IGNORED

Who Will Take The Most?

myol'man

I love the way Gasheads on Facebook are doing what Gasheads do best.

Earlier, their attendance tonight was about 2300, since then it's risen three times on my newsfeed...firstly 2600 then 2800 and the latest is 3100

By this time tomorrow the official figure will be up to about half a million.

I love the way Gasheads on Facebook are doing what Gasheads do best.

Earlier, their attendance tonight was about 2300, since then it's risen three times on my newsfeed...firstly 2600 then 2800 and the latest is 3100

By this time tomorrow the official figure will be up to about half a million.

I think the attendance figure increased because the initial one did not include the fans who had to wait outside for 25 minutes while the police and club officials sorted out opening yet another section of the ground so that they could be accommodated. They obviously hadn't gathered much information re. expected numbers, as the segregation netting had to be moved 3 times.

The figures for both teams reflect the size of the gap between them and their respective opposition - i.e. Birmingham was a bigger game for us, and God knows how long it will be before the next one comes along!

I think the attendance figure increased because the initial one did not include the fans who had to wait outside for 25 minutes while the police and club officials sorted out opening yet another section of the ground so that they could be accommodated. They obviously hadn't gathered much information re. expected numbers, as the segregation netting had to be moved 3 times.

The figures for both teams reflect the size of the gap between them and their respective opposition - i.e. Birmingham was a bigger game for us, and God knows how long it will be before the next one comes along!

Tbf to decent posters like yourself, the Gasheads I'm referring to havent got a clue how many you took this evening as they didnt go but they are clearly reading other people's opinions on the numbers and added a few hundred in an poor attempt to point score over our attendance. There is no point doing it as it ultimately proves nothing and most City fans would agree that 2000+ to any away match is a good following. For several reasons I'm not surprised that Rovers took more to Birmingham tonight than we did to Watford, that was always likely to be the case given the two clubs recent history.

I'm not sure how the attendance figures are counted at each game, I have to admit I thought that they were only completed once the turnstiles stopped letting people in, but like I say, I don't know.

Tbf to decent posters like yourself, the Gasheads I'm referring to havent got a clue how many you took this evening as they didnt go but they are clearly reading other people's opinions on the numbers and added a few hundred in an poor attempt to point score over our attendance. There is no point doing it as it ultimately proves nothing and most City fans would agree that 2000+ to any away match is a good following. For several reasons I'm not surprised that Rovers took more to Birmingham tonight than we did to Watford, that was always likely to be the case given the two clubs recent history.

I'm not sure how the attendance figures are counted at each game, I have to admit I thought that they were only completed once the turnstiles stopped letting people in, but like I say, I don't know.

Rovers twitter feed which originally said 2300 has updated it to now read 2890, which I would have guessed was about what it seemed. However, the atmosphere was pretty flat as there were so few Brum fans there, the stand to our left was completely empty in the lower tier and a couple of hundred scattered around in the upper. It was a decent turnout from us, but I think both Bristol clubs always take a decent following to games like this.

Amazing

They are loving this

But seem to ignore average attendances

Jokers

Let them have their day in the sun. As you say, the only figures that count are the week in, week out averages for league games.

This seasons averages, for the record, are 11653 v 5950

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.4/english-league-two?cc=5739

When we were in Division 4 1983 - average crowd 4799 - so no gloating please.  When all of the rubbish posts on this site are ignored, essentially both clubs have a pretty similar fan base.  If there were a level playing field and City and Rovers had 25 000 grounds and were high flying in the Championship then both clubs would average maybe 20 000.  Bang us both down into the depths of Division 4 and it would be 6 000.  Bottom line is that, given the size of the city, Bristol is an embarrassment as far as football goes.  Maybe this petty 'we're a bigger club than you' nonsense needs to be put to one side - as if!  

Next to bottom in league 1 and our average this season is still 11,654. Rovers are third bottom in league 2 and are averaging 5,951. Thats around 17,600 Bristolians turning up to watch utter dross from their team most of the time. I dont think thats so bad overall.

Also interesting to note that despite our worst season since 1982 we're still getting almost double their crowds.

Seems like a lot of insecurity being evidenced about numbers.Are attendances the new big thing and when did measuring your willy stop being the in thing?

I hear you but you're basically dismissing competition, which to date, is the driving force of the species.

I'll conceed that football is petty and irrelevant, in this context, just a bit of fun.

When we were in Division 4 1983 - average crowd 4799 - so no gloating please.  When all of the rubbish posts on this site are ignored, essentially both clubs have a pretty similar fan base.  If there were a level playing field and City and Rovers had 25 000 grounds and were high flying in the Championship then both clubs would average maybe 20 000.  Bang us both down into the depths of Division 4 and it would be 6 000.  Bottom line is that, given the size of the city, Bristol is an embarrassment as far as football goes.  Maybe this petty 'we're a bigger club than you' nonsense needs to be put to one side - as if!

There is absolutely no evidence for this what so ever. How can you possibly say that Rovers have a pretty similar fans base when in roughly 45 of the last 50 seasons City have averaged bigger attendances. Even most of the Sags I know concede that we have a bigger fan base.

You also talk of Rovers averaging 20,000, they haven't done that for sixty years even when they had the capacity to do it.

Their support was good, huge numbers for a Tuesday night vs Birmingham.

Trying to think of a parallel team for us; in terms of distance and a two division novelty factor I guess it's the equivalent of us playing Villa. I'd of thought we'd of taken a huge following there.

I honestly believe we would have taken 4-5000 if we were playing Villa. Of course Villa are a Premiership outfit and Birmingham are not.

You cant use that as an example. Average attendances were lower then and we nearly went out of existence the year before which has got to effect the attendances.The Mem has a capacity of 11,916, since they have been at the ground it has been a sell out on a handfull of games we usually have a sell out at least twice a season in a ground with a far larger capacity.

Archived