IGNORED

Do We Need A More Vocal & Commanding Captain On The Pitch?

TNBT

I don't think there will be many who would disagree that we desperately need a leader on the pitch and have done so for a while. Infact I would be confident enough to say it would be a rare thing the forum would agree on.

No you don't have to have the armband to be a leader as has been mentioned but if you're the person who's been chosen to wear it then surely your voice needs to be 1 of if not the loudest on there making sure that all the squad is doing the task. I reckon the team need to be more vocal with each other to help organise which will hopefully help with the little mistakes which cost us points but as I've said I've not been able to attend to know if we're doing this, also think the team need to attack more & try going straight out to attack from the start as from what I've read we only seem to turn up for the game after half time which should be addressed as well, hope this happens at a very must win game against Notts County & our season can be turned around :-)

I agree you don't need to have the armband to be a leader and talker. We need leaders all over the pitch. However I think we are all aware we lack leadership and I'm not sure many fans would have had Baldock as captain.

Doesn't really set the example of a captain on the pitch for me. Off it, yes, he talks very well and conducts himself in the right way but it's all too easy to say the right things and then not act on them.

It probably doesn't help that regardless of service, of late Baldock has not been playing well. Missing chances also has a knock on effect on the rest of the team and due to the lack of leadership, it doesn't make things easy.

Three leaders in defence, midfield and up front are needed in the January window.

Truly pathetic that successive managers post Johnson have not seen this glaring deficiency. These are professional, highly paid so called managers who can't even identify basic issues. Frightening. Mind you they have got FA coaching badges. Just demonstrates to me how inept the men in blazers are.

If Cotts doesn't address this issue he'll be gone in 10 months as well.

We're a mentally and physically weak team. It took the club 10 years to spot that the Academy was a total waste of space, 5years and ticking on the fragility of the squad. Let's hope it's not 10 years to sort this problem out or we'll be in the Conference.

Pity some of us fans who've been identifying these sort of problems for years ain't on the Board. We'd have saved the Club millions and us fans the pain of the utter carp witnessed on the pitch over the last few seasons.

Three leaders in defence, midfield and up front are needed in the January window.

Truly pathetic that successive managers post Johnson have not seen this glaring deficiency. These are professional, highly paid so called managers who can't even identify basic issues. Frightening. Mind you they have got FA coaching badges. Just demonstrates to me how inept the men in blazers are.

We're a mentally and physically weak team. It took the club 10 years to spot that the Academy was a total waste of space, 5years and ticking on the fragility of the squad. Let's hope it's not 10 years to sort this problem out or we'll be in the Conference.

Pity some of us fans who've been identifying these sort of problems for years ain't on the Board. We'd have saved the Club millions and us fans the pain of the utter carp witnessed on the pitch over the last few seasons.

Agree with your first sentence. Until then, surely Carey has to be reintroduced to the starting line up?

The 11 captains cliche is all well and good but we have a squad of players that quite obviously don't have the experience of leading a side.

The armband should be given to a player who either:

- the squad trusts to make the right decisions on the pitch

- has the biggest mouth & commands respect from players

- can dictate the pace of the game/get's stuck in and raises the crowd

Leadership, trust and direction in general have been absent at crucial times this season

there is a glaring lack of leadership at the club and has been since carey stopped playing and orr departed the club,

Like him or loath him Lee Johnson use to bark orders out in midfield we had carey/orr orginising the back and we looked orginised, something we haven't done since Millen departed in all honesty,

Williams may well be a decent defender in a few years but we have little experiance in the back 4 and its crying out for somebody still after 5 years, Boom Boom hasn't been replace and for sucsessful managers not to identify this is criminal, and I agree with the comment if cotts fails to relise this then he is doomed to fail as well,

Commanding centre half, ball winning Centre midfieder and another striker is a must

It's all well & good saying you don't need a captain except for the toss etc but what happens when you got a bunch players that lack experience that are still learning to ply their trade do they already know everything to do already as I'm sure a captain does a bit more than just choose ends or at least should do or you end up the wrong end the table as only our position proves that if you don't have someone organising the team adequately you going lose straight simple I reckon.

In fairness, each of the last 3 managers have said that they've recognised lack of leadership as a problem.

It's one thing to say get a leader in, another to do it. I guess those are the players everyone is after and ther aren't too many Shaun Derry's in the world! Arguably we found one in Bikey and then couldn't afford to keep him.

Better still send them out in teams on the Royal Marine course and see who's got the mental and physical toughness to get themselves and lead their teams to the finish. Do it everyday until one rises to the surface.

I think we might have to wait some time before any of our current bunch manages to clear the first hurdle.

Gutted that my team is such a bunch of fairies. No pride, no passion.

If the players understand what is expected of them and a given clear, concise instruction by the manager is there really a need for shouting and arm waving?

The modern day captain should spend more time ensuring he is doing his best to influence the referee positively, ensuring players do not lose their nerve / temper and do something stupid.

I believe that people feel the need to shout when all other method's of communication fail.

When someone spends the whole game shouting it says more about their weakness as a communicator / motivator than their strengths.

If you listened to McInnes and SoD I think they probably explained in the finest possible detail what was expected of each player. They failed to make an impact and we continued our miserable spiral down the league.

I think a football pitch is a different environment to an office.

Part of the arm waving and shouting is trying to engender a sense of togetherness and belonging. .. we're this together and give your all sort of spirit. Such team spirit has been notable by its absence post Johnson, Carey and Orr.

Agree entirely! I think Baldock does his best but he is always isolated up front and it can be difficult to captain a team from there under any circumstances...

FYI Bradley Orr's emergency loan at Blackpool is up on Jan 2....Anyone think he might be interested in a half season loan here as Captain....And would it be a good idea?

And is he fit...I see he's only played twice!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Orr

I happen to agree that captaincy in football is something we in England place far too much importance on. It is nothing more than a symbol really and numerous national teams just award the captaincy to whoever has the most appearances in that squad. We can all list numerous inspirational captains that have a positive effect on their team, but everyone of them would play in the same manner regardless of whether there is a piece of material around their left arm. Although that still doesn't the change the fact that Baldock would be close to the last person in this or any other squad that I would make captain.

What is imperative in any squad however is that you have a few players who are winners and will lead from the front when times get tough. As we all know our squad has been desperately lacking in this type of personality since we lost players such as Orr, McCombe and McAllister and Louis became too old/injury prone. We have produced many aimless and gutless performances in this time and although many have and will instantly put this down to a lack of effort (of course certain players at certain times have no doubt been guilty of this) I think what really lack is any spirit or fight. If we had 3 or 4 players in our team that were able to really stand up and scrap this would automatically drag the rest with them. Over the course of the last few years we are exactly the type of team you would dream of playing against (and not just because we're not very good). I mean it shouldn't be possible to be as bad as we were last season without receiving a red card, but we managed it. Well done us.

Earlier in the season I felt we would have been getting many more points than we did if we had some experienced leaders in our squad. We were playing some good stuff in matches, but didn't have any backbone when under pressure ourselves and simply seemed clueless in how we would get results over the line. Latterly of course we just haven't been very good.

I saw the other day that Cotterill seems to have spotted this issue within our squad and now it is down to him whether he can bring in this type of player and character. My concern, and it is not specifically about Cotterill rather any new manager, is that he comes in and simply signs anyone that will come. You see plenty of new managers come in, say how badly they need new players, and then when they get the chance just sign a load of old dross that not only fails to improve the squad, but also manages to make the whole situation worse.

If he is able to bring in some experienced leaders and fighters then it will be exactly what the doctor ordered and will help our talented youngsters no end. If he doesn't then I can't help but feel we will be visiting the wonders of The Crown Ground, Bootham Crescent and Gigg Lane next season.

Agree with all that Bearded Red says (especially the bit about Baldock being about our 9th most likely captain).

So I'll just add up until recently I'd say Elliott was the nearest we had to a captain, but I can't say even with where we are in the league he is definitely worth a place any more.

Archived