IGNORED

Ashton Gate Eight And Now - No Comparison

CiderJar

Those of us lucky enough to remember the days in the old First Division were also unlucky enough to remember the four bleak years that followed.

To compare the state the club was in then to the mini-crisis we are going through now is ridiculous. I clearly remember not being sure whether we were going to have a club to support. That game against Fulham, after the Ashton Gate Eight made their magnificent sacrifice, was a huge relief. I still have the car sticker that read "Support Bristol City - Now or Never" and that was literally the case.

We will never be in that situation again and I know that, contrary to what some people on here believe, relegation will not be "fatal". We do appear to be at a low ebb at the moment but we are so far removed from the circumstances that surrounded us then. We really need to see that. I have been "City till I Die" since 1975, in 1982 I almost lost "City" prematurely early. Like not wanting to bury your own child, City must never be allowed to die.

I suggest we need to manage our expectations and remain patient as we continue to build a future. I support calls for Steve Lansdown to appoint a competent business orientated board; but I no longer believe that his son and Keith Dawe are up to the job.  This club can not be run on sentiment, it must be run as a business.

For anybody wanting an education the attached article by Pete Spencer describes what went on in the lead up to 1982... believe me it was horrific and we are so lucky to be nowhere near that situation now.

http://www.soccersouls.com/2013/12/bristol-city-and-ashton-gate-eight/?

Good to reflect upon.

I wonder what a forum would have been saying if one existed back then. Not too reserved I reckon.

Once the eight had gone and been replaced by youngsters and we fans were only too glad to still have City, we all felt a trong bond of togetherness; players, board and fans.

The 80-81 season which saw us fall straight through Div 2 would have seen a forum full of rants about players and tactics not good enough etc.

Once the eight had gone and been replaced by youngsters and we fans were only too glad to still have City, we all felt a trong bond of togetherness; players, board and fans.

The 80-81 season which saw us fall straight through Div 2 would have seen a forum full of rants about players and tactics not good enough etc.

Yep, I can't help wonder what football would've be like if internet forums, comment forms on news stories and social media were around in the past. Bloody unbearable I reckon! 

I remember a backs to the wall mentality and a fan base that although smaller, was United.

I didn't get to see as many games myself, as I was playing instead of watching.

But it does stand out as a strong memory...different times and mentality back then though.

As another who remembers the dark days of 1982, I can only echo their comments. Like CJ, 1975 was my first season and the rise to the top table was incredible. As a little cider'ed, I thought that was where we belonged but alas we fell and by gawd did we fall!

I went to a very strict catholic school where uniformity and obedience were strictly enforced yet, even then, on the 'last' day when we went into school expecting City to have been would up by the time we came out, the head allowed pupils to wear colours for one day as a sign of support ' defiance.

The stickers CJ mentions 'support Bristol City, now or never' were everywhere at the time yet a strongly bonded club grew from the ashes of the previous one. The support were totally united on survival and the unity of that time could never be repeated as news is so readily available nowadays and the various forums give people a platform to express their opinions an disagree with others. Everyone, literally everyone, was united in 1982 as I remember it and many a glass has been raised to Derryn since.

Great post CJ and a sobering thought for those who weren't around then.

I agree with the sentiment of this thread, all of the lead up to the 11th hour acceptance and the tearing up their lucrative contracts by the real heroes the Ashton 8, it was indeed a touch and go miserable time indeed and one that will never be repeated in the modern game Portsmouth players proved that.

But for me the minute that I knew that the club had been saved and would carry on, I have nothing other than the happiest of memories, young kids, journeymen and cast off's working their individual nuts off week after week, players coach travel on the day, no over nighters, stopping off on the way home for fish and chips (sometimes paid for by TC) and after hitting the bottom of the pile and that golden day in december 1983 2nd round FA cup game at Eastville turning the gas over 2-1, the first time we allowed ourselves to be believe that being back in our rightful position as No.1 team in Bristol could become a reality again.

Slowly but surely turning the corner and building a side to be proud of with fantastic characters unearthed by TC and Clive Middlemass and the 2 wonderful wembley days out and more than holding our own in the old 3rd division and savoring every minute of it because we knew how close we came to losing it all.

This current situation is just a pimple on yer arse in comparison believe me, 4 bleak years never, 4 glorious years IMO.

I'm pretty sure we drew home and away 0-0 with Chelsea during the 1980-81 season - we'd all take those results now !!!!!!!!

....also, the 1980-81 season saw us lose narrowly to Nottingham Forest away at the City Ground Nottingham in the 5th round of the FA Cup. 2-1 was the result and Nottingham Forest were Champions of Europe at that time. The City faithful launching their pork pies at Peter Shilton from the pack lunch provided to City fans for travelling by train was a joyous sight I'll never forget. :D

Great post CJ. At the time I was 17 years old, times were very worrying. BUT the unity then amongst the City fans I will never forget. I admit, I have become a bit of an armchair fan in recent years, mainly due to the existing board. Until things change at the top, I will remain one.

The 'Famous 8' we should never forget. Especially when you see the hard times some have fallen on.

The current lot needs a sort out and only the fans can make the changes happen. Time to bring change in my opinion. We should give the new manager a chance, but I too believe this is another awful decision made by this 'mickey mouse' board - doomed to failure - again!

As others say, some think this is bad!!

Great memories of going to Man City towards the end of our last season in the 1st division,then, a couple years later going to Hereford,Shrewsbury etc!

The fall from the top flight was horrible, words can't describe how bad we were and how hard it was for us fans.

Going to that game at Newport thinking that it was the end of our club was even worse.

But after what the AG8 did ( I'm still so grateful) we all came together as fans.

We still took loads everywhere,the 4th Division away days were ( looking back) some if the best times I've had in my life.

Hundreds of lads in there early 20's enjoying Football ( and what came with it ;) ) just for fun.

After all, it felt like we had a second chance,and we were going to grab it.

It's not exactly great at our club at the moment, but it will NEVER be as depressing as travelling to Newport County thinking it was our last ever game.

The Ashton 8 would have been shown no mercy on this forum, and quite rightly so.  The amount of criticism players get these days for under-achieving in a big way, and yet still picking up bloated wages for pathetic performances that are keep us in perilously close to the bottom league is basically a given, no-one really disputes the deadwood we still have, or have just managed to offload.

The Ashton 8 , bearing in mind that 6 of these played for us in the top flight (and the respect I have for that achievement will never go away), were bleeding the club dry and turning in abysmal performances and achieving abysmal results. As someone said the other day, the league table doesn't lie.  However, back in 1982, there were no internet forums where such things could have been analysed and discussed to the nth degree. Instead we were drip fed stories from the local media which tended to favour the "hard done by" players, and when they were effectively made redundant, because the administrators first realisation was that their inflated wages and lengthy contracts were unsustainable for the club to survive, these overpaid underachievers weirdly became cult heroes.

They did not make any sacrifice, as the club would apparently have folded if they had not ripped up their contracts, and they wouldn't have been paid anyway. 

I always get some one have a go when I post my views on this subject, that's fine, I just don't see they would have got the sympathy today as they got 31 years ago.

Having said all that, although the principle is the same (ie too many players taking the club for a ride) the situation of the club is totally different now, so I have no worries about the threat of going bust again.

As another who remembers the dark days of 1982, I can only echo their comments. Like CJ, 1975 was my first season and the rise to the top table was incredible. As a little cider'ed, I thought that was where we belonged but alas we fell and by gawd did we fall!

I went to a very strict catholic school where uniformity and obedience were strictly enforced yet, even then, on the 'last' day when we went into school expecting City to have been would up by the time we came out, the head allowed pupils to wear colours for one day as a sign of support ' defiance.

The stickers CJ mentions 'support Bristol City, now or never' were everywhere at the time yet a strongly bonded club grew from the ashes of the previous one. The support were totally united on survival and the unity of that time could never be repeated as news is so readily available nowadays and the various forums give people a platform to express their opinions an disagree with others. Everyone, literally everyone, was united in 1982 as I remember it and many a glass has been raised to Derryn since.

Great post CJ and a sobering thought for those who weren't around then.

Had one of them in my window at home - not sure what it says about me but that was the moment I decided City were my lot, rather than the blue of both my parents! I suppose it shows that even in that position City are a better bet!

It was a true roller coaster, but the revival under TC was amazing. The positive football, joy at having a football club and togetherness were amazing. Great times, and some great players to watch, maybe not the best, but always 100%. Sadly lessons not learnt as the reckless spending of recent years prove, and previously under Clueless.

The Ashton 8 would have been shown no mercy on this forum, and quite rightly so.  The amount of criticism players get these days for under-achieving in a big way, and yet still picking up bloated wages for pathetic performances that are keep us in perilously close to the bottom league is basically a given, no-one really disputes the deadwood we still have, or have just managed to offload.

The Ashton 8 , bearing in mind that 6 of these played for us in the top flight (and the respect I have for that achievement will never go away), were bleeding the club dry and turning in abysmal performances and achieving abysmal results. As someone said the other day, the league table doesn't lie.  However, back in 1982, there were no internet forums where such things could have been analysed and discussed to the nth degree. Instead we were drip fed stories from the local media which tended to favour the "hard done by" players, and when they were effectively made redundant, because the administrators first realisation was that their inflated wages and lengthy contracts were unsustainable for the club to survive, these overpaid underachievers weirdly became cult heroes.

They did not make any sacrifice, as the club would apparently have folded if they had not ripped up their contracts, and they wouldn't have been paid anyway. 

I always get some one have a go when I post my views on this subject, that's fine, I just don't see they would have got the sympathy today as they got 31 years ago.

Having said all that, although the principle is the same (ie too many players taking the club for a ride) the situation of the club is totally different now, so I have no worries about the threat of going bust again.

Agreed,  as has been said many a time before, but for some reason people don't mention it,  Deryn Coller and Ken Sage saved City from extinction.

Not sure if it's a little bit through rose coloured spec's but with the teenagers playing I don't remember any criticism from the crowd.

There were some very average players but the smaller support really got behind the team.

• I must be a masochist, the lower we went ,the more I went. Did enjoy the 4th div trips, 

Not sure if it's a little bit through rose coloured spec's but with the teenagers playing I don't remember any criticism from the crowd.

There were some very average players but the smaller support really got behind the team.

• I must be a masochist, the lower we went ,the more I went. Did enjoy the 4th div trips, 

Agreed 100% i think it was called shit or bust.....but we done it....terry cooper assisted init mind

It was a true roller coaster, but the revival under TC was amazing. The positive football, joy at having a football club and togetherness were amazing. Great times, and some great players to watch, maybe not the best, but always 100%. Sadly lessons not learnt as the reckless spending of recent years prove, and previously under Clueless.

Interesting though that we stuck with TC despite winning only two games in the first half of his first full season! And, like you say, went on to some great times under him. Wouldn't have been given that patience today, eh?!

Sorry, everytime I hear we are playing badly, look like we are in the sh1t3, the ashton gate 8 suddenly come up, yawn its 2013 not 1982

Thanks. That was my reason for starting the thread. There is no comparison. Quite happy with the majority of responses, this one was a little irritating, some of us just like a chat, if you don't just .... well just don't really.

I remember going to Swindon for a night game under TC in those dark days, absolute bedlum!

Also the gas Eastville game walking down Stapleton Road mob handed, 1-0 down, 2-1 up!!!!

Memories noone can take away from us who went in those days!

Everyone behind the club with a passion- loved it! Gr8 days.

Thanks. That was my reason for starting the thread. There is no comparison. Quite happy with the majority of responses, this one was a little irritating, some of us just like a chat, if you don't just .... well just don't really.

Still a bit different though. TC was forced to play youngsters likes Newman, Chandler, Musker, Economou and bring in freebies like Glyn Riley, Alan Crawford etc..

He never had the luxury of spending a tidy sum on a Centre Half, and then moaning we paid over the odds.

But lets not turn this into a TC v SOD debate, because there's only one winner there.

Great days, will never forget that cup match at Eastville or the 1-0 home win v York City when Paul Stevens' goal sent us to the top of the league.

When AG is being Re-developed, IMO we should have statues of the eight players that saved this club and have the information of each player at the bottom... ' when signed for the club, position, apps, and what they did for this club ' etc.

Every young supporter walking into AG will then know what BCFC is all about. It would be worth every penny IMO.

These men need to be remembered. Legends

Archived