IGNORED

I Kinda Miss This

M_Porter

Yes so do I. Standing and getting soaking wet when it rained. Couldn't see a thing if a tall bloke stood in front of me because the terracing angle was too slight.

Now I stay dry and can actually see the match!

bc47.jpg

I used to be a steward in the Openend. Stood at the lower/left yellow gate in the center. Remember our 3rd round FA Cup tie against Chelsea when we beat them 3 - 1. The club gave the whole of the Openend to the Chelsea fans. Our first goal (Robbie Turner) i jumped & started celebrating & the Chelsea fans just stood & gave me evil looks. (I thought they were going to beat me to a pulp). Then we scored our 2nd. I just stood there  said "Unlucky guys you'll turn this around" then under my breath said "Not". by the time we scored our 3rd i was pitch side just behind Dave Beasant goal. Look on youtube & you will see me shouting some encouragement to Dave as he picks the ball from out of his net. Hahahahaha

Prefer it like that. If only we could go back.

Not likely to happen. Even Forest Green Rovers have got a more modern ground than City. You'll have to go down to e.g. Mangotsfield' s level to find grounds as run down as the old Ashton Gate.

The Gate was a great stadium as shown in the OP's picture, personally I think it looks better then, than it does now. The club have tried to shoehorn seats into shallow terraces over the years. In those days we had a proper 'home' end with a great atmosphere (although I was a Park/Open ender). Also remember when the (East End) corner of the enclosure was the place to be in the 80's.

I remember being like a sardine in the open end v Sheff Utd (Play Off game)..and when the dividing gates were left open v Cardiff!..and going mental up against the 'no mans land' fence v the Gas (Louie Donawa).

When/If the gate is revamped or AV happens, I think we will once again have a great stadium for the modern era.

The Gate was a great stadium as shown in the OP's picture, personally I think it looks better then, than it does now. The club have tried to shoehorn seats into shallow terraces over the years. In those days we had a proper 'home' end with a great atmosphere (although I was a Park/Open ender). Also remember when the (East End) corner of the enclosure was the place to be in the 80's.

I remember being like a sardine in the open end v Sheff Utd (Play Off game)..and when the dividing gates were left open v Cardiff!..and going mental up against the 'no mans land' fence v the Gas (Louie Donawa).

When/If the gate is revamped or AV happens, I think we will once again have a great stadium for the modern era.

I am so thankfull that my " finest hours " were the 70s and 80s, I really lived the life then , and I loved every moment. a special era to be early twenties and commited .

Not likely to happen. Even Forest Green Rovers have got a more modern ground than City. You'll have to go down to e.g. Mangotsfield' s level to find grounds as run down as the old Ashton Gate.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but my friend who came to his fist city game today ( regularly follows spurs, home, away & Europe) loved the facilities AG the gate today.

Yes, I was amazed aswell!

I'm not saying you are wrong, but my friend who came to his fist city game today ( regularly follows spurs, home, away & Europe) loved the facilities AG the gate today.

Yes, I was amazed aswell!

Amazing indeed. It might be because AG, although run down, has character. A lot of modern grounds have good facilities but are very clinical. It's a bit like pubs. A good old fashioned pub often feels better than a modern one. There's hope, if the rail seats are put in the right places, that the redeveloped AG might also have a bit of character

Im just about old enough to remember the gate that like! My First game was in 1990 and I stood just about where that picture was taken with my old man. I think it was a derby match against Rovers when they made that part and the east end all seated for the first time.

Its nice to look back, but if our ground was still like that we'd be even more out of touch than we already are!

The flood lights. Which club did they go to? I thought it was Wigan Athletic but my brother-in-law says it was Leyton Orient.

There was a debate on this on another thread within the last week or so, and although lots of teams were mentioned the general consensus seemed to be Wigan.

Cheers

Mark

Archived