IGNORED

Ctts Pre Tamworth...certainly Different!

slartibartfast

Just watched interview, certainley different style, not saying better, not saying worse. With SOD it was always a bit like pulling teeth, but SC seems more effusive. Interesting he said he ain't going to study any preivious DVDs , totally different to SOD who used to pour over them !

Yep , just watched it, comes across ok to me. Like the idea of picking players based on what he's seen in training rather than watching previous games, which may give a negative impression.

Interesting to see Carey was in training as well, first start of the season tomorrow?*

*Or Sunday, even!

Nothing more than a charm offensive from Cotterill. If he hasn't watched any City DVD's then he's not doing his job properly.

That said he'll obviously listen to what Pemberton thinks about the squad and players strengths and abilities. How else would Cotterill be clued up enough to select a team? He can't make such vital decisions based on 3 days training.

Nothing more than a charm offensive from Cotterill. If he hasn't watched any City DVD's then he's not doing his job properly.

That said he'll obviously listen to what Pemberton thinks about the squad and players strengths and abilities. How else would Cotterill be clued up enough to select a team? He can't make such vital decisions based on 3 days training.

Another conference manager, unlike the thinking man's managers eh?, don't give your seal of approval that usually works fine.

Another conference manager, unlike the thinking man's managers eh?, don't give your seal of approval that usually works fine.

Ease up EMB.

I'm just stating the obvious that's all. Some will fall for the all the talk and charm but I've seen too many managers come and go to take any of them seriously after just 4 days in the job.

He also said that Tamworth would be a very difficul game ! if sod had said that I'm sure their would have been several negative threads on here ! tbf atm if " cotts " was to read out the telephone directory in his dulcet cheltonian tones some on here would be swooning like 14 year olds at a bieber concert !

He can't make such vital decisions based on 3 days training.

And from hat I saw of him on the tv local news he is not saying he can. Obviously I've not seen his team play yet, and Sundays game still won't give us a full picture with it being an FA cup game, but he is winning me over and I feel more confident we are on the right track now.

During the interview he said something along the lines of 'I'm not being disrespectful ( to sod?), but we had a full training session today and hopefully this will show in our legs/fitness'.

I didn't catch what he said exactly as my family were talking but he didn't come across as the 'big I am' I thought he was. He seemed confident and well prepared and said it was his first proper day really working with the players. It seems his idea of training and that of Sod's are quite different. Lets see how the players respond shall we?

Really?  I think he should be spending all the time he can with the players and staff and finding out about Tamworth rather than watching DVDs of past games.

Cotterill has a reputation for being a hard worker, regularly going above and beyond. He would/should have seen DVDs of City playing.

I find it hard that SC hasn't watched any DVDs of previous games, in fact it would disappoint me if he didn't. You can learn only so much about players on the training ground. How people react to going a goal down, how people perform away from home etc. I've read many times of top managers spending hours scouring over recent games. I can fully understand he wants to start with a clean slate, but failing to prepare, is preparing to fail! One thing I have read is his comments about picking a "big" team to compete with Tamworth, one thing I remember from one of his first interviews was that he was not going to worry about the opposition and let them worry about us. So this comment does disappoint me slightly. I'm also sure the Sod detractors would of jumped on this comment! With mentions of worrying about a conference team etc etc.

Hows your mate at Yeovil these days

I find it hard that SC hasn't watched any DVDs of previous games, in fact it would disappoint me if he didn't. You can learn only so much about players on the training ground. How people react to going a goal down, how people perform away from home etc. I've read many times of top managers spending hours scouring over recent games. I can fully understand he wants to start with a clean slate, but failing to prepare, is preparing to fail! One thing I have read is his comments about picking a "big" team to compete with Tamworth, one thing I remember from one of his first interviews was that he was not going to worry about the opposition and let them worry about us. So this comment does disappoint me slightly. I'm also sure the Sod detractors would of jumped on this comment! With mentions of worrying about a conference team etc etc.

Not really, SOD, DMC and Millen concentrated far too much on the opposition and all of them tinkered with selections and tactics just to counter the opponents IMO that is not attempting to win games it's trying not to lose and it just didn't work, find a system that works stick to it and let the opposition worry about us for a change.

So what's really happened is.

Two training sessions, Cotts has watched who's trying and who's not (in his opinion).

Pemberton is invited into the office for a cuppa, Cotts says, pick the team and give me a reason why you've picked each player.

Cotts listens, agrees with most if not all of it, and apart from forced changes makes at most 1 or 2 changes based on what he's seen for himself.

Then he earns his corn with the pre match talk, the half time talk and the bits when the game's in progress.

His plan, match them physically, work harder, use our superior technique, pace and fitness, keep the ball, take our chances.

Result

Bristol Rovers home in the next round!

Not really, SOD, DMC and Millen concentrated far too much on the opposition and all of them tinkered with selections and tactics just to counter the opponents IMO that is not attempting to win games it's trying not to lose and it just didn't work, find a system that works stick to it and let the opposition worry about us for a change.

This is what I was saying with regards "picking big players". Surely Tamworth should be worrying about us? Not the other way around? I'm all for being professional and doing your due diligence on the opposition, but that comment worries me. Especially as he stated he wanted us to zip the ball around! Although I accept that he has only had 3 days or so to get his point across. Maybe it's a case of just getting the job done and then back onto the training pitch Monday to work on his ideas?

So what's really happened is.

Two training sessions, Cotts has watched who's trying and who's not (in his opinion).

Pemberton is invited into the office for a cuppa, Cotts says, pick the team and give me a reason why you've picked each player.

Cotts listens, agrees with most if not all of it, and apart from forced changes makes at most 1 or 2 changes based on what he's seen for himself.

Then he earns his corn with the pre match talk, the half time talk and the bits when the game's in progress.

His plan, match them physically, work harder, use our superior technique, pace and fitness, keep the ball, take our chances.

Result

Bristol Rovers home in the next round!

NO, Crawley, at least we've beaten them......oh wait a sec !

He said in the EP that "Tamworth were a big physical team, that would look to get the ball into the box early.. We have to look to deal with that before we can play our football"

People only see what they want to see... If SOD had said that he'd have been shot down... Now however it makes sense to consider the opposition blah blah blah

This is what I was saying with regards "picking big players". Surely Tamworth should be worrying about us? Not the other way around? I'm all for being professional and doing your due diligence on the opposition, but that comment worries me. Especially as he stated he wanted us to zip the ball around! Although I accept that he has only had 3 days or so to get his point across. Maybe it's a case of just getting the job done and then back onto the training pitch Monday to work on his ideas?

Mate there is a saying "football is an simple game' and it's pretty much true, when a sub comes on at pretty much any level now, he gets 5 minutes of verbal from the manager and then another 5 minutes from the coach and sometimes involving charts or iPads, please what the **** do they need to tell a professional footballer that needs up to 10 minutes and ******* visual aids, most footballers are dull and all most of them have done since 8 years old is kick a ball around, get silly haircuts and practice goal celebrations and they have the attention span of a goldfish, poor kid goes on with 10 minutes to go and the whole 10 minutes has been choreographed for him, IMO some coaches seem to need to over complicate the game beyond belief with young men who are incapable of disseminating all of that information, sometimes 'just go on and get us a goal' or 'go on take out their number 7' or 'go on and show that **** we paid all that money for how to defend' is all it takes. We are in league one FFS.

He said in the EP that "Tamworth were a big physical team, that would look to get the ball into the box early.. We have to look to deal with that before we can play our football"

People only see what they want to see... If SOD had said that he'd have been shot down... Now however it makes sense to consider the opposition blah blah blah

Agree, this is my point in my previous post. You do have to win the battle or right to play if you want. But picking your team based on the oppositions strengths is odd to me.

Cotterill has a reputation for being a hard worker, regularly going above and beyond. He would/should have seen DVDs of City playing.

Theres no real point. He will be watching a team influenced by SOD playing his way and he wont learn anything other than the players cant win under that football which we all know.

Start afresh and make your own judgements is the best thing to do. If he watches the dvds then baldock wouldnt get a look in from now on and Harewood would be a definate starter as his output per mins on pitch is pretty good with regards to shots, knock downs etc. By watching dvds you will only be influenced by a past set up which was no good. And if your strong enough not to be influenced theb why watch em?

Theres no real point. He will be watching a team influenced by SOD playing his way and he wont learn anything other than the players cant win under that football which we all know.

Start afresh and make your own judgements is the best thing to do. If he watches the dvds then baldock wouldnt get a look in from now on and Harewood would be a definate starter as his output per mins on pitch is pretty good with regards to shots, knock downs etc. By watching dvds you will only be influenced by a past set up which was no good. And if your strong enough not to be influenced theb why watch em?

But you would start to notice peoples individual strengths and weaknesses in a match situation, rather than in a non important training match. As you said, Baldock would not suit this style or that. So you have gained more knowledge about this player, especially as time is against you before your next match.

But you would start to notice peoples individual strengths and weaknesses in a match situation, rather than in a non important training match. As you said, Baldock would not suit this style or that. So you have gained more knowledge about this player, especially as time is against you before your next match.

I can see your point but weve been dog mess all yr. By watching dvds all your going to do is concentrate on the bad. Everyone starts afresh by not watching them and then you can now concentrate on the good stuff the players do.

The flip side of this is that if jet mopes around in training then SC wouldnt have seen his idividual brilliance which has seen him play a part in a third of our goals. But again that could cloud his judgement and make him feel that he needs to build a brand new system hes not akin to around jet. Thus taking his eye off the goal of no pussy footing around and get points on the board no matter what

• Admin

I think it's slightly naive to completely ignore who we are playing when selecting our XI. There's 2 ways of picking a team based on the opposition, the way we seem to have done it in recent years by picking a team to negate an opponent's strengths or picking a team to take advantage of a team's weaknesses. I would hope we always aim to do the second even if we occasionally pay attention to the first.

Archived