IGNORED

Cotterill Yesterday

Tom Fleuriot

Just want to make a few comments about Cotterill's performance yesterday.

First half, he got badly, badly wrong.

He picked the wrong players in central midfield. As we were walking into the ground we were saying that Elliott and Gillett in the same team was about as defensive as you could be, but wouldn't work because they'd get in each other's way or not be sure about their role. I think this explains a lot of early Rotherham dominance - Marv and SG seemed completely lost.

Also, he gave the team poor instructions. There were two things that happened yesterday that did not happen under O'Driscoll. First, we seemed to want to hit it into the channels a lot as a speculative punt. People booed Flint for punting it long but this happened so often that I can only conclude it was on instructions. Second, the passes never seemed on. It looked to me like SC had instructed players to get further up the pitch when we win the ball, meaning that a lot of the time there was no option available.

Indeed, generally I'm surprised people are blaming the players. The first half looked like a team that didn't understand what was expected of them.

Second half, I thought the Shorey substitution was odd, but it seemed to work. The last thirty minutes we were all over them. The players also seemed to have a better understanding of what they were doing, and were a bit more intelligent in particular about being in the right places to pick up the headers from their defence.

All in all, first half left me depressed and thinking "dear God. 3.5 year contract" - it was easy to see that our failings were a direct result of atrocious manager decisions. Second half was one of our better thirty-minute performances, and if we play like that every week then I'll be a happy fan.

I'd have thought about twenty games will tell me which half reflects the real Steve Cotterill.

The players looked dejected throughout. They looked like they'd just lost a manager who they trusted in and he'd been replaced with a buffoon who is now going to rip it up and start again.

Everything they'd been working on this season now counts for nothing and we're back to square one as Cotterill will look to change things and rebuild by bringing players in in January. More uncertainty for the players.

I also noted that SC was very quiet in the first half just stood there making notes, so maybe he's not even the pointy shouty manager some thought we were getting. Though he did pipe up second half spending most of it pointing towards the Atyeo goal.

Under SOD I honestly thought we wouldn't get relegated but under this guy I think there's a good chance we'll go down. The next 3 games are big, we have to be looking at 7 points.

Different Manager.

Same mistakes in the team selection.

Intresting that he's said in a interview that he hasn't watch the tapes of previous games this season.....if he did he'd have known that yesterday's line up was a mistake before he even picked it

You're surprised we're blaming the players? we're bottom of League One in mid December mate..

But I'm talking about one match and whether the players are too blame for yesterday's atrocious first half performance.

Incidentally, unlike last season, I don't think that we're bottom this season because of the players' attitudes.

Nice to see a considered view on the game.

I largely agree with what you saw.  Given that the first half was SC's first 45 minutes of league football with the players, the team can't be expected to do particularly well, especially against a decent Rotherham side.  And without meaning to be rude to the players, I suspect League 1 players will take time to adapt to a new system.

What was interesting for me was that when SC had a chance to sit down with the players at half time, we improved and were much stronger in the second half.  This is a positive sign for me, and like the OP says, the second half performance was much improved.  Admittedly Rotherham were already 2-0 up so weren't pushing that hard, but I'm going to look at it from a positive perspective.

But now I'm in a pickle.  I decided at half time that I wouldn't be going to Notts Co. on Saturday.  But the end of the second half showed enough promise to make me think again...  

Just hope SC noticed the difference Reid and Burns made when they came on.  I'm not sure Burns is ready for a start, but Reid has to start Saturday for me.

The players looked dejected throughout. They looked like they'd just lost a manager who they trusted in and he'd been replaced with a buffoon who is now going to rip it up and start again.

Everything they'd been working on this season now counts for nothing and we're back to square one as Cotterill will look to change things and rebuild by bringing players in in January. More uncertainty for the players.

I also noted that SC was very quiet in the first half just stood there making notes, so maybe he's not even the pointy shouty manager some thought we were getting. Though he did pipe up second half spending most of it pointing towards the Atyeo goal.

Under SOD I honestly thought we wouldn't get relegated but under this guy I think there's a good chance we'll go down. The next 3 games are big, we have to be looking at 7 points.

its SOD that will get us relegated not SC

Well, it's not is it?

But anyway if you think SOD will be responsible and I think SC will be then I think we should both agree that in fact the guilty party is the board for appointing these men, yes?

SC won't start being the manager until this season has finished and he has shipped out all the SOD deadwood. Thought that's how it works, isn't it?

Nice to see a considered view on the game.

I largely agree with what you saw. Given that the first half was SC's first 45 minutes of league football with the players, the team can't be expected to do particularly well, especially against a decent Rotherham side. And without meaning to be rude to the players, I suspect League 1 players will take time to adapt to a new system.

What was interesting for me was that when SC had a chance to sit down with the players at half time, we improved and were much stronger in the second half. This is a positive sign for me, and like the OP says, the second half performance was much improved. Admittedly Rotherham were already 2-0 up so weren't pushing that hard, but I'm going to look at it from a positive perspective.

But now I'm in a pickle. I decided at half time that I wouldn't be going to Notts Co. on Saturday. But the end of the second half showed enough promise to make me think again...

Just hope SC noticed the difference Reid and Burns made when they came on. I'm not sure Burns is ready for a start, but Reid has to start Saturday for me.

I'm not sure I'd entirely agree that it was players adapting though. I think the instructions and setup changed second half. Gillett sat deeper, which made a pass available more often. The players changed their likelihood of hitting it long as well. I guess it may have been clarifications at half time, but looked more to me like a clear change.

Different Manager.

Intresting that he's said in a interview that he hasn't watch the tapes of previous games this season.....if he did he'd have known that yesterday's line up was a mistake before he even picked it

Quite. I'd like to think that I would have watched all our matches, worked out what each player is doing well, what they're doing poorly, and try to maximise the former. But then I'm not a manager.

I'm not sure I'd entirely agree that it was players adapting though. I think the instructions and setup changed second half. Gillett sat deeper, which made a pass available more often. The players changed their likelihood of hitting it long as well. I guess it may have been clarifications at half time, but looked more to me like a clear change.

Yeh, this is what I meant.  I'd like to think it was SC seeing the problems and making the required adjustments.  Reacting to the opposition and our players to get the best from them.

I noticed he was taking a lot of notes in the first half.  I think it's a decent enough start.  I'm ignoring the Tamworth game really, he didn't have much time with the team, it was strange opposition and a dodgy pitch.  So I reckon yesterday was his first real game and I think he did okay.  He reacted to the issues and improved the performance.

to be fair, we were playing the long ball from Flint a long time before SC arrived, I didn't see any more long wide balls yesterday than in the previous home games

the trouble at times yesterday seemed to me, when we tried to play we just weren't good enough on the ball, especially in first half.

to many poor touches and miss control.

Better second half some decent pressure, its going to be a long tough second half to the season

I also think we need two men up front

He picked the wrong players in central midfield. As we were walking into the ground we were saying that Elliott and Gillett in the same team was about as defensive as you could be, but wouldn't work because they'd get in each other's way or not be sure about their role. I think this explains a lot of early Rotherham dominance - Marv and SG seemed completely lost.

Also, he gave the team poor instructions. There were two things that happened yesterday that did not happen under O'Driscoll. First, we seemed to want to hit it into the channels a lot as a speculative punt. People booed Flint for punting it long but this happened so often that I can only conclude it was on instructions. Second, the passes never seemed on. It looked to me like SC had instructed players to get further up the pitch when we win the ball, meaning that a lot of the time there was no option available.

Indeed, generally I'm surprised people are blaming the players. The first half looked like a team that didn't understand what was expected of them.

Second half, I thought the Shorey substitution was odd, but it seemed to work. The last thirty minutes we were all over them. The players also seemed to have a better understanding of what they were doing, and were a bit more intelligent in particular about being in the right places to pick up the headers from their defence.

All in all, first half left me depressed and thinking "dear God. 3.5 year contract" - it was easy to see that our failings were a direct result of atrocious manager decisions. Second half was one of our better thirty-minute performances, and if we play like that every week then I'll be a happy fan.

I'd have thought about twenty games will tell me which half reflects the real Steve Cotterill.

The game was almost a carbon copy of the Leyton Orient game, excluding the result of course.

Positives 

• I did notice that there was some significant waiving around of arms from the manager in the second half 

Negatives

• certainly no improvement in team performance

Not sure

• unable to tell from the Atyeo whether the arm waiving was accompanied by sufficiently loud shouting, swearing, passion etc. - perhaps someone close could advise? 

to be fair, we were playing the long ball from Flint a long time before SC arrived, I didn't see any more long wide balls yesterday than in the previous home games

the trouble at times yesterday seemed to me, when we tried to play we just weren't good enough on the ball, especially in first half.

to many poor touches and miss control.

Better second half some decent pressure, its going to be a long tough second half to the season

I also think we need two men up front

It felt to me that there was a substantially higher proportion of long balls into the channels. Our kick off routine, for example, was identical every time and was not how we have kicked off this season.

Indeed, generally I'm surprised people are blaming the players. The first half looked like a team that didn't understand what was expected of them. .

Have to disagree Tom. The aimless punts and lack of midfield looking to receive passes was EXACTLY what we saw under SOD. In fact the first half we were virtually a carbon copy of an O'Driscoll formation. Only difference was that the punts from Flint were rapid rather than after 5 minutes of tippy-tap between the back 4. Even the Shorey as LM was a Sean idea.

The improvement we saw was Cotterill ditched his plan A within the hour; under Sean we'd have been labouring under it for 80 minutes.

Different Manager.

That comment is one that will end up being a source of ridicule for Cotterill if he's not careful.

Have to disagree Tom. The aimless punts and lack of midfield looking to receive passes was EXACTLY what we saw under SOD. In fact the first half we were virtually a carbon copy of an O'Driscoll formation. Only difference was that the punts from Flint were rapid rather than after 5 minutes of tippy-tap between the back 4. Even the Shorey as LM was a Sean idea.

The improvement we saw was Cotterill ditched his plan A within the hour; under Sean we'd have been labouring under it for 80 minutes.

Listening to his interview, it seemed to me that from the players perspective it was the same old/same old, they spent all week being coached and spoken to about what was expected and as soon as the whistle blew, they just played their own game, it took the half time team talk to provoke any response. SC alluded to it as did SOD on more than one occasion.

its SOD that will get us relegated not SC

I can see clearly now the rain has gone... who sang that? Carly Simon?.. anyway.. we've heard that one a few times before heh?

McInnes is blamed for SO'D taking us down, SO'D is blamed for Hoof taking us down so when he is inevitably sacked next season when we are languishing in or arounds 89th place of the Football League it'll be Cotts' fault when we fall through the trap door into the conference with Billy Davies in charge. For as sure as night follows day we will be following the Florist managerial trail yet again in the coming months.

Alice Through the Looking Glass it isn't so lets hope it is not the diametric opposite of something nice... and something nice would be? answers on a postcard to BBC Television Centre, Broadcasting House, London. W1A 4AA

Different Manager.

I think he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't with that.

I can understand wanting to focus on training and how people are playing and looking in the tactics he is working on the training ground.

I also noticed at Tamworth he talks a lot to Pemberton - which i imagine happens a lot behind the scenes as well - he might not have watched the dvd but he wouldn't be completely unaware - that what his assistant is there for.

Archived