IGNORED

Do We Need A More Vocal & Commanding Captain On The Pitch?

TNBT

I happen to agree that captaincy in football is something we in England place far too much importance on. It is nothing more than a symbol really and numerous national teams just award the captaincy to whoever has the most appearances in that squad. We can all list numerous inspirational captains that have a positive effect on their team, but everyone of them would play in the same manner regardless of whether there is a piece of material around their left arm. Although that still doesn't the change the fact that Baldock would be close to the last person in this or any other squad that I would make captain.

What is imperative in any squad however is that you have a few players who are winners and will lead from the front when times get tough. As we all know our squad has been desperately lacking in this type of personality since we lost players such as Orr, McCombe and McAllister and Louis became too old/injury prone. We have produced many aimless and gutless performances in this time and although many have and will instantly put this down to a lack of effort (of course certain players at certain times have no doubt been guilty of this) I think what really lack is any spirit or fight. If we had 3 or 4 players in our team that were able to really stand up and scrap this would automatically drag the rest with them. Over the course of the last few years we are exactly the type of team you would dream of playing against (and not just because we're not very good). I mean it shouldn't be possible to be as bad as we were last season without receiving a red card, but we managed it. Well done us.

Earlier in the season I felt we would have been getting many more points than we did if we had some experienced leaders in our squad. We were playing some good stuff in matches, but didn't have any backbone when under pressure ourselves and simply seemed clueless in how we would get results over the line. Latterly of course we just haven't been very good.

I saw the other day that Cotterill seems to have spotted this issue within our squad and now it is down to him whether he can bring in this type of player and character. My concern, and it is not specifically about Cotterill rather any new manager, is that he comes in and simply signs anyone that will come. You see plenty of new managers come in, say how badly they need new players, and then when they get the chance just sign a load of old dross that not only fails to improve the squad, but also manages to make the whole situation worse.

If he is able to bring in some experienced leaders and fighters then it will be exactly what the doctor ordered and will help our talented youngsters no end. If he doesn't then I can't help but feel we will be visiting the wonders of The Crown Ground, Bootham Crescent and Gigg Lane next season.

I disagree slightly with this, the captaincy is given to whoever has played the most games because supposedly they are most familiar with the style of play at the club but not necessarily built with a captains attitude or decision making. However i think hierarchy is important for any structure anywhere club or business because it brings the best out of individuals, and also creates a form of discipline which allows actions to be carried out in a more focused and informative sort of way. For instance if operations went wrong because of me the team leader, whose knowledge will fix things? the manager who will work with me to set things right. How would i rally the troops on the front line with no basis to work on. The captain's role should be exactly that.

• Admin

I'm amazed at those who think we don't need a on pitch leader (at least one), the difference players like Rob Newman, Gary Shelton, Brian Tinnion, Scott Murray, Bradley Orr, Basso, Shaun Taylor, McCoombe, etc etc made, is now even more obvious by the complete void in leadership.

Our most successful teams have comprised of half a dozen or more leaders, we haven't got one at the moment, that itself is a contributing factor to our league position. The failure of every Manager since Johnson to address this problem is a damining indictment of their recruitment policy.

I'm amazed at those who think we don't need a on pitch leader (at least one), the difference players like Rob Newman, Gary Shelton, Brian Tinnion, Scott Murray, Bradley Orr, Basso, Shaun Taylor, McCoombe, etc etc made, is now even more obvious by the complete void in leadership.

Our most successful teams have comprised of half a dozen or more leaders, we haven't got one at the moment, that itself is a contributing factor to our league position. The failure of every Manager since Johnson to address this problem is a damining indictment of their recruitment policy.

Yep me too it's been a big part of our problem, we have nobody to actually organise midfield or defence and nobody seems to want to take that responsibility, could help the youngsters in the team as well.

My bro came up with a great idea if we're drawing at half time they get a lime,

if we're losing a lemon & if we're winning they can have an orange might help the second half performances :-D

George Best, Stan Bowles and Frank Worthington used to have a couple of pints and they ended the game with MOM most of the time.

Absolutely, but when that happens they more or less take the law into their own hands. Hence the mistakes.

Archived