IGNORED

Gloucestershire Or Somerset?

cheshire_red

IF YOU AREN'T INTERESTED IN CRICKET OR EITHER COUNTY PLEASE DON'T POST A RESPONSE, THANKS.

I have been to a number of Gloucestershire finals over the last 30 years especially in the last 5 or so :Party27: :Party27: :Party27: .

Other than the Final a couple of years ago against Somerset I have spied very few City shirts in the crowd. Gas shirts galore, unfortunately (can't they wear a G.C.C.C. top).

So I have always assumed that it was rare to support City and GCCC, is this so, if you are a true Glos supporter please indicate below. If you are a true Somerset fan likewise.

Thanks, just interested to see the numbers.

I am a Gloucester fan, since the heady days of 1997, When Syd Lawrence was making his final appearances, We couldn't win for love nor money in the 1-day comps (Particularly the Sunday league!) And Courtney Walsh and Mike Smith used to be the best opening bowling partnership in the country in 4-day competition (We were good at that once...)

What a difference a few years makes... :clap:

I've been to a few Glos CCC games but was born in Somerset. I consider myself to be a Glos fan. Will try and get to a few Glos games next season when I'm back in the UK from Oz. Does anyone know if Jonty Rhodes is going to be playing for Glos again next year ?

Bearing in mind the proximity between the Glos CCC ground and The DarkSide's home it's not surprisng that more Gas than City support them.

Super Glos for me.

When I was at school I'm the 60s, my mates reckoned if you support City, then cricket has to be Somerset as they are south of the river.

To repeat an old complaint though, you come down the M4 or M5 and there are no signs directing visitors to Ashton Gate for the football, Mem for the rugby or Neville Road for the cricket.

Guest New Zealand Pete

Its got to be Glos for me, after all they are now the only cricket team to play in bristol, and they have far more charachter than somerset, Jack russell, mark alleyene etc.

I wish the best to both teams.

Just a little bit of radio history when Radio Bristol started in the 1970's it had to show a joint loyalty to Somerset and Gloster cricket clubs

When Gloster got its own local BBC station.

BBC Radio Bristol stayed loyal to both county clubs

With that in mind Glostershire cricket club get double coverage from two BBC local stations

When Somerset played their home games on the Imperial ground it was City + Somerset and Rovers + Glos traditionally.

When I was a lad :clap: (I'm 42 now) we were probably the 1st generation of "crossovers" in Bristol, because Somerset stopped playing in Bristol and Glos were more convenient to get to playing at Nevil Road.

My greatest non football day was watching Glos captained by Mike Proctor with a side containing Sadiq Mohammed and Zaheer Abbas, winning the clubs first one day trophy in the 70's. Actually the semi final against Hampshire contained one of the most exciting moments ever when Proctor took 4 wickets in 5 balls to turn the game on it's head.

I'm getting ######ly feelings thinking about it now!! :clap::clap::clap:

comes down to were in brizzle are you from, the old county bouderies are north of river, glos, south of river, somerset, as i was an hartcliffian its got to be somerset, i rekon whoever is doing the best people support them, i spose weve got 2 teams, me I'm only somerset and thats that

When Somerset played their home games on the Imperial ground it was City + Somerset and Rovers + Glos traditionally.

Quite right Hornbeamred6, City + Somerset, Rovers + Gloustershire. City fans who choose to watch Gloustershire know this and it pains them greatly, but it's true and there is no hiding the fact.

Apart from The Imperial Ground, Somerset also played some HOME games at Knowle Cricket Club.

By the way, "crossovers", ever heard of loyalty ?

Always been Glos for me - first game I can remember was the Gillette (?) Cup semi final against Lancashire at Old Trafford- went with Dad any Mike Proctor got runs and was steaming in but then darkness descended and Mr Hughes gave John Mortimer some frightful treatment and that was the end of that...... but like with City the highs have been high- Mike Proctor's 4 wickets in 4 balls against Hampshire- Jim Foat running out Tony Grieg at Lord's - those were the days when we sat on the grass- At Lord's nowadays you'd be arrested.

and then of course the recent triumphs with Boo Boo at the helm. Let's hope next season without Harv the boys can perform and maybe just maybe some International recognition may come there way- Jon Lewis has to get a chance soon surley , and Mark Alleyne must be have had some of the roughest treament by the selector's since Jack decided to hang up his gloves. While we contemplate one world cup win tomorrow we might have had another last year had he been behind the stumps,................. I could go on.

Funnily enough though alos enjoy seeing Somerset do well- unless its against Glos of course.

:Party27: :Party27:

Archived