IGNORED

So Now We Know - It's Not The Manager

southvillekiddy

The problem is not the Manager, it's the gutless players who let us down today.

If they're not going to get it up on the first home game for that poor sod who has taken over, then when will they?

I'd keep Reid , Burns, Bryan, Williams, Wynter (where's he gone?) Parish and Kelly.

The rest can disappear for all the good they are.

JET will be gone in january, must be embarrassing for him.

I cannot believe that Cotterill (or any other Manager) would have told them to back off and back off and let them take a pot-shot for Rotherham's first goal. Parish must be screaming at what is happening. Flint is an expensive mistake. McCombe was limited but at this level he was a far better defender.

What happens to players when they come to us. Maybe Bristol is too great a comfort zone for a young man. Maybe they twig pretty quickly that the Club "structure" is confusing to put it politely, with a virtual Chairman, a Puppet and a Puppet-master. I suggest that this uncertainty spreads from top to bottom and what we get is what we saw today "I'm not that bothered about Bristol City's survival"

If that man can keep us up he will have my undying admitation. But the "Board (ha,ha)" will have to back him with serious resources. 

Agree with most of this although I'm struggling to think of one player who comes out of today with any credit.

They were all woeful today, they lacked the fundamental ability to tackle, pass or control the ball - an insult to the football profession.

They do not look like a group of individuals who are in the slightest bit concerned or bothered about relegation.

Agree with most of this although I'm struggling to think of one player who comes out of today with any credit.

They were all woeful today, they lacked the fundamental ability to tackle, pass or control the ball - an insult to the football profession.

They do not look like a group of individuals who are in the slightest bit concerned or bothered about relegation.

Reid and Burns, Williams also played well. 

If they're not going to get it up on the first home game for that poor sod who has taken over, then when will they?

I'd keep Reid , Burns, Bryan, Williams, Wynter (where's he gone?) Parish and Kelly.

I cannot believe that Cotterill (or any other Manager) would have told them to back off and back off and let them take a pot-shot for Rotherham's first goal. Parish must be screaming at what is happening. Flint is an expensive mistake. McCombe was limited but at this level he was a far better defender.

What happens to players when they come to us. Maybe Bristol is too great a comfort zone for a young man. Maybe they twig pretty quickly that the Club "structure" is confusing to put it politely, with a virtual Chairman, a Puppet and a Puppet-master. I suggest that this uncertainty spreads from top to bottom and what we get is what we saw today "I'm not that bothered about Bristol City's survival"

If that man can keep us up he will have my undying admitation. But the "Board (ha,ha)" will have to back him with serious resources.

JET is just as responsible as the rest of them. He looks like he can't be arsed half the time

Cheers red robbo, was discussing Jamie Mac with some fellow city fans tonight and suddenly he's become a rated player ,! btw what a goal r that was at d!onny! I was right behind it !

Remember the game the online wolves turned on Boom Boom?

Can't remember the opponent, but I can remember an overhit back pass. being fluffed by him, him taking two or three touches to control then getting robbed and a goal resulting.

He was slated - rightly so - but his good work elsewhere got sort of burried in a chorus of disapproval.

It's a tough job being a central defender: little glory/blamed for any goal (I've been one!) but McCombe was ferking solid.

Its the first league game lets not get too carried away. That said it is disappointing they were apparently not up for it under a new boss but therein, possibly, lies the entire issue; none of the players wanted SO'D to leave and Cotts has done nothing to help them get over that huge disappointment. Granted, they are supposed to be professionals and play for the badge and all that but if you are not motivated, and they are not machines, they will not win matches. If you change the manager every '5 minutes' and you totally throw away what they have been taught each time as is clearly apparent despite all of the nonsense we have been fed by this board then the display yesterday, for my money, is neither a surprise nor a one off.

Parish is part of the problem, should of done much better for their first goal.. Should of done much better at Prestons goal, Leyton Orients second goal will be on a Christmas dvd called goalkeeping clangers

Although the defence and Flint are clearly very poor I'm sure it doesn't help their confidence having a rookie error prone goalkeeper behind them

Thought it a little harsh when Flint was universally booed for hitting it long from the back at one point where he was the last man, had two rotherham players bearing down on him, and zero movement ahead of him.

Its the lack of movement we show both on and off the ball thst frustrates me.

Rotherham looked a good team because they pressed and counter attacked three times quicker than us. The game reminded me of flies buzzing round cows.

This is, and almost always has been, the major problem with this club. This is in part to do with Bristol simply not being a passionate football city and fans who, however much they complain on forums, are not inclined to protest en masse. Any manager who threatens to disturb this culture will find the players will force him out. While I would like SC to be ruthless I wouldn't give him much chance of surviving if he is. Nor do I see any likelihood of the culture changing in the long term given the weak Board.

Thought it a little harsh when Flint was universally booed for hitting it long from the back at one point where he was the last man, had two rotherham players bearing down on him, and zero movement ahead of him.

Its the lack of movement we show both on and off the ball thst frustrates me.

Rotherham looked a good team because they pressed and counter attacked three times quicker than us. The game reminded me of flies buzzing round cows.

The thing about that boo though is it worked. Flint didn't play another long ball until the last five minutes.

Fielding is in a sh*t position now though.

Last time i saw him was at swindon and he got berated by a set of fans for one error - which werent even that bad and you see plenty made by others -- yet got pretty much **** all credit for a very good point blank save made about 5 mins later.

He is in the fontaine, lee johnson kind of mould now. His confidence is affected by fans on his back and the fans are on his back at an error that parrish gets away with?

i dont know how he can come back now.

This is, and almost always has been, the major problem with this club. This is in part to do with Bristol simply not being a passionate football city and fans who, however much they complain on forums, are not inclined to protest en masse. Any manager who threatens to disturb this culture will find the players will force him out. While I would like SC to be ruthless I wouldn't give him much chance of surviving if he is. Nor do I see any likelihood of the culture changing in the long term given the weak Board.

Lot of truth in this. How about this as a revolutionary idea : The business geniuses on the Board and the major shareholder commission a proper study to find out what it would take to make Bristol City Football Club a success - we cannot go along with the current idea of just hoping that another Alan Dicks and another talented, committed group of players appear at our club by magic.

They find out how to make it work and make a genuine thought-through long term plan. Most importantly they then get out of the way of people who know about football.

Isn't this how you make 100s of millions of quids in business? They organise the stuff they are good at and pass on responsibility for football matters to experts.

Fielding is in a sh*t position now though.

Last time i saw him was at swindon and he got berated by a set of fans for one error - which werent even that bad and you see plenty made by others -- yet got pretty much **** all credit for a very good point blank save made about 5 mins later.

He is in the fontaine, lee johnson kind of mould now. His confidence is affected by fans on his back and the fans are on his back at an error that parrish gets away with?

i dont know how he can come back now.

I agree that some players such as Fielding seem over sensitive to criticism from the fans. Fielding's body language tells us this. SOD gave him a long run but he couldn't regain his form. but surely it's part of being a professional sportsman that you train yourself in how to manage such situations. If you cannot learn this then maybe you are in the wrong job?

A decent manager should be able to get a performance out of his new team.

Especially at home, against Rotherham...

Blaming the players is too convenient, I believe they are truly gutted about losing SOD and not emotionally mature enough accept it.

I can't see SC as the type of manager to mentor and develop a squad lacking confidence.

If his shouting, sabre rattling 'bring your dinner' style of management fails in his first competitive game where does he go from there?

I agree that some players such as Fielding seem over sensitive to criticism from the fans. Fielding's body language tells us this. SOD gave him a long run but he couldn't regain his form. but surely it's part of being a professional sportsman that you train yourself in how to manage such situations. If you cannot learn this then maybe you are in the wrong job?

you'd have to think though that we as fans can do a bit better and give him more of a chance?

compare how his errors are received by the crowd v say Joe Bryan or Bobby Reid.

We give them a lot of chance -- and i think we should -- but others get a lot less chance.

Blaming the players is too convenient, I believe they are truly gutted about losing SOD and not emotionally mature enough accept it.

I can't see SC as the type of manager to mentor and develop a squad lacking confidence.

If his shouting, sabre rattling 'bring your dinner' style of management fails in his first competitive game where does he go from there?

Rotherham are one of the form teams in the league. This wasn't like losing to Sheffield United. Remind me, who was in charge for that fiasco? ;-)

If his shouting, sabre rattling 'bring your dinner' style of management fails in his first competitive game where does he go from there?

Well the last manager mostly failed in this regard and he signed most of them, the OP is correct and if you really believe the 2nd highlighted sentence, then the players are clearly in the wrong profession and that makes the OP even more correct.

you'd have to think though that we as fans can do a bit better and give him more of a chance?

compare how his errors are received by the crowd v say Joe Bryan or Bobby Reid.

We give them a lot of chance -- and i think we should -- but others get a lot less chance.

It's unfortunate for him. There's no real logic to how fans treat certain players. Look how long we went with a past his best England goalie being reluctant to admit his short-comings. Some of us thought early on "What is this bloke doing b***ocking our defence for his mistakes?" Took a long time for most to see that he was a major part of the problem.

Archived