IGNORED

The 5 Pillars

OneManMob

I am sick and fed up of all the comments about "five Pillars" whenever we are involved in signing experienced players. For goodness sake grow up, it's no good on building anything no matter how many pillars, if it's on SAND.

The Egyptians managed building things on sand, sir. A very good job they did too. And long before Brandon Tool Hire were nearby with all their labour-saving devices and contraptions. Not that they went for pillars as such, more of a pyramid type formation......

The Egyptians managed building things on sand, sir. A very good job they did too. And long before Brandon Tool Hire were nearby with all their labour-saving devices and contraptions. Not that they went for pillars as such, more of a pyramid type formation......

This I think should fully explain why people are taking every word of the 5 pillars far too literally.

beat me to it.....

Like some others I find it a bit bizarre that some people expect us to only sign younger players.

If you look at the 95-6 Man U team (of 'you'll never win anything with kids' fame) - yes they had mainly younger players like Beckham, Scholes, Giggs , the Nevilles etc but they also had experience with Steve Bruce, Irwin ,Pallister etc.

In my view you need 4-5 experienced players to make up the backbone of the team and you can then fit the kids around them. Hopefully over time some of the kids become the experienced players and you don't need to sign anyone.

We need a bit more leadership on the pitch and think the new guy can do a job.

Like some others I find it a bit bizarre that some people expect us to only sign younger players.

If you look at the 95-6 Man U team (of 'you'll never win anything with kids' fame) - yes they had mainly younger players like Beckham, Scholes, Giggs , the Nevilles etc but they also had experience with Steve Bruce, Irwin ,Pallister etc.

In my view you need 4-5 experienced players to make up the backbone of the team and you can then fit the kids around them. Hopefully over time some of the kids become the experienced players and you don't need to sign anyone.

We need a bit more leadership on the pitch and think the new guy can do a job.

Exactly. How many players do we have over 30. Carey and Pearson are the only 2 I can think of, and have almost no game time. 

The pillars are a crock of shite, that have been overplayed by someone utterly out of their depth. Almost like a comfort blanket I guess.

The philosophy behind signing younger players is sound, but because these pillars have been overplayed for so long, they provide plenty of ammunition.

Thankfully since SL's radio tantrum I haven't really noticed more talk of pillars, and its seemingly moved to where it should be, a framework to guide decision making behind the scenes.

Archived