IGNORED

World Bowls

Super

Bowls both indoor and out door has become much more popular with younger people over the last few years. It largely due to various indoor bowls clubs doing all they can to attract youngsters in and in Bristol IBC there is a thriving younger membership along side adult membership of around 800.

It's the game I took up after I had to stop playing football and it filled the competitive edge that football gave me fantastically well. Now I'm retired it fills my time very adequately.

It's not easy to play well either. These blokes on TV are amongst the best in world and whilst we all play well sometimes they do it consistently well, game after game.

If you've never played it, try it before you slag it off.

Bowls both indoor and out door has become much more popular with younger people over the last few years. It largely due to various indoor bowls clubs doing all they can to attract youngsters in and in Bristol IBC there is a thriving younger membership along side adult membership of around 800.

It's the game I took up after I had to stop playing football and it filled the competitive edge that football gave me fantastically well. Now I'm retired it fills my time very adequately.

It's not easy to play well either. These blokes on TV are amongst the best in world and whilst we all play well sometimes they do it consistently well, game after game.

Every time there's been a trial at the Ardagh on Horfield Common, it's persisted down. Determined to do it this year though.

Who has slagged it off? I just asked a question about it.

That's exactly why my old man plays it. 40 years playing cricket took its toll so taking up bowls still gives him a competitive edge.

He plays to win like he did when he was a youngster. Winscombe is his club

Who has slagged it off? I just asked a question about it.

Like 'do you have to be over 60 to watch it'.

Fact is the pairs version that's showed on the TV is two woods each. Everywhere else it's 4 woods each. That's 16 bowls every end which is too many for tv coverage. It takes too long to play and with that many woods per end it makes it more difficult to follow.

They sometimes show two wood triples which is rarely played elsewhere. 3 wood triples is my favourite format.

Just noticed that the World indoor Bowls has started, does anyone actually watch this? do you actually have to be over 60 to watch it?

It's huge in Australia, a game that is big with the young.

Seen as a old persond game over here but lots of the top players are surprisingly young.

Never played it myself. Too much skill gtor a gert oaf like I

It's huge in Australia, a game that is big with the young.

Seen as a old persond game over here but lots of the top players are surprisingly young.

Never played it myself. Too much skill gtor a gert oaf like I

When I lived in Oz I played a few times are really enjoyed it as it is quite skillful.

My Mother who is still in Oz and aged 84 has given up playing this year after snapping her Achilles Tendon. Must have been the Dennis Lillee style run up she had to the mat !!

This is the same woman who rang me last year to say she had got rid of her car. I'm thinking this is good because she is an absolute menace on the roads at her age. Anyway, she proceeded to tell me she had replaced it with a Black Toyota 4X4 with Chrome wheels because it was easier to get in and out of !

Archived