IGNORED

El Abd.... He Is A Pharaoh Player!

supercidered

What were the thoughts on our new defender? He looked rusty to me and was at fault for the first goal. He looks strong though and think he will be a welcome addition. Flint on the other hand was a liability from start to finish. He made even the most simple task look difficult!

He started really well, then lost the bloke for the goal. Hopefully he can help sort out the diabolical defending from corners which is becoming laughable.

I thought he did reasonably well. Looks tough and more composed than most of our defenders. I really like Flint for his effort and desire but I am very scared everytime an attacker runs at him. Any drop of the shoulder/dummy and Flint is lost and flatfooted. Needs to learn to read the game better.

I thought he did reasonably well. Looks tough and more composed than most of our defenders. I really like Flint for his effort and desire but I am very scared everytime an attacker runs at him. Any drop of the shoulder/dummy and Flint is lost and flatfooted. Needs to learn to read the game better.

Ditto. El Adb look comfortable on the ball and didn't hoof it at all. He's not used to playing in a back 3 which is probably why he looked 'rusty' . That said he was done for their first goal but that can happen to any defender.

He'll be an asset for sure.

Ditto. El Adb look comfortable on the ball and didn't hoof it at all. He's not used to playing in a back 3 which is probably why he looked 'rusty' . That said he was done for their first goal but that can happen to any defender.

He'll be an asset for sure.

Definitely. Adds steel and experience and will no doubt be a good influence/mentor for the likes of Flint and Williams. Looks like a good signing already.

I'm glad he has signed and think he is exactly what we are looking for. I'm really worried about playing the top 3 teams away in quick succession. If we defend (if thats the right word) like we did yesterday, we could get some severe beatings! I'm hoping SC has it covered some how but I'm really at a loss as to how it can be sorted. 

In the event he does who plays?... Flat back 3 is it?

Yeah got to stick with a flat back three with Osborne El-Abd and Williams.

dont think its a coincidence that changing to this system has seen an improvement in performances and were seeing the best in Cunningham and Wagstaff as wingbacks. Then we have bryan and maloney as cover.

Not that I would be against signing a player like Freeman whose name keeps being mentioned but I would worry it would upset the balance were currently have.

Yeah got to stick with a flat back three with Osborne El-Abd and Williams.

dont think its a coincidence that changing to this system has seen an improvement in performances and were seeing the best in Cunningham and Wagstaff as wingbacks. Then we have bryan and maloney as cover.

Not that I would be against signing a player like Freeman whose name keeps being mentioned but I would worry it would upset the balance were currently have.

Spot on, Cunningham has been excellent lately.

Didn't have the best of games, but improved after the break when in a more natural right side of defence, as glynriley has pointed out.

I think he will be a very good signing when he settles in though and a great carachter to have around the club.

I'm sure that he'll prove a good signing, even though yesterday was not a great game.

Looked comfortable on the ball, and from the very start was organising, supporting, letting others know what's going on. What we need.

I've got to say though that if that had been Fontaine in his place for their first goal - can you imagine the fury and the abuse on here!!

Didnt convince me if im honest, read so many good things about him but wasnt expecting him to start, big gamble i thought.

The three lads at the back have been doing ok so why chuck him in so soon - at fault for the first goal but will get much better as time goes on and i reckon will be the new club captain ! 

I thought to be honest he did well for his first game, seeing has he only arrived at the club late Thursday, and we have been crying out for a no nonsense CB for a long long time. As far as Flint goes I think he has been a liability for a long time. But what concerns me more is the fact that we desperately need a No1, Parish is just not good enough, he parry's everything and when I say parry's I mean he normally drops it right in front of him which is always going to be dangerous.  I do hope SC is looking at the situation, I don't know whats going on with FF and I don't think he is the answer but we do need a good No 1. When you think back to our last time in league 1, we had Basso and Wheale, Parish and Fielding are not fit to clean either one of there boots. We all go on about the defenders but if u look back at all the goals we have conceded this season, Parish has been responsible for more than any single defender.

Thought he was poor, caught out a few times and we were lucky not to be punished in the second half when he seemed to let the ball go over his head (was in the Atyeo so happy to be corrected there).

Only one game though and Flint hardly covered himself in glory either. I have high hopes for him based on what many Brighton fans have said and I'm certainly not slagging him after one game. Frustrating that the defence looked so fragile again because we looked very decent going forward. At least we're playing some football again, it's less of a slog watching the game lately.

When criticising our defenders for a specific performance you have to look at the game as a whole.

We missed chances and put ourselves under pressure, the first goal was El Abd being caught out and Parrish not clattering their striker, nothing to do with Flint. El Abd was also playing out of position and struggling. I doubt that SC played him there because he thought it was a good idea, it probalby forced on him by Williams carrying an injury and not being able to manage 90 minutes. He wouldn't have factored in 4 good chances being squandered.

Chasing the game we are wide open, the wing backs are getting forward and leaving us exposed on the flanks, quick nippy forwards running at big centre halves who were left completely exposed to situations they are not best equipped to handle.

If you had gone to Bradford and seen the side set up to play away and defend solidly and hit on the break you would have seen how we will be playing at Wolves, Brentford and Orient. Flint won more than his share in the air against a big physical centre forward and always had people around when their forwards were in and around the edge of the box. The 3 centre halves were always close together and the wing backs only went over the halfway line in support of a break away, they were there to fill the space on the flanks.

I sometimes wonder if half the people that post on here have any real understanding of football. You have to see the bigger picture.

Thanks for your opinion and insight Running Man. Football is a game about opinions.

As far as understanding football.... I have played for the Army and then at County and Semi Pro Level and also managed and coached to the same levels. I've also watched City home and away for nearly 40 years. 

My opinion on Flint is not just about the game on Saturday but from what I have seen so far this season just isn't good enough and at 300k it doesn't look like good business for us. He makes even the most simple task looks difficult and can't even direct a header without it going straight back to the opposition. 

I can only hope that he can learn and learn quickly under SC and maybe having the experience of El Abd with him in training. At the moment I worry every time the ball goes near him!

Again, its just my opinion and I really hope he goes on to prove me wrong!

Archived