IGNORED

Hull Formally Apply To Fa To Become Hull Tigers

Oxford Red

Oh good, another drone.

In the real world, people don't make public statements likely to upset the very people they rely on.

You would have thought a man who has done so well out of the game would have some empathy to supporters and club tradition. Obviously not.

I thought for a minute you had agreed with me as Steve Bruce relys on the owner to pay his wages.

Steve Bruce has done very well out of the gane off the back of his talent as a top class footballer. Football is a fickle industry and we should know better than most. Hull fans will soon call Steve Bruce all the names under the sun and demand he is sacked as soon as results don't match their expectations so why should Steve Bruce or another manager not think about whats right for them and their families first. They may be well paid and in a job most of us would love to do buit deep down their priorities are no different to mine or yours.

If that opinion makes me a drone then so be it.

Why? It doesn't define the club, it doesn't define the fans, or all of the clubs make up. To get into some sign and signifying stuff, it could be called Orange and Black Bengal Tigers, and the things that would make up the club  would still be the same just the name would be different..

If the name does not define the club, as you suggest, then what does?

The name of a club is the one thing that has remained, unchanged, for the longest time in pro football. Thus providing the strongest, the most basic form of identity. Identity is a basic human need, individually and collectively. Other than changing location ( and this has already happened) this is just about the last thing left to tamper with. Players change, owners/ directors change, supporters even, grounds, kits, everything. So your identity will be wrapped around something concrete, something set in stone, something you expect to be left alone. Even by wealthy, autocratic owners. They might be generous with their money, but there has been an unspoken agreement that some things are sacrosanct. Not many. The colour of the kit was one, only rarely flouted. The name of the club another.

So, your answer, Ralph, to why, is: the name of the club is just about the last remaining constant in football, the simplest form of identity. Identity is fundamental to humans, individually and collectively. Hence, change to the last remaining fundamental element of identity to the club that is/ was (Tiswas) Hull City=hoo ha. For the majority of people. But not for you, Ralph.

The name is important to lots of people (cue Ralph's response, "no it isn't" and round we go again...)

What do you mean, only the name will change !  What's 'afaik' by the way ? 

Regarding cricket teams changing names, notice this was only for the bastardised one day format, for the County Championship purest form of the game no clubs have re-named, sorry, re-branded.

This isn't for Ralphie, so don't tell him, but, he's talking tosh above. The name isn't part of the identity or any relevance to the identity of a club? Okay, let's tell Liverpool, or Glasgow Celtic, or Tottenham Hotspurs, or Millwall, or Hellas Verona, or Genoa, or Athletic Bilbao, or Dortmund or Bayern Munchen, or Sheffield Wednesday (!!! Hey, Sheff Weds, I'm changing you're name to Sheffield Monday, or Sheffield February, or Sheffield Owls. But it's okay, Ralph down in Bristol says it's nothing, othing special being called Wednesday. Nothing to get worked up about) or whoever, change your name, Ralph says it is irrelevant! Think some of them might disagree.

Yes, players are part of it, but players change, and not everyone saw Fatty Wedlock, Atyeo, Galley, Gow, Ritchie or Gus Caesar. And not everyone agrees who was good or great, or the greatest, or crap, or whatever. So the name binds us all together, regardless, we are all bound together across the decades, linked to this city, this area, !!! Ffs! The name is the one constant in a world of change. Aaarrgghh!! Why ask why, then roll out an answer diasgreeing with the response to your why??!!! And why have I done all this when Ralph will only pick it all to bloody pieces again?!!

Merry Christmas, Ralph. Or, Merry Winter Festival. It's all the same, and I don't want to offend anyone (not Ralph, .....)

Archived