IGNORED

No Liverpool Threads Lately....

Barrs Court Red

I'd say those who carry on 'supporting' these big teams on top of/alongside their local clubs aren't the real fans in football.

Strangely, that would be me. I moved out of Bristol when I was 11 and away from the West Country when I was 18. I am now 55 and have lived in the North West ever since and in Merseyside for the last 25 years.

So Liverpool are my 'local team' ( lived here more than twice as long as I lived in Bristol). Question, does this make me a 'plastic' Bristol City fan and, if so, am I unique?

Of course, I only follow City 'cos I am a Glory Hunter :laugh:

Strangely, that would be me. I moved out of Bristol when I was 11 and away from the West Country when I was 18. I am now 55 and have lived in the North West ever since and in Merseyside for the last 25 years.

So Liverpool are my 'local team' ( lived here more than twice as long as I lived in Bristol). Question, does this make me a 'plastic' Bristol City fan and, if so, am I unique?

Haha - no you're not!

I'm referring to those who ignore what's their local/home team, circumstances taken into consideration, of course :)

Most people grow out of the 'I support my home team and < enter some Premier League mainstay team>'

When I was a young lad, I liked/supported (or whatever) Chelsea. From when Hoddle were the manager. I then bored off it as I grew up, as per the norm. This was around the Ranieri period, when I was about 16.

I'd say those who carry on 'supporting' these big teams on top of/alongside their local clubs aren't the real fans in football.

City are my first team, no doubt about it but I like/support arsenal, but only because my family are from North London originally and my dad is an arsenal fan. But he has adopted city as well.

Having said that Iim only 18 so may grow out of supporting arsenal

City are my first team, no doubt about it but I like/support arsenal, but only because my family are from North London originally and my dad is an arsenal fan. But he has adopted city as well.

Having said that Iim only 18 so may grow out of supporting arsenal

Hilarious. That old chestnut! I suppose your uncle is Tony Adams aswell :facepalm:

I've got no time for people with two teams.

I don't have a second team. But I do understand why some people do. With the prem forced down our throats as much as it is and if you watch it often enough on tv then you may well begin to like one team more than another. Even if it is just during one game- For instance I wanted Liverpool to beat chelsea the other day but ask me how I want them to do today and I would laugh my ass off if hull won at anfield. (I think thats who they are playing?).

The worst is definitely people who follow clubs with zero connection at all. Just because your grandad's dog took a dump near Anfield once doesn't mean you have the excuse of not being miserable like the rest of us and following City. That being said, going to watch your local team is different. Since moving up here I've kind of followed Northampton as a 'second team'.

Hilarious. That old chestnut! I suppose your uncle is Tony Adams aswell :facepalm:

I've got no time for people with two teams.

What's wrong with someone supporting a team where their family's roots are? I was brought up to support them but I am a city fan first no matter what and if someone was to ask me who I support I will always say bristol city and I'll be the first to defend them when people take the piss, which many of the people at my sixth form do. If we were to play arsenal I would get tickets and want city to win no matter what the situation.

As you have no time with people with 2 teams I guess you won't like that I watched hallen most games one season when I couldn't afford to watch city and I now always keep an eye on how they do?

The only club I loosely follow is Sunderland but thats because I lived there for around a year and have family ties up there.

For the guy with north london connections why not follow Barnet?

Loads of people in North London follow a local team.

Man U!

The only club I loosely follow is Sunderland but thats because I lived there for around a year and have family ties up there.

Christ, so you support the two teams with the worst win/loss record in 2013??

How do you cope

The worst is definitely people who follow clubs with zero connection at all. Just because your grandad's dog took a dump near Anfield once doesn't mean you have the excuse of not being miserable like the rest of us and following City. That being said, going to watch your local team is different. Since moving up here I've kind of followed Northampton as a 'second team'.

Well I had better hand my 3 season tickets back to the club then, same for my old man who has supported since the early 70's. None of us have ever lived within 40 miles of Bristol. And there are other league clubs closer to us, I didn't realise you weren't allowed a free choice in these things.

Best of luck to the people of Bedminster supporting their league club, heres hoping the crowds get above 3000 in the new year.

Well I had better hand my 3 season tickets back to the club then, same for my old man who has supported since the early 70's. None of us have ever lived within 40 miles of Bristol. And there are other league clubs closer to us, I didn't realise you weren't allowed a free choice in these things.

Best of luck to the people of Bedminster supporting their league club, heres hoping the crowds get above 3000 in the new year.

Fair point but I was mainly talking about people who cling on to the tiniest connection to justify supporting one of the 'glory teams'. For example, there seem to be a lot of Liverpool and United fans around here. The main reason I'm guessing is that over the years they've seen their local team as being poor, therefore they've felt the need to support one of the big boys.

My dad's side of the family are all arsenal and I was brought up with that and brought up with a family of arsenal supporters, but i can see your point

Isn't it nice to see Everton, a club with an English chairman and fan of the club, doing so well.

Up at the top of the league with all these other "big" clubs with all their foreign money swilling about.

The real club of the people of Liverpool.

Long may it continue.

I like your post but were it not for Chelsea then Everton would not have Lukaku banging in the goals (Lukaku is a Chelsea player and on a season long loan at Everton).

Liverpool FC is bathed in glory anyway, to be a true glory hunter then you have to be Bristol City or a supporter of a similar underachieving club. Blimey, some of our elderly supporters have been hunting glory for years and have only seen a brief flash of it from 1976-1980.

I like your post but were it not for Chelsea then Everton would not have Lukaku banging in the goals (Lukaku is a Chelsea player and on a season long loan at Everton).

That's exactly my point though,clubs like Chelsea being in a position to loan out international players is obscene.

Chelsea would have loaned him to Everton in the belief that ( like West Brom having the same player on loan last season) Everton were no threat to Chelsea,well,at the moment they are!!

Everton are paupers compared to the likes of Chelsea,Liverpool and the Manchester clubs,hopefully they will stay the distance and stop one of these " big" clubs from getting in the Champions league.

That's exactly my point though,clubs like Chelsea being in a position to loan out international players is obscene.

Chelsea would have loaned him to Everton in the belief that ( like West Brom having the same player on loan last season) Everton were no threat to Chelsea,well,at the moment they are!!

Everton are paupers compared to the likes of Chelsea,Liverpool and the Manchester clubs,hopefully they will stay the distance and stop one of these " big" clubs from getting in the Champions league.

Everton is still a very big club and I believe they have amassed more top flight points than any other club. If I had my way then Lukaku would be on loan with us and leading our attack. :thumbsup:

Kompany (Man City), Lukaku and Hazard of Chelsea are all Belgian internationals - Belguim will do well in the coming World Cup with players like that.

I think, despite how it may appear, that we have a consensus. I shall attempt to summarise it thus:

1) you can really only SUPPORT one team

2) That team MUST have a strong, lifelong connection for you. For most people it is the town you have lived in all/most of, your life, for others ( exiles like me) it will be the team of your birth/youth. For many people, it will be the first team you ever saw (e.g Nick Horby -Arsenal ( see the book 'Fever Pitch' for details).

3). It is understandable to have a special interest in another team for good reasons ( e.g by means of longstanding exile to another part of the country (e.g myself, Northampton Red)

4) it is NOT OK to 'support' a team if...

You have no geographical or family connection to that team

The team you 'support' is invariably top flight/successful and there is no rational explanation why you chose that team other than they are successful

The last point I suspect, will be the clincher. If I came on here and said that, after all these years of living in this part of the world, I still was a City fan but "kinda liked" Preston or Wigan, I'd probably get no grief (although I'd probably get a lot of sympathy), if however, I sy my 'second tem' is Liverpool or Man U, then I am one to allegations of plasticity.

A final point, for me, the 'second' team is VERY secondary. I quite like Liverpool. When my nephew was a Liverpool mad kid I took him to Anfied a lot 'cos his Dad didn't like football. I grew to like Liverpool as a consequence. Many is the time I have been in Anfield when Liverpool score, I smile, I clap, I am GENUINELY pleased, I am, in that moment, to all intents and purposes, a Liverpool FAN. However,, at Carlisle, when JET knocked in his hat-trick goal, I jumped up and down, screamed at the top of my voice and hugged a complete stranger.

As they say up here, different gravy

I think, despite how it may appear, that we have a consensus. I shall attempt to summarise it thus:

1) you can really only SUPPORT one team

2) That team MUST have a strong, lifelong connection for you. For most people it is the town you have lived in all/most of, your life, for others ( exiles like me) it will be the team of your birth/youth. For many people, it will be the first team you ever saw (e.g Nick Horby -Arsenal ( see the book 'Fever Pitch' for details).

3). It is understandable to have a special interest in another team for good reasons ( e.g by means of longstanding exile to another part of the country (e.g myself, Northampton Red)

4) it is NOT OK to 'support' a team if...

You have no geographical or family connection to that team

The team you 'support' is invariably top flight/successful and there is no rational explanation why you chose that team other than they are successful

The last point I suspect, will be the clincher. If I came on here and said that, after all these years of living in this part of the world, I still was a City fan but "kinda liked" Preston or Wigan, I'd probably get no grief (although I'd probably get a lot of sympathy), if however, I sy my 'second tem' is Liverpool or Man U, then I am one to allegations of plasticity.

A final point, for me, the 'second' team is VERY secondary. I quite like Liverpool. When my nephew was a Liverpool mad kid I took him to Anfied a lot 'cos his Dad didn't like football. I grew to like Liverpool as a consequence. Many is the time I have been in Anfield when Liverpool score, I smile, I clap, I am GENUINELY pleased, I am, in that moment, to all intents and purposes, a Liverpool FAN. However,, at Carlisle, when JET knocked in his hat-trick goal, I jumped up and down, screamed at the top of my voice and hugged a complete stranger.

As they say up here, different gravy

That final point sums up how I feel with regards to arsenal, the feeling is nowhere near what I have for city

Archived