being Re-developed, IMO we should have statues of the eight players that saved this club and have the information of each player at the bottom... ' when signed for the club, position, apps, and what they did for this club ' etc.

Every young supporter walking into AG will then know what BCFC is all about. It would be worth every penny IMO.

These men need to be remembered. Legends

Wouldn't go as far as that,  Ateyo and Wedlock yes, plaques for the AG8 yes but not statues

I know its silly, that's why I'm saying it, as soon as we say we are doing bad, 1982 crops up and comparisons to today are made. 2013 has nothing on it, I wasn't there, I was born in 85, I think a statue should be erected cuz without what those 8 did, our club would be nothing

When AG is being Re-developed, IMO we should have statues of the eight players that saved this club and have the information of each player at the bottom... ' when signed for the club, position, apps, and what they did for this club ' etc.

Every young supporter walking into AG will then know what BCFC is all about. It would be worth every penny IMO.

These men need to be remembered. Legends

As do Deryn Coller and Ken Sage.

That's true PB, but its still a discussion point as to whether they were doing us a favour or just taking the only cash they could get.

The point is, if they didn't give a t*ss about BCFC they would have taken the money.  If they loved BCFC they would have taken the money. 

Hence the debate.

It's a good point CR. There was considerable resistance from some of them at the time. I remember a general feeling that if they hadn't been so greedy in the first place then we would have been alright. But I don't think that was the case and it was their livelihood; most of them barely played again

After leaving Bristol City in 1982:

1. Julian Marshall - no records that I can find
  2. Chris Garland - our then record sale and buy (to Chelsea and from Leicester) was re-employed for a year
  3. Jimmy Mann - the wonderful free kicks of "Jimmy Mann, Jimmy Mann, Jimmy Mann" played  a handful of games for  Barnsley, Scun7horpe and Doncaster before dropping to non-league with Goole Town in 1983
  4. Peter Aitken -played a handful of games for York City and once for Bournemouth and then non-league until his last game for Bath City in 1988
  5. Geoff Merrick - scorer of the most spectacular own goal you will ever have seen played a few times for Gloucester City but essentially and infamously enjoyed a second career as a postman
  6. Dave Rodgers - played a few games for Torquay, and a few for Lincoln before joining Forest Green. 
  7. Gerry Sweeney - A few games for York before ending his career with Gloucester City in 1984
  8. Trevor Tainton - a wonderful player joined Torquay for a few games and ended up at Trowbridge in 1983

ag8.jpg

The Ashton Gate Eight

Top (Left to right): Peter Aitken, Julian Marshall, David Rodgers, Geoff Merrick. Bottom (Left to right): Gerry Sweeney, Trevor Tainton, Chris Garland, Jimmy Mann.

from http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news/article000258.shtml

I think the phrase magnificent sacrifice is slightly misleading my recollection of events are they were offered half of what they were entitled to and strongly encouraged by fans and board members alike to take it or else.

Exactly. I think people like to re-write history and make the 8 out to be heroes.

Yes, they made the right decision in the end but it was touch and go and our club nearly died.

The 8 didn't have much of a choice in the end and death threats from fans probably helped persuade them.

The players who were on massive wages and didn't perform on the pitch get treated as martyrs years later, unbelievable.

I think you've probably (sadly) hit the nail on the head there SouthBristolCityBhoy.

But my original point stands, we were in ruins on and off the pitch, and there is no comparison between what was going on then and what we are dealing with now. It's a bit like comparing recessions in the 1930s with post-war, post welfare state, recessions. Nowadays we all manage to get a bite to eat and a flat screen TV, back then a recession meant you went hungry and spent your evening watching the bare wall.

Nostalgia is not what it used to be either.

Does make you wonder though. These 8 on massive wages (then owners fault) bleeding the club dry, once they left they did nothing. Which tells you what you need to know. Old players on their last big pay check leeching money from the club.

Whst often goes overlooked is these top division players were also the ones that took us to the fourth division. Did they want to play/put the effort in once we dropped out of the first division? Didn't look like the team of grafters we once knew. I remember gutless performances. They like players after them were on easy street.

What also isn't mentioned, they tore up their contracts, yes. But if they didn't they wouldn't have got paid anyway. There was nothing left. They at the last minute agreed to tear them up, probably under duress of a ashton gate lynch mob. What could hsve been a nasty end to their career ended up as maybe painful but also enabled them to go down in folklore.

For me, good players in their time, but really let the fans and club down with inept displays in a toothless drop through the divisions all while lording it up week after week on the bevvies. Many a time players rolling out of pubs and clubs in the early hours, some even spotted coming out of pubs and clubs on they day of the match!

Rose tints abound I think. They didn't rip up those contracts out of the goodness of their hearts or they would have done it months before. They did it because their lives would not have been worth living if the club went under.

Dicks and the Board were the real ones to blame, handing out massive contracts to some players getting old and certainly not any better. We were nearly kilked by some scared board members and manager and some players who were happy to look a gift horse in the mouth.

If anyone deserved a statue or plaque it is messers coller and sage

Does make you wonder though. These 8 on massive wages (then owners fault) bleeding the club dry, once they left they did nothing. Which tells you what you need to know. Old players on their last big pay check leeching money from the club.

Whst often goes overlooked is these top division players were also the ones that took us to the fourth division. Did they want to play/put the effort in once we dropped out of the first division? Didn't look like the team of grafters we once knew. I remember gutless performances. They like players after them were on easy street.

What also isn't mentioned, they tore up their contracts, yes. But if they didn't they wouldn't have got paid anyway. There was nothing left. They at the last minute agreed to tear them up, probably under duress of a ashton gate lynch mob. What could hsve been a nasty end to their career ended up as maybe painful but also enabled them to go down in folklore.

For me, good players in their time, but really let the fans and club down with inept displays in a toothless drop through the divisions all while lording it up week after week on the bevvies. Many a time players rolling out of pubs and clubs in the early hours, some even spotted coming out of pubs and clubs on they day of the match!

Rose tints abound I think. They didn't rip up those contracts out of the goodness of their hearts or they would have done it months before. They did it because their lives would not have been worth living if the club went under.

Dicks and the Board were the real ones to blame, handing out massive contracts to some players getting old and certainly not any better. We were nearly kilked by some scared board members and manager and some players who were happy to look a gift horse in the mouth.

If anyone deserved a statue or plaque it is messers coller and sage

Its difficult to lay blame at any one player, but to hold them up as heroes for the contract saga - well, I didn't get it back then and I still don't.

Its fine to challenge history - quite healthy in fact. That's why its OK to criticise Winston Churchill for quaffing gallons of champers whilst fellow london residents were being blown to pieces on the streets above his bunker.

History is too often just a single version of events.  Once it takes hold, the facts often get in the way.

Sorry, everytime I hear we are playing badly, look like we are in the sh1t3, the ashton gate 8 suddenly come up, yawn its 2013 not 1982

I take it you werent around then? I was and what went on then is ten times worse than the shambles now. Wrong decisions made all over the place. Lessons learned then are still valid in 2013.

Archived