IGNORED

Goals Yesterday

Rich_s

the first goal started going wrong when cunningham failed to clear when he had the chance, not on that replay- the fact that their player had his hand up, in acres of space was a worry, as El Abd didn't seem aware until he misjudged the ball (as he did on another second half) however, there is also a MF player (Pack?) jogging back who must be able to see that situation evolving but did nothing to assist or chase back.

for the second Reid does absolutely nothing to chase back when the ball is played through his position (I felt he had a really poor game yesterday) but the way they strolled through was right back to the worst of our defending.

Yes the defenders were crap for both goals, but where was the defensive midfield?

and if i'm particularly harsh, i'd have liked Parish to have done more for both.

the first goal started going wrong when cunningham failed to clear when he had the chance, not on that replay- the fact that their player had his hand up, in acres of space was a worry, as El Abd didn't seem aware until he misjudged the ball (as he did on another second half) however, there is also a MF player (Pack?) jogging back who must be able to see that situation evolving but did nothing to assist or chase back.

for the second Reid does absolutely nothing to chase back when the ball is played through his position (I felt he had a really poor game yesterday) but the way they strolled through was right back to the worst of our defending.

Yes the defenders were crap for both goals, but where was the defensive midfield?

and if i'm particularly harsh, i'd have liked Parish to have done more for both.

You can blame quite a few for those goals but Parrish isn't one of them.

First goal, El Abd gets caught in front of the attacker when he should probably be goalside (is he trying to play him offside?), but to be fair, it was an exceptionally good ball, and a tidy finish. Parish could possibly have done more.

Second goal is as bad defending as you will see at any level.

Reid and the player to his left are both in no mans land and there is a runner behind Reid who gets a free ball in a crucial area. Then from 00:16 onwards it's a really basic failure. The centre back (Flint) does what Pack should do, and rushes to the ball instead of staying with his man, who already has 5 yards on Pack, who can never make up the ground. If Flint had stayed with his man instead of rushing the ball, Pack could have closed down and the attacker doesn't get a free shot in the box. A neat finish, but the line of defence should have stopped both chances.

[quote name="BRISTOL86" post="1963309" timestamp="1390141403"

Second goal is as bad defending as you will see at any level.

Reid and the player to his left are both in no mans land and there is a runner behind Reid who gets a free ball in a crucial area. Then from 00:16 onwards it's a really basic failure. The centre back (Flint) does what Pack should do, and rushes to the ball instead of staying with his man, who already has 5 yards on Pack, who can never make up the ground. If Flint had stayed with his man instead of rushing the ball, Pack could have closed down and the attacker doesn't get a free shot in the box. A neat finish, but the line of defence should have stopped both chances.

On yesterday's evidence I 'd strongly doubt Pack could make up the ground if it had been half the distance.

As for Reid, dear oh dear, this was basic stuff, showing no concentration at all and when added to several other occasions when he ran by the side of opponents without getting any challenge in, it was an afternoon for him to forget.

Agreed, I understand he is young and has much to learn but I thought he was poor yesterday.

Agree the goals conceded are shocking - back to where we were start of season.

First one: if that had been Fontaine instead of El Abd this place would have been in meltdown.

As I said on another thread - very similar to the game at their place earlier this season, and to other games earlier in the season. We managed to tighten up those defensive lapses, but at the expense of our attacking edge. Achieving both is the holy grail!

You can blame quite a few for those goals but Parrish isn't one of them.

I think parish could well turn out to be a decent keeper, unfortunately in GK terms he's still an apprentice and does not have all the tools required of him yet. He made an excellant save towards the end of the game yesterday but was slow coming off his line for the first, led down and made the goal big for the second and I feel should have come and collected the ball on the six yard line for their free header. When you add in that he completely missed a cross in the second period and seems slightly slow in mind and with his feet, we are in need of a recognised dominant keeper.

Been critical of Parish this year, but wouldn't expect him to have saved either. 2nd one was an excellent finish.

I know it's a matter of opinion and where you view an incident from helps in forming that opinion. Their keeper has had four one on one situations and saved three of them, whether that's good on the keepers part or poor on the attackers part or a bit of both is open to debate. Our keeper had two one on one situations and didn't save either of them. In each case Parish reacted slowly and did not make himself big to the attacker, in my opinion.

If you think he's the man to aid us in the relegation battle for the remainder of the season that's your choice. I would prefer a more experienced keeper with a bit of nous and the ability to dominate the goal area, then we can bring Parish through gradually, as was expected when he was signed.

Archived