IGNORED

The Great John Atyeo

southvillekiddy

The greatest ever City player according my late father and he watched City from 1950 until 2000! I have a collection of Atyeo memorabilia that I'm very proud of including programmes from significant games in his career - all his internationals for examples. Football cards, autograph, books etc. Never saw him play but Atyeo will always have a place in my heart due my father. Here's that goal again...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2820/u7z.gif

Here's John Atyeo's first game for England in 1955:

thanks for that was going to ask if anyone had any footage of Ateyo.

love hearing the stories even if it was well before my time. Must to a privilege for those who were around to see him play for both city and England.

Maybe one day we might be fortunate to have someone get even close to what he achieved.

on equal terms his record will never be beaten ........

much as Carey has done for us, how many of his games were as a sub ?

in the great mans day, games he played he started, thats a big difference ..

so yes i will applaud Carey when he beats the total, but it will not be the same achievement as JA

Only about 25/30 of Carey's appearances have been from the bench, which I thought was surprisingly low.

And if not for injury Paul Cheesley way well have been another great great Bristol City centre forward.

Sadly, we will never know.

Arsenal 0-1 Bristol City

People throw the word "tragedy" around carelessly, but that was one. He could and should have had a great England career.

The hero next door is great, and humbling also. We will never see anyone like that play for us again.

The header v Ireland is still well known in Irish football, it's called the atyeo silence, or something similar. In one of the games he played in a front five including Matthews, Finley, lofthouse and motensen I believe.

Hadn't heard the story before, so looked it up

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1411-radio-sports-commentary/1450-philip-greene/365144-international-soccer-ireland-v-england/

One of the greatest disappointments of his career was not getting a Directorship at City. He imagined that he would be greatly in demand for his footballing knowledge on the Board. He assumed that HD would smooth the way for this but HD made it clear that Atyeo would have to put in serious money, probably all of his Testimonial money and then some. Atyeo just wasn't prepared to do that.

Real shame, the legacy could have carried on :(

Obviously I had heard about the legendary John Atyeo, and was thrilled to meet him when he attended matches at Twerton Park - I think he was writing a Sunday newspaper column. He used to sit just in front of us in the Grandstand, and we shared our sweets with him, he was a true gent and very modest. He was shown great respect by everybody, and seemed almost embarrassed to be recognised, I doubt that we will see his like again.

England beat Ireland 5-1 earlier in the World Cup that year with Atyeo getting two;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvEduNmg6t0

He scored the third and fourth (I think thats him with the 4th anyway, could be mistaken) - that second header is a peach, taking out a few players in the process.

According to stats, Atyeo (No.8) got the third (the diving header), and the last minute goal, Tommy Taylor (Man Utd) got the other three.

The England side contained Stanley Matthews, Duncan Edwards, Tom Finney, Billy Wright, Johnny Haynes..shows that John was regarded as a player of that incredible standard. Sadly, Taylor, Duncan Edwards and Roger Byrne (who also played in that game) were victims of the Munich Air Crash less than a year later.

According to stats, Atyeo (No.8) got the third (the diving header), and the last minute goal, Tommy Taylor (Man Utd) got the other three.

The England side contained Stanley Matthews, Duncan Edwards, Tom Finney, Billy Wright, Johnny Haynes..shows that John was regarded as a player of that incredible standard. Sadly, Taylor, Duncan Edwards and Roger Byrne (who also played in that game) were victims of the Munich Air Crash less than a year later.

Irish goal also scored by a City player (Dermot Curtis)

Had the pleasure of watching Atyeo in in his last few seasons from 1963 alongside another favourite of mine Brian Clark, who incidently I saw score the winner for Cardiff against Real Madrid at Ninnian Park in 1971.

Whilst Louis is probably my favourite " modern day " player (remember him scoring the first of "many"!) goals at Swansea his upcoming record achievement will be no match for big John's.

Having said all that  - John Galley has still got to be my all time favourite!

on equal terms his record will never be beaten ........

much as Carey has done for us, how many of his games were as a sub ?

in the great mans day, games he played he started, thats a big difference ..

so yes i will applaud Carey when he beats the total,  but it will not be the same achievement as JA

It must also be remembered, that John retired earlier from the game to take up teaching.

Archived