IGNORED

Bristol Rugby

Port Said Red

An article I read in the Independent this morning said that Bristol Rugby would be ground sharing Ashton Gate next season, ensuring that they meet the ground criteria for the Premier League. I knew this was on the cards eventually, with the new stadium, but I didn't realise that this had been agreed.

Did I miss something?

An article I read in the Independent this morning said that Bristol Rugby would be ground sharing Ashton Gate next season, ensuring that they meet the ground criteria for the Premier League. I knew this was on the cards eventually, with the new stadium, but I didn't realise that this had been agreed.

Did I miss something?

Yes...they start next season as their current lease at the mem expires at the end of the season

How much do the ruggers pay Rovers? Another financial disaster for them.

heard it was about 70k a year ( have asked a man who should know and will update later if i find exact sum) but the extra up keep of the pitch/ground costs half of that so prob wont be as big a hit as many would think

Im cluless when it comes to rugby. 2 points. Are bristol now in the prem? And what are the minimal prem ground requirements? Surely even with our current outdated facilities there shouldnt be a problem?

No and probably won't be next season either.

heard it was about 70k a year ( have asked a man who should know and will update later if i find exact sum) but the extra up keep of the pitch/ground costs half of that so prob wont be as big a hit as many would think

I expected it to be much more than that.

Im cluless when it comes to rugby. 2 points. Are bristol now in the prem? And what are the minimal prem ground requirements? Surely even with our current outdated facilities there shouldnt be a problem?

They're top of the championship but finished top twice in the last 3 seasons. The crazy playoff system where the top 8 of a 12 team league are in the play offs is mad

1. No, they're still very much in the Championship despite coming top of the league twice since 2009. Play-offs in rugby are farcical!

2. It's something like a minimum of 10,000 capacity but around 4,000 seats. Rovers have 12,000 capacity but only 2,500 seats so would be ineligible. London Welsh couldn't stay at their own ground otherwise they wouldn't have been promoted hence their move to Oxford United as the Kassam holds 12,000 but has over 5,000 seats available.

• Admin

They're top of the championship but finished top twice in the last 3 seasons. The crazy playoff system where the top 8 of a 12 team league are in the play offs is mad

No, they're fourth at the moment.

Only top four get into the play offs this season.

Exactly mid way through their season.

Lost two more games than the side at the top, but are staying in touch with their massive "bonus points" tally.

London Welsh will be the team to beat

the rent was negotiated a few years ago to reduce it to off set the loss in off field revenue and is actually a lot less than 70k by all accounts which is was before the last deal was signed... the big loss will be the food and drink takings, as said the counter balance not payoing bar staff ect on rugby days and the considerable cost of ground and stadium maintance....not to mention the cost of re arranged games dur to pitch wear during bad weather... as you will see next season... im told Rovers are non plussed about losing the rugby club and the loss in revenue will be very low...

And dont forget that its not bristol citys ground next season you share it as part of the Bristol Sport Franchise!!  :P

(dont bite  ;) )

the rent was negotiated a few years ago to reduce it to off set the loss in off field revenue and is actually a lot less than 70k by all accounts which is was before the last deal was signed... the big loss will be the food and drink takings, as said the counter balance not payoing bar staff ect on rugby days and the considerable cost of ground and stadium maintance....not to mention the cost of re arranged games dur to pitch wear during bad weather... as you will see next season... im told Rovers are non plussed about losing the rugby club and the loss in revenue will be very low...

And dont forget that its not bristol citys ground next season you share it as part of the Bristol Sport Franchise!! :P

(dont bite ;) )

They went to a near melt down behind the scenes when it became apparent Bristol were off.

source: someone that was there.

So yeah, keep following what the Higgs regime tells you.

Lansdown's certainly using his money to good use here and there.

Peel and Perenise signed for next season for Bristol... that won't be cheap.

Osborne and Barnett for us. Busy week of signing cheques for Lansdown Snr!

He'll have to spend more than that to turn Bristol into a competitive side in the Premiership.

Why does n't Lansdown just buy the Gas And be done with it.

As i've said before they could keep their part of their name "Bristol" we keep our part "City" and we would be "Bristol City".

They keep the white part of their kit we keep the red.

Therefore we become Bristol City playing in red shirts and white shorts at Ashton Gate,job done !

Archived