IGNORED

Spiky Plants

Aizoon

NATURE'S 30 BURGLAR PREVENTING PLANTS

Creeping Juniper - Juniperis horizontalis 'Wiltonii' - Also known as 'Blue Rug', has a thorny stem and foliage.

article-2107511-05C9D6C10000044D-55_233x
icon_camera_90x68.png+6

Blue spruce has dense, spiky needles

Blue Spruce - Picea pungens 'Globosa' - Rigid branches, irregular dense blue, spiky needles.

Common Holly - Ilex agulfolium - Large evergreen shrub, dark green spiked leaves.

Giant Rhubarb - Gunnera manicata - Giant rhubarb-like leaves on erect stems, abrasive foliage. Can grow up to 2.5m high.

Golden Bamboo - Phyllostachys aurea- Very graceful, forming thick clumps of up to 3.5m high. Less invasive than other bamboos.

Chinese Jujube - Zizyphus sativa - Medium sized tree with very spiny pendulous branches.

Firethorn - Pyracantha 'Orange Glow' - Flowers white in June, with bright orange-red berries. Thorny stem.

Shrub Rose - Rosa 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup' - Excellent ground cover, pale pink flowers, very thorny stem. May to September.

article-2107511-0A4C2880000005DC-344_233
icon_camera_90x68.png+6

Firethorn, or pyracantha, is a tough, very spiky ornamental evergreen shrub that has creamy-white flowers in spring

Pencil Christmas Tree - Picea abias 'Cupressina' - Medium-sized tree of columnar habit, with ascending spiky branches.

Juniper - Juniperus x media 'Old Gold' - Evergreen. Golden-tipped foliage. *****ly foliage.

Purple Berberis - Berberis thunbergil 'Atropurpurea'- Has a thorny stem.

Mountain Pine - Pinus mugo 'Mughus'- Is a very hardy, large shrub or small tree, with long sharp needles.

Blue Pine - Picea pungens 'Hoopsii'- Small to medium-sized tree, spiky needled stem, densely conical habit, with vividly glaucous blue leaves. Likes moist, rich soil.

Oleaster - Elaeagnus angustifolia - Small deciduous tree, about 4.5 to 6 m (15 to 20 feet) that is hardy, wind resistant, tolerant of poor, dry sites, and thus useful in windbreak hedges.

article-2107511-0A53FC0C000005DC-14_233x
icon_camera_90x68.png+6

Blackthorn, or Prunus spinosa, is a native deciduous plant which makes a dense hedge with thick, long thorns

Blackthorn - Prunus spinosa - Also called Sloe; spiny shrub. Its dense growth makes it suitable for hedges.

Fuschia-flowered Gooseberry - Ribes speciosum - Fruit bush, spiny, produces greenish to greenish-pink flowers in clusters of two or three.

The following thorny plants can also be considered: Aralia, Chaenomeles, Colletia, Crataegus (including hawthorn/may), Hippophae (sea buckthorn), Maclura, Mahonia, Oplopanax, Osmanthus, Poncirus, Rhamnus, Rosa (climbing & shrub roses), Rubus (bramble), Smilax *****ly ash (Zanthoxylum).

NATURE'S 30 BURGLAR PREVENTING PLANTS

Creeping Juniper - Juniperis horizontalis 'Wiltonii' - Also known as 'Blue Rug', has a thorny stem and foliage.

article-2107511-05C9D6C10000044D-55_233x

icon_camera_90x68.png+6

Blue spruce has dense, spiky needles

Blue Spruce - Picea pungens 'Globosa' - Rigid branches, irregular dense blue, spiky needles.

Common Holly - Ilex agulfolium - Large evergreen shrub, dark green spiked leaves.

Giant Rhubarb - Gunnera manicata - Giant rhubarb-like leaves on erect stems, abrasive foliage. Can grow up to 2.5m high.

Golden Bamboo - Phyllostachys aurea- Very graceful, forming thick clumps of up to 3.5m high. Less invasive than other bamboos.

Chinese Jujube - Zizyphus sativa - Medium sized tree with very spiny pendulous branches.

Firethorn - Pyracantha 'Orange Glow' - Flowers white in June, with bright orange-red berries. Thorny stem.

Shrub Rose - Rosa 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup' - Excellent ground cover, pale pink flowers, very thorny stem. May to September.

article-2107511-0A4C2880000005DC-344_233

icon_camera_90x68.png+6

Firethorn, or pyracantha, is a tough, very spiky ornamental evergreen shrub that has creamy-white flowers in spring

Pencil Christmas Tree - Picea abias 'Cupressina' - Medium-sized tree of columnar habit, with ascending spiky branches.

Juniper - Juniperus x media 'Old Gold' - Evergreen. Golden-tipped foliage. *****ly foliage.

Purple Berberis - Berberis thunbergil 'Atropurpurea'- Has a thorny stem.

Mountain Pine - Pinus mugo 'Mughus'- Is a very hardy, large shrub or small tree, with long sharp needles.

Blue Pine - Picea pungens 'Hoopsii'- Small to medium-sized tree, spiky needled stem, densely conical habit, with vividly glaucous blue leaves. Likes moist, rich soil.

Oleaster - Elaeagnus angustifolia - Small deciduous tree, about 4.5 to 6 m (15 to 20 feet) that is hardy, wind resistant, tolerant of poor, dry sites, and thus useful in windbreak hedges.

article-2107511-0A53FC0C000005DC-14_233x

icon_camera_90x68.png+6

Blackthorn, or Prunus spinosa, is a native deciduous plant which makes a dense hedge with thick, long thorns

Blackthorn - Prunus spinosa - Also called Sloe; spiny shrub. Its dense growth makes it suitable for hedges.

Fuschia-flowered Gooseberry - Ribes speciosum - Fruit bush, spiny, produces greenish to greenish-pink flowers in clusters of two or three.

The following thorny plants can also be considered: Aralia, Chaenomeles, Colletia, Crataegus (including hawthorn/may), Hippophae (sea buckthorn), Maclura, Mahonia, Oplopanax, Osmanthus, Poncirus, Rhamnus, Rosa (climbing & shrub roses), Rubus (bramble), Smilax *****ly ash (Zanthoxylum).

Get you smart arse!

;) Never realised a bramble and a special name

There is some plant native to mexico that the locals call balls of fire. It has very fine spikes that when brushed against attacks male genitalia. Doesn't do this to women apparently! So as long as your robbers are male, alls good.

Apparently the heat sent to the testicles is unbearable! I chose not to find out!

Get you smart arse!

;) Never realised a bramble and a special name

I know sweet FA about plants...I copied and pasted it from an article :smartass:...this one sounds good if you could grow it in Bristol...could be the one mentioned above by TRL

10. Best home-security system Mala Mujer: Cnidoscolus angustidens

danger-plants-10-0909.jpg

Stewart describes this garden plant as more painful than poisonous. Mala mujer, which translates to "bad woman," can be found in parts of the southwest and Mexico and is covered with nasty thorns, which could be turned into makeshift barbwire if needed. The real danger, however, comes from the caustic, milky sap that can leak from the plant. The sap, a common feature among many plants in the Euphorbia genus, can cause painful skin irritations and unsightly discoloration.

Thanks for those. Hadn't thought of *****ly conifers, I must admit. I think I'll leave out the Oomegooly bush though :o

I've already got pyracantha and berberis is on my list, but do you think Blackthorn would put off a Bristolian thief? If he was a Thatchers man, i suppose it might...

As my second profession know a small amount about this subject.

A real' bastard' plant is Berberis julianae, a particularly vicious variety which will take eyes out given the chance. Has long, stiff thorns - so bad we avoided using it near public areas. Pyracantha fine as well and blackthorn will do a job.

The only warning is they may need pruning at some time in the future. Naked sure you're well kitted out otherwise it'll look like you've met a crazed knifeman.

Blackthorn! Hawthorn is not bad. Both are traditional country hedges and pretty much grow without too much fuss. You can buy them as whips about 50 cm is good to get you started. I planted about 45 meters about 5 years back in two offset rows. Trimmed once a year they are now a nice dense 5ft. If you have a small hole or gap to fill a rambling rose can be useful and can grow quickly.

Nothing bar an elephant or a tank will get through an established double row of blackthorn. These hedges are mainly used to keep livestock in. Cows, sheep.

^^^^^ random spell-checker .... Best not prune 'naked' for a variety of reasons!

Bu99er! Beat me to it.

Mind you, I was killing a particularly aggressive sycamore when I attracted the attention of the police helicopter. Obviously, a neighbour had seen me looming over the fence and called the OB.

From the top of my ladder, I waved my branch-lopper at the helicopter and it did the equivalent of a wing-waggle and zoomed off.

Warn Horace not to eat too many slugs, they can cause lungworm in hogs, leading to pneumonia :( ...his main diet should be plenty of beetles..please pass this on for the good of his health.

News article on Sky tonight...Hedgehogs are now an endangered species in the UK...(true)..

You've been hitting the old Google tonight ;)

It's because the 'yoof' of today see a hedgehog curled up in a ball and they go and play football with it. Horace has more than likely had this experience.

No care for our prikly friends no respect! Hope Horace and his friends have a wonderful life and don't run into these 'yooofs'

It's because the 'yoof' of today see a hedgehog curled up in a ball and they go and play football with it. Horace has more than likely had this experience.

No care for our prikly friends no respect! Hope Horace and his friends have a wonderful life and don't run into these 'yooofs'

Not so much the 'yoofs' these days as road vehicles and, alas, badgers. They're the only native species that can uncurl a hedgie :( Most of today's yoofs wouldn't recognise a hedgehog if it got up and bit them. Which it probably wouldn't - they seem to get on all right with people.

As to slugs, I tell Horace that he eats too many of them, but then he gets on to me about my cheese biscuit habit and it all gets messy :(

I saw a kid do that in school funnily enough I don't recall him doing it again after I broke his nose

Not so much the 'yoofs' these days as road vehicles and, alas, badgers. They're the only native species that can uncurl a hedgie :( Most of today's yoofs wouldn't recognise a hedgehog if it got up and bit them. Which it probably wouldn't - they seem to get on all right with people.

As to slugs, I tell Horace that he eats too many of them, but then he gets on to me about my cheese biscuit habit and it all gets messy :(

Aizoon, are you serious about keeping badgers out? A determined badger will probably push its way under an establishing blackthorn. Some heavy duty chicken wire dug six inches down and staked prior to planting blackthorn would be good. 

Here's five minutes of your life you won't get back  :shifty: . The bloke's voice is an excellent cure for insomnia.

Aizoon, are you serious about keeping badgers out? A determined badger will probably push its way under an establishing blackthorn. Some heavy duty chicken wire dug six inches down and staked prior to planting blackthorn would be good. 

Here's five minutes of your life you won't get back  :shifty: . The bloke's voice is an excellent cure for insomnia.

Badgers aren't really a problem in Horfield. Nor, more surprisingly, are whores :whistle:

PS I'll play that again when I can't sleep for fear of relegation :fear:

Badgers aren't really a problem in Horfield. Nor, more surprisingly, are whores :whistle:

PS I'll play that again when I can't sleep for fear of relegation :fear:

It's funny that the fox has migrated from the country to the city in big numbers because no doubt there's a greater selection of bins to get their heads in. I guess the same cannot be said for the badger. A mate of mine who is partial to road kill told me an interesting story how he slow roasted a dead badger he'd collected from the road. Make me bilious just thinking about the smell of badger.

Archived