IGNORED

Striker Transfer Targets

Kingswoodactor

Good valid points above, but I think with Shorey, Kilkenny & Harewood off the wage bill it's probably free'd up somewhere close to 15K.

If we then sold Elliott, Wilson & JET this month which I think could be possible, we've probably knocked some 25-30K off the wage bill.

I would imagine JET is probably on 6-8K a week, and Baldock is reportedly 10-12K.

Ryan Taylor is probably on close to 5K a week as well.

I think people forget that a striker normally has the highest wages in football, and I would imagine 5K a week for a striker who can score goals is not a huge price to pay. I expect us to bring in certainly one 5-10K striker to replace Harewood, and imagine if JET goes we will look to bring in a prolific scorer who would again be 5-10K a week. 

Unless we get someone in on loan and their club pays most the wages, I imagine anyone brought in who will improve our forward line would command at least 5-10K a week.

I personally would rather see us offload Baldock for 500K-1M and look to bring in two strikers as a replacement, one Target man (Adebola type) and another young pacey striker who can hit the net . I would rather free up 10-12K a week from Baldock and bring in 2 players on 5K a week as replacements.

Good valid points above, but I think with Shorey, Kilkenny & Harewood off the wage bill it's probably free'd up somewhere close to 15K.

If we then sold Elliott, Wilson & JET this month which I think could be possible, we've probably knocked some 25-30K off the wage bill.

I would imagine JET is probably on 6-8K a week, and Baldock is reportedly 10-12K.

I think people forget that a striker normally has the highest wages in football, and I would imagine 5K a week for a striker who can score goals is not a huge price to pay. I expect us to bring in certainly one 5-10K striker to replace Harewood, and imagine if JET goes we will look to bring in a prolific scorer who would again be 5-10K a week. 

Unless we get someone in on loan and their club pays most the wages, I imagine anyone brought in who will improve our forward line would command at least 5-10K a week.

I personally would rather see us offload Baldock for 500K-1M and look to bring in two strikers as a replacement, one Target man (Adebola type) and another young pacey striker who can hit the net . I would rather free up 10-12K a week from Baldock and bring in 2 players on 5K a week as replacements.

This is all speculation; we've little idea as to the available funds.

And I think the idea that we'd put our on field captain, and second highest scorer up for sale, or that we'd get anything close to 500k under the circumstances (i.e. trying to push him out the door midway though a season) is pretty imaginative.  More likely we'd get that for JET, and I think selling him is madness.

We're in the top half of the league in terms of goals scored, and for the first time in years have two players on double figures at the midway point of the season.  We may need strengthening up top, but with (technically) 4 players for that position (Burns, Baldock, Taylor and JET) it isn't the first priority, even in attack; wide-men are.

Throwing money at problems has been a big mistake in the past, so I don't think throwing money at an area that isn't one is wise in our current circumstance.

The sort of money we're talking here is way above what I see us investing in the front line, considering we have two strikers in double figures.  Plus, Daly is settled in Scotland; a big part of his playing for Rangers is going to be life-style related (i.e. picking up a much bigger wage, but not having to move).  He also mentioned that playing in front of 40k+ each week was a big part of his move; we simply cannot offer that.  We've no chance there, for me.

What is REALLY scary is that I get the feeling we were FAR to casual about doing just that a few (or less) years ago.  I'd rather take chances on younger players with potential from lower down the leagues, or our own youngsters, than start going down this route, with a few exceptions of course.

Wasn't he from Villa though?  It is a short, short list of players we've picked up direct from the Scottish leagues who've made much of an impact here in the last 15 years (which for me is the period in which Scottish football has declined rapidly). 

McAllister and Paul Hartley are the only two I can think of (and both were free), but the likes of Clarkson and Foster have been average on their best days.  Kelly MIGHT prove an exception, but being that his only time spent here so far was to form part of a squad who got relegated, I'll hold off judgement till we see a bit more of him.

The Scottish lad at Derby?  He's starting games and has 5 in 15, I doubt he's available, or is this a different guy you're talking about?

Please, please no.  Next we'll be saying we should pick up Marlon King too.  Being part of the team is about more than just ability.

In a move that might look contradictory, considering my above comments, I was wondering peoples thoughts on us maybe looking at Exeter's Alan Gow?  More of a winger than a striker, and is over 30, but has only 6 months on his contract, is relatively local, is showing excellent form and is lower down the leagues, making us more of an attractive prospect.

Aye, struggling to get a starting place at Derby so i've read. Top goalscorer in the SPL for Dundee United before coming across the border. Definitely worth a look in.

Jet's wages are being part paid by Ipswich

Baldock took a 50% wage cut so will be on 4 - 6k not 10 - 12k

I wouldn't sell baldock and Jet in a million years at the moment any relegation threatened side who sell 2 strikers that have 22 league goals between them in half a season deserve to go down,

Keep Baldock and Jet til the end of the season get rid of the forever injured carthorse Taylor and bring in 1 striker on loan as cover and give Burns some more playing time on the right wing/up front

Some of the names being quotes here are unbelievable. Jonny Russel, are you having a laugh? he must be on five figures a week and would cost around the million mark. He's scoring goals in the Championship...for Derby...who are in the race for promotion!!! Get it together people.

With regards to who we bring in it's most likely going to be loanees or people that we can get for free or next to nothing - basically those deemed surplus to requirements elsewhere. We won't be signing young lads who are banging in goals for fun nor will we be signing established players. We don't have the money for that and still won't be rid of big-hitters such as Kilkenny and Pearson until the summer.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11696/9086717/transfer-news-sheffield-united-keen-on-derby-striker-johnny-russell

And yet he's linked with Sheffield United, which aren't a million miles away from our own situation.

Your way over estimating the wages of league 1 players, and most who stayed with us after the relegation took a 50% wage cut

kilkenny left this morning

Did he? How do you know that Monkeh I've seen nothing on it? 

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11696/9086717/transfer-news-sheffield-united-keen-on-derby-striker-johnny-russell

And yet he's linked with Sheffield United, which aren't a million miles away from our own situation.

Hang so because he's been linked with another team that's struggling in our league, that means that everyone struggling has a chance does it? For a start Clough signed him and secondly it doesn't matter whether or not Sheffield United are in for him, we're not going to be beating off others to pay his wages are we?

Your way over estimating the wages of league 1 players, and most who stayed with us after the relegation took a 50% wage cut

Baldock aside I'd agree it's hard to speculate what our strikers earn but how do you know they took a 50% wage cut? The stipulated cut could've been a lot less than that for all we know...unless of course, you do know. 

Did he? How do you know that Monkeh I've seen nothing on it? 

Hang so because he's been linked with another team that's struggling in our league, that means that everyone struggling has a chance does it? For a start Clough signed him and secondly it doesn't matter whether or not Sheffield United are in for him, we're not going to be beating off others to pay his wages are we?

Tweeted by preston that his loan move has turned into a perminant move also on our website when he left that he'd played his last game at city and that we had come to a deal over the remaining time on his contract

Baldock aside I'd agree it's hard to speculate what our strikers earn but how do you know they took a 50% wage cut? The stipulated cut could've been a lot less than that for all we know...unless of course, you do know. 

The board told us that they had the clause inserted inot their contracts much like the pay raises when they won promotion under johnson,

Its pretty standard for clubs outside the top flight these days

It was definitely written into one of the players who left in the summer's contract. I have no reason to believe it wasn't written into others. The player concerned spent most of the season negotiating and looking for a move, even before relegation was obvious. The 50% cut was immovable.

Tweeted by preston that his loan move has turned into a perminant move also on our website when he left that he'd played his last game at city and that we had come to a deal over the remaining time on his contract

Yes it's obvious he won't be playing for us again but he's contracted to us until the summer. Even if he does go to Preston for the remainder of the season, be it permanent or not he is unlikely to wave the rest of his salary until them, considering the big bucks we all know he is earning. As far as I'm aware he is still officially a Bristol City player.

The board told us that they had the clause inserted inot their contracts much like the pay raises when they won promotion under johnson,

Its pretty standard for clubs outside the top flight these days

Yes of course they had a stipulation and I'm not doubting their wages took a cut but where on earth has 50% come from?! That seems like a huge cut and I'd be surprised if it were that big. My point is it's all speculation, we don't know the cut Baldock and others took. 

It was definitely written into one of the players who left in the summer's contract. I have no reason to believe it wasn't written into others. The player concerned spent most of the season negotiating and looking for a move, even before relegation was obvious. The 50% cut was immovable.

I suppose you can't say who? Fair enough if that is the case, it doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone though. People were signed at different times and on different wages and at different estimated worths to the team, all these could be factors in how big that figure is in each specific contract. 

Yes it's obvious he won't be playing for us again but he's contracted to us until the summer. Even if he does go to Preston for the remainder of the season, be it permanent or not he is unlikely to wave the rest of his salary until them, considering the big bucks we all know he is earning. As far as I'm aware he is still officially a Bristol City player.

Yes of course they had a stipulation and I'm not doubting their wages took a cut but where on earth has 50% come from?! That seems like a huge cut and I'd be surprised if it were that big. My point is it's all speculation, we don't know the cut Baldock and others took. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24939335

And head coach Sean O'Driscoll has confirmed Kilkenny's contract will be "compromised" so he can leave Ashton Gate in the new year.

"We're trying to get Neil's career back on track and I'm delighted he's got this opportunity," added the City boss.

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/national-football/pne-hoping-to-seal-deal-for-kilkenny-1-6314019

Preston North End are looking to strike a deal to sign midfielder Neil Kilkenny on a full-time basis next month.

The Australia international is on loan at Deepdale from Bristol City until January 4.

He has already come to an agreement with the Robins to terminate his contract, and that will allow North End to negotiate a permanent move with him at the end of the loan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24939335

And head coach Sean O'Driscoll has confirmed Kilkenny's contract will be "compromised" so he can leave Ashton Gate in the new year.

"We're trying to get Neil's career back on track and I'm delighted he's got this opportunity," added the City boss.

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/national-football/pne-hoping-to-seal-deal-for-kilkenny-1-6314019

Preston North End are looking to strike a deal to sign midfielder Neil Kilkenny on a full-time basis next month.

The Australia international is on loan at Deepdale from Bristol City until January 4.

He has already come to an agreement with the Robins to terminate his contract, and that will allow North End to negotiate a permanent move with him at the end of the loan.

Cheers for that I hadn't seen the second link before. Good that he's finally off the books but as the article says "he will be paid up by Bristol City". 

Cheers for that I hadn't seen the second link before. Good that he's finally off the books but as the article says "he will be paid up by Bristol City". 

There was a rumour (no here I believe; not sure of source) that he was forsaking his 'pay off' in order to get his registration released early, allowing him to move, but nothing about it officially.

To be fair, he'd deserve some credit if that was the case, but it is speculation till confirmed.

I suppose you can't say who? Fair enough if that is the case, it doesn't mean it will be the same for everyone though. People were signed at different times and on different wages and at different estimated worths to the team, all these could be factors in how big that figure is in each specific contract.

I'd better not, for now. I just understood that the 50% was set in stone across the board. The player certainly didn't think it was anything unusual within the squad, I don't think he would have signed if he thought he wasn't on par with other players contracts. They are very dependant on Agents to advise them.

Yes it sounds a lot, I'm not sure how much this player was earning, but say 50% of 12k is still 6 grand a week isn't it. They get a lot of bonuses thrown in as well, a bonus for being named as a sub and more if they get onto the pitch. Even at 50% they've not got it bad.

This is all speculation; we've little idea as to the available funds.

And I think the idea that we'd put our on field captain, and second highest scorer up for sale, or that we'd get anything close to 500k under the circumstances (i.e. trying to push him out the door midway though a season) is pretty imaginative.  More likely we'd get that for JET, and I think selling him is madness.

We're in the top half of the league in terms of goals scored, and for the first time in years have two players on double figures at the midway point of the season.  We may need strengthening up top, but with (technically) 4 players for that position (Burns, Baldock, Taylor and JET) it isn't the first priority, even in attack; wide-men are.

Throwing money at problems has been a big mistake in the past, so I don't think throwing money at an area that isn't one is wise in our current circumstance.

You are correct but another huge mistake was instigating a very intricate system of play, when actually we just needed a more attacking/fighting spirit to give us even a chance of avoiding last seasons relegation, especially as that system was aimed at a squad who were never in the main going to here this season and then signing a host of players incapable of playing to that intricate system.

You are correct but another huge mistake was instigating a very intricate system of play, when actually we just needed a more attacking/fighting spirit to give us even a chance of avoiding last seasons relegation, especially as that system was aimed at a squad who were never in the main going to here this season and then signing a host of players incapable of playing to that intricate system.

we do need wide players, wings/combative midfielder are at the top of my list

Maybe. but that wasn't the trust of my point, which is that if we as fans think we can take players off the likes of Rangers (regardless of their division in Scotland currently) or teams pushing for the Premier League, we are setting ourselves up for disappointment.

I wasn't passing comment on managers, more expectations when it comes to our business this transfer window.

Archived