IGNORED

City Vs Watford Match Thread

Robin 101

I thought Watford were a decent side.  Will not see anything better come to Aston gate this year.  Excellent game, good atmosphere.  City held their own and gave an excellent account of their self's.  The football from my point of view has become much better to watch. 

Unless we beat them and get drawn Liverpool at home in the 4th round. Then you will. :D 

How about this too: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11726/9102121/fa-cup-new-watford-boss-beppe-sannino-heaps-praise-on-bristol-city-after-draw

Sannino had no complaints and he said: "We have to give credit to Bristol City for playing a very good game and I believe a draw was a fair result.

"It is a negative for us that we could not hold an advantage gained so late in the game, but these things happen in football and I have to congratulate Bristol because they deserved to equalise.

"I knew that this competition produces some strange results and I am told there have been some today, so we were prepared for a tough game.

"The main positive for me is that although we were without some players we stuck to our game and were patient. I know we can play better, but we are on a tough schedule of games and I am looking forward to a free week to work with the players."

That was a great game today. We more than matched a very good Watford side.

I had my concerns about SC but I don't think anyone can doubt he has got us organised. All of a sudden we look solid and hard to break down. The absolute essentials for any team to be successful. I must admit we looked very fit against a lively Watford side and our work rate was superb. I genuinely hope this is not just a honeymoon period as such for SC as right now I am enjoying watching us play.

We still have a few things to brush up on of course. For ages we have  appeared pretty toothless when attacking set pieces and have not had any real aerial threat in either box to be honest. Now we do but our delivery is terrible. Not once did we swing in a decent ball today and without meaning to be too critical I think it's something that has to be worked on as a team as well as something Bobby Reid needs to work on.

Fair play to SC today. He went for it big time. None of this playing for a draw to rubbish and trying to get a pat on the back off everyone because we held a decent championship outfit and bravely earned a replay. He went for it big time bringing on Burns out wide for Wagstaff. What an inspired change that was and what a fantastic impact Wes made again. SC appears to be handling him very well and I am so pleased that he rates him. What positive and fearless play again from Burns to set up the goal. Absolutely superb and it's just great to see a young prospect taking his chance. I seem to be saying it every week now but I really rate the lad. Like SC said, I just don't understand why he hasn't had more of a look in before now.

All in all a great end to end cup tie. I thought every player worked so hard today and contributed. Marv was absolutely outstanding it has to be said.

Fair play to Fonts. Came in and did a job. Still a bag of nerves and shouldn't be considered as more than short term cover though I'm afraid. With hopefully the permanent addition of Osborne and a few others the squad will be shaping up nicely. I wouldn't want too many new signings though as I don't feel we need a great deal and don't want it to hold back youngster's for a chance. Possibly another winger and a striker to provide competition for Baldock but apart from that I think we are looking better. If we could get Gillett on a longer deal as well I would be happy but then it depends on how highly SC thinks of Jordan Wynter and how far off Liam Kelly is from making a return.

One little thing for me over the last few games that has started to annoy me is how often Reid will shoot from 30 odd yards having maybe just got a shot on target 1 in 9/10 shots when he has better options in front of him, hopefully he learns when is the best time to take a long shot on and when to pass off.

Interesting that the manager having a small dig at SOD by saying he couldn't understand why Burns hasn't been involved.

Admittedly can't remember them atm but remember thinking he's had a couple of digs at S.O'D in other interviews, maybe a bit bitter still that S.O'D was the man brought in after him at Forest?

One little thing for me over the last few games that has started to annoy me is how often Reid will shoot from 30 odd yards having maybe just got a shot on target 1 in 9/10 shots when he has better options in front of him, hopefully he learns when is the best time to take a long shot on and when to pass off.

As well as working on his long range shooting! I've never understood how a professional footballer can hit it so high over from 25 yards, its really not that difficult to shoot on target.

It's interesting that the Watford fans thought the game was even because they were poor and not us playing well, I thought we played pretty well today, they also said "Our team got roughed up by some bossing players like Marvin Elliott but didn't retaliate - Baldock led with an elbow into Almunias jaw first chance he had - Cassetti was crocked by three late tackles. " but I didn't notice any overly hard tackles. I did think that fabbrini looked for every opportunity to fall over but when he was on his feet he could be a handful

It's interesting that the Watford fans thought the game was even because they were poor and not us playing well, I thought we played pretty well today, they also said "Our team got roughed up by some bossing players like Marvin Elliott but didn't retaliate - Baldock led with an elbow into Almunias jaw first chance he had - Cassetti was crocked by three late tackles. " but I didn't notice any overly hard tackles. I did think that fabbrini looked for every opportunity to fall over but when he was on his feet he could be a handful

Bog standard response by most fans, including us, if we lose it is because we were shite, not the oppsition were good.. apatt from the odd ass kicking from the likes of donny.

I don't think any tackles were particularly hard, rather their players were very soft. One thing I don't miss about the championship is the amount of players who throw themselves to the floor which we got a reminder of today 2 or 3 blatant dives, some of the fouls were merely our players getting their body in between the player and the ball.

Enjoyed the game today draw was fair in the end what pleased me was that heads never dropped

when they scored and the response from us was instant which may not have happened under SOD

however I would like to add we have a decent record at Watford lost only 1 in 6 during our

time in the championship so I would'nt write us off in the replay

It's all them bloody foreigners and their lightweight 'let's hit the deck at the slightest touch' attitude that ruins English football. Watford is full of them. I'm glad we have a team full of British men who have a bit more steel and honesty in them

Yeah, right. And those English players like Ashley Young and Danny Welbeck etc never dive. It's all those Johnny Foreigners, coming over here, taking our jobs, falling over...

So am I wrong in saying the diving culture has been brought over by foreigners?

Tell me I'm wrong... I think many older members will agree that English football used to involve getting knocked over, getting up again and carrying on again. Only with the influence of dramatic foreign players has the culture of football changed and has spilt into the mindset of our wingers

Tell me I'm wrong... I think many older members will agree that English football used to involve getting knocked over, getting up again and carrying on again. Only with the influence of dramatic foreign players has the culture of football changed and has spilt into the mindset of our wingers

They did, but often this diving came in as a way of self preservation. People go on about how tough the British were in football. Well they had nothin on the south Americans... especially Uruguay. The defenders and midfielders there made you hunters and Gows of this world look like pusdy cats. It led to players diving before they got brutally taken out. There is no real need for it in todays sanitised game, but it is part if the culture from South America, where some shocking stuff still goes on

I am very much one of the older members of the forum and I think there is a touch of rose tinted spectacles here. The name Francis Lee comes to mind immediately. Our very own Chris Garland could do a pretty good mid-air pirouette as well.

If there was a watershed it was the 1966 World Cup for me. The West Germans are the first team I can remember who were notorious for diving, especially Haller. In that same competition we saw the cynicism of the Argentinians and Pele being kicked to death. But there was plenty of both kinds of behaviour in the English game, and the latter amounted to a lot more than being knocked over. It took decades before the dirty play was addressed and we still haven't dealt with diving.

It is somehow very English though that people get far more worked up by diving that by dirty play.

I am very much one of the older members of the forum and I think there is a touch of rose tinted spectacles here. The name Francis Lee comes to mind immediately. Our very own Chris Garland could do a pretty good mid-air pirouette as well.

If there was a watershed it was the 1966 World Cup for me. The West Germans are the first team I can remember who were notorious for diving, especially Haller. In that same competition we saw the cynicism of the Argentinians and Pele being kicked to death. But there was plenty of both kinds of behaviour in the English game, and the latter amounted to a lot more than being knocked over. It took decades before the dirty play was addressed and we still haven't dealt with diving.

It is somehow very English though that people get far more worked up by diving that by dirty play.

The biggest culprit (and he admitted it ) was Rodney Marsh, used to clip his own heels at pace !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVD5r5t5HeI: here are the highlights from yesterday's game. 

What an awful, one-sided, video. City almost clinch a 'curious winner'. Shocking. Really pees me off this bias in reporting when "bigger teams" face lower league opposition. 

I don't see much wrong with it, the curious referred to Burns' attempt on goal and it does look when he hits it as it did at the time that he was meaning to cross it

I don't see much wrong with it, the curious referred to Burns' attempt on goal and it does look when he hits it as it did at the time that he was meaning to cross it

I think what annoys me is the fact there's 1:55 of video, the first 1:35 show every Watford attack up to the 84th minute, then show our goal and 'curious effort'.

Bog standard response by most fans, including us, if we lose it is because we were shite, not the oppsition were good.. apatt from the odd ass kicking from the likes of donny.

The team that you played yesterday is unlikely to be the same that you will face at Watford they had no wing backs in the second half, both were midfielders. They could have as many as five changes depending on how serious they take it. It may be the debut for both Merkel and Ranegie both having just signed from Undinese

Archived