IGNORED

Are The Players Good Enough.

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

I was working today, so cannot comment on the game from anything other than radio commentary and posts on here, but are all the posts ( and there are quite a few ) already condeming SC to City's room 101 of Managers, fair?

The players either have to shoulder a big percentage of the blame for our dire and perilous position, or the Managers who signed them have to, because either they just aren't good enough for this division, or they aren't playing to their potential for some reason - so which is it?

My personal opinion is that once again, as has been common place for quite a few years at AG, we have a dearth of on pitch and in dressing room leaders, characters who have the respect of their team mates, can inspire and cajole, I think the last one we had was Bradley Orr. He also split opinion, but IMHO he has never been replaced and was a critical part of the team.

It's time for the players to stand up and show some spirit for the battle, for battle it is now, if they cannot do this, we are joining the sags, thats if they can keep league status, what a shit situation for football in Bristol.

I think we have a group of players most tinpot clubs in this league would snap your hands off for, they are just played in the wrong formations and positions that doesn't suit them. What we are lacking is a big pair of cahoonas, someone to strike fear into the opposition, at the moment we are just too 'nice'. We have someone in midfield who looks like he should be running from orcs in mordor, and a crocked Jamaican 'international' who lost his legs the best part of 3 seasons ago- and those are just two of our problems!

First half it looked like our players didn't have a clue what they were supposed to be doing, our midfield was totally invisible.

Their first goal was down to our player (think it was Moloney), getting bullied off the ball by a 4 ft midget.

Their 2nd goal was down to Wagstaff (Pringle was his man to mark) or another of our invisible midfield not closing their scorer him down on the edge of our box.

2 very poor goals to give away.

Also, many of our players cannot even do the basics like trapping/controlling a football or passing it to a red shirt.

A one word answer to your question is "no". Cotts has inherited a group of players who, as a whole, will get City relegated. There are some good players but they are outnumbered by the no-hopers. SoD has to take a lot if blame for this. There is a lot of talk about the financial restrictions and "sack the board" but the reality is SoD was given a lot of money, by league 1 standards, to bring in players.

The result - a relegation team

Again it boils down to not having a real leader on the pitch. I think the players are willing and have the talent but have lost direction and belief. Bobby Reid and Wes Burns added a spark when they came on, but they need stronger professionals around them before they too get dragged into the mindset we have.

We need to find the strong leader quickly. The defence looks weaker without Osborne. I also think we might as well sell Baldock, Taylor and Harewood ( if they still have any value) and find a different strikeforce completely.

Again it boils down to not having a real leader on the pitch. I think the players are willing and have the talent but have lost direction and belief. Bobby Reid and Wes Burns added a spark when they came on, but they need stronger professionals around them before they too get dragged into the mindset we have.

We need to find the strong leader quickly. The defence looks weaker without Osborne. I also think we might as well sell Baldock, Taylor and Harewood ( if they still have any value) and find a different strikeforce completely.

Totally agree about the strike force. Baldock is a good striker but wasted in this team. I think two more conventional centre forwards are needs as opposed to a striker and a number 10.

I look at burnley, Ings and Vokes . Great double act, when was the last time had an exciting strike force?

I would say not, but also think that some fans expectations are way too high. Fact is we are not a big club and certainly dont have a squad that is capable of playing well in this Division - god, maybe i should go to bed now and wake up tomorrow feeling more positive

We are in this division, we have the fourth average highest attendance behind wolves, sheff u and Bradford even though we are bottom! Fans have been very patient, but we have every right to expect to at least be competitive against some of the minnows we are playing against.

We are in this division, we have the fourth average highest attendance behind wolves, sheff u and Bradford even though we are bottom! Fans have been very patient, but we have every right to expect to at least be competitive against some of the minnows we are playing against.

But we're not on the pitch where it matters.

Robbie Turner + Bob Taylor.

Oh yeah, Jackie J and Andy Cole weren't bad!

Totally agree about the strike force. Baldock is a good striker but wasted in this team. I think two more conventional centre forwards are needs as opposed to a striker and a number 10.

I look at burnley, Ings and Vokes . Great double act, when was the last time had an exciting strike force?

No, they aren't.

We are weak at the back and lack a bit of grit in midfield.

If this isn't addressed in January we'll go down again.

Spot on. The second goal we conceded is an age old problem. No tackles in midfield and a defence that just backs off. We need 2 nasty bastards, 1 in midfield and 1 at the back.

We are as soft a side as I have seen for  40 years.

That is Mr ODriscolls legacy.

In the main, yes they have more than enough ability.

There are one or two that look suspect (Flint comes to mind), but the main problem by far is that they have no confidence.

The selection today was also fairly dodgy, a midfield with no width, nor ability to pass and retain the ball, but the confidence was the bigger problem.

The team looked to have gone backwards mentally since Orient.

I would say not, but also think that some fans expectations are way too high. Fact is we are not a big club and certainly dont have a squad that is capable of playing well in this Division - god, maybe i should go to bed now and wake up tomorrow feeling more positive

Is there any team in this division that doesn't think they'll win a home game? 

I think individually the player are ok, as a team however they are poor. I think even in the whole week and a half that SC has had to study the squad, he would have picked up on a few things and will be making signings, journey men? Has beens? who knows but I think a ball winner would be high on the list.

I was chatting about this today. I would love on honest assessment from sean odriscol on how good tbe players are.

Did steve Cotterell turn and think they aren't that bad, or did he turn up and think god these players are poor.

I was looking at Rotherham and despite what some have said, they were shit. We are just so so bad.

Spot on. The second goal we conceded is an age old problem. No tackles in midfield and a defence that just backs off. We need 2 nasty bastards, 1 in midfield and 1 at the back.

We are as soft a side as I have seen for  40 years.

That is Mr ODriscolls legacy.

I agree.  I think Elliot's time is up.  I don't want to single him out, but for an international and experienced Championship player he wasn't good enough today.

I also think Flint's days are numbered.  He so prone to wandering all over the pitch.

And then there's Baldock.  Should be good, but today, again, showed is conversion rate just isn't good enough. For every good effort on goal he makes a crap one.

In short we need a new spine!

I agree.  I think Elliot's time is up.  I don't want to single him out, but for an international and experienced Championship player he wasn't good enough today.

I also think Flint's days are numbered.  He so prone to wandering all over the pitch.

And then there's Baldock.  Should be good, but today, again, showed is conversion rate just isn't good enough. For every good effort on goal he makes a crap one.

I said exactly the same at the match today. A CH, a CM who's not afraid to put a foot in and a CF who can knock people about.

I'll probably get labelled a dinosaur, but it's the only thing that will keep us out of Division 4.

In the main, yes they have more than enough ability.

There are one or two that look suspect (Flint comes to mind), but the main problem by far is that they have no confidence.

The selection today was also fairly dodgy, a midfield with no width, nor ability to pass and retain the ball, but the confidence was the bigger problem.

The team looked to have gone backwards mentally since Orient.

Even though our record is not brilliant the better performances seem to have been away from home where there's less negativity perhaps.

I haven't been impressed with Flint, I was happy when we signed him but he hasn't live up to the hype or hope. I thought we were getting a better, more accomplished player than I've seen. I think we paid a decent amount for him to ( don't want to dare find out how much) so is it wrong to have expectation of at least a half decent standard?

Harsh maybe to single him out, but I've always regarded the CB position to be a key position in a team. But he is no Sean Taylor, hell he is not even a Jamie McCoombe.

Even though our record is not brilliant the better performances seem to have been away from home where there's less negativity perhaps.

I think the low levels of confidence are often hampered further by the home crowd. You can see that from how we often seem to start a game ok, then go behind because of some idiocy, and all of a sudden the movement is gone and the lumping starts. We stop bringing the ball forward and nobody except JET wants it. Then towards the end when we've nothing to lose, we've written it off anyway, it perks up a bit. I can believe that away performances are better but haven't seen many this season.

elliot was past his sell-by date 2 years ago..a joke he is in the team or even here.Baldock will be fine alongside a bona fide number 9..ball winner in the middle badly needed..the clock is ticking..  

I think the low levels of confidence are often hampered further by the home crowd. You can see that from how we often seem to start a game ok, then go behind because of some idiocy, and all of a sudden the movement is gone and the lumping starts. We stop bringing the ball forward and nobody except JET wants it. Then towards the end when we've nothing to lose, we've written it off anyway, it perks up a bit. I can believe that away performances are better but haven't seen many this season.

It's like finding out you've got 6 months to live and deciding its high time you asked all the good looking girls out...

Archived