IGNORED

Stadium Decision

ChippenhamRed

Whilst the stadium itself and facilities within the stadium would generate more income v AG as you say - I think you are wrong

to include hotel, housing, and commercial developments in your analysis. 

The development of the wider AV site will be for the benefit of Vence (The Lansdowns plus partner).

Any income won't find it's way onto the BCFC Holdings balance sheet or accounts - How could it?  BCFC Holdings aren't building the houses or hotels.  The Stadium will be paid for by SL and rented to BCFC,  BCFC will benefit from Stadium generated revenue.

I'm not being critical of SL but the reality is that the AV stadium is completely separate from the commercial development of the rest of the land - in the same way that -  If we do stay at AG and SL re-develops AV for housing etc (as widely predicted) then the club won't profit from that housing.

Your last para is the crux of the issue in a nutshell... Move to AV and the majority cost of development is taken care of by sale of BS3. Stay at AG and u have to stump up more cash. Develop AV later for, perhaps, other uses and you get a ROI on the land you bought in the first place... You separate BCFC from other SL businesses which, in theory, is valid. In reality if one assumes SL as the overall majority owner of all businesses you still easily have a better return from Plan A than B.

And I believe if the ROI is greater BCFC benefits to a greater degree; by definition of same owner across all entities.

Yeah but you will probably have 'stick in the mud' Doris to contend with who will not move for any money. 

Mind you as Aizoon questioned earlier we could always build a stand around the 'Craven Cottage' but then again Doris mind have sight and sound faculties so she would know something is up when she goes to put the empty's out one morning only to be confronted with the Gents Toilets at the back of the stand.

There was an interesting article about Liverpool's attempts to expand by buying up houses:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2013/may/06/anfield-liverpool-david-conn

Cardiff - WE HOPE WORSE THAN A YO YO AND MORE A 'SPIRALLING DOWNWARDS TO OBLIVION' (SDO)

Palace - SDO

Fulham - London 'weighting'

Hull - Don't they have big 'around the ground' revenue streams? Anyway... SDO

Norwich - I thought they were over 30k ?

Stoke - This, for me is the oddball in the pack here... we know how they did it under Pulis Hoofball but under Hughes they might become a Yo-Yo.

Swansea - Per Hull ?

WBA - Always liked the Baggies as it happens. about 28k capacity if i remember correctly. The Hawthorns, from memory, always seems to have room to grow and now they are on the verge of being a regular prem team i would not be surprised if they have plans to expand.

Nothing wrong with that indeed sir.. at least for the short term. Fear of course is we do not go back up which could be a mighty financial mess.

Not sure about hull and Swansea having around the ground revenue streams, but I know both share their grounds with a rugby team and therefore only have to pay for half of it (Wigan were the same). Having bristol rugby on board will definitely help with that!

Yeah but you will probably have 'stick in the mud' Doris to contend with who will not move for any money.

Mind you as Aizoon questioned earlier we could always build a stand around the 'Craven Cottage' but then again Doris mind have sight and sound faculties so she would know something is up when she goes to put the empty's out one morning only to be confronted with the Gents Toilets at the back of the stand.

If there was a gents toilet outside her window, it wouldn't be sight or sound, but a quite different sense that would alert our Doris :o

I thought AV was designed to expand for the World Cup? Don't know how much by

That would be the Rugby Union WC, I presume, because we won't get the football one again until hell freezes over. We won't be forgiven for exposing FIFA corruption until then :(

There was an interesting article about Liverpool's attempts to expand by buying up houses:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2013/may/06/anfield-liverpool-david-conn

This is actually almost identical to what tottenham have done and whilst house prices in Liverpool are lower than bristol prices, Tottenham prices are probably slightly higher. I believe tottenham at least rented out the properties they were buying.

The question for city is one of whether we (or bristol rugby) need the extra capacity, either now or in the future.

I think this shows the wrong way to do it, intentionally driving prices down and ruining lives for an extended time is bad practice and downright cruel.

However... As much as its still heartbreaking to those involved it shows what can be achieved with the backing of the council and compulsory purchase.

With fair offers i think the council is fully justified to buy out the few to improve things for the many but of course the chances of that ever happening in Bristol are slim. The club really should've been pushing hard to take the flats down and council assistance in buying up local housing and businesses to enable expansion in its current location.

I'm in the prefer to move camp but if we are going to stay we should be making the most of what we can and to my mind we aren't.

Here in Sydney they are just starting the process of Compulsory Purchase to put a new motorway link road through part of the city and the same for a new tramway, heart breaking for those involved but ultimately progress for the city.

If only Bristol grew some balls rather than continued its tiptoeing around to make sure nobody ever gets upset. 

Archived