IGNORED

Smallest Attendance

sglosbcfc

Not City related but i believe the lowest ever league crowd was 911 i think it was Rochdale v Chester !!!

Not even close. 13 people watched Stockport v Leicester at Old Trafford

12TH MAY 1982

BCFC 4 MILLWALL 1

ATT.3404

KNOW YOUR HISTORY

As I posted about 3 hours ago mate!

Not even close. 13 people watched Stockport v Leicester at Old Trafford

As I posted about 3 hours ago mate!

Nowhere near 13, but went to Manchester United v Wimbledon at Old Trafford in 89, and the gate was 23k ish.  Amazing what winning stuff does for the band-wagon jumpers.  Think there were less than 70 of us in the away end.

Our lowest league crowd was 3,041 against Torquay on 28th September 1982

Just seen we had 2,696 against Millwall 12th May 1982

Going through my 'Bristol City - The Modern Era' book the Torquay crowd was 3,318 and yes it is our lowest Attendance ever !! depressing times those day's with Dad reminds of this now and again :-( 

Going through my 'Bristol City - The Modern Era' book the Torquay crowd was 3,318 and yes it is our lowest Attendance ever !! depressing times those day's with Dad reminds of this now and again :-( 

If memory serves, the Anglo-Italian didn't prove to be lucrative draw some might have hoped, and I recall our home gates being pitiful (though, I think we had the Bristol School of Samba to keep us entertained....)

If memory serves, the Anglo-Italian didn't prove to be lucrative draw some might have hoped, and I recall our home gates being pitiful (though, I think we had the Bristol School of Samba to keep us entertained....)

Sorry i meant our lowest ever League Attendance, i expect some Anglo-Italian cup matches and LDV or JPT have been less then this !!

were talking home games mike

i'm sure it was a home game how it isn't in the records i don't know but will check through my programs of that season it was just after we lost 7 - 0 to Northampton that season when we had our 1 st game on a Sunday remember going down to torquay and winning 2- 0 later on i was in the navy so went went from there to Rosyth  scotland to get back to ship for 8 in the morning to join ship 

I never said it was a league match and OP never stated league so ffs STOP SHOUTING :). Truth is I can't remember. But I was there stood in the East End, practically on my own....

He's not shouting. It's BLOODY difficult to do bold on an iPhone.

Thanks chaps, so it seems I was right thinking we have never dipped below 3000 for a league match at Ashton Gate, but wrong in thinking that we haven't dipped below 2000 for an away match. I suppose it is worth noting that most clubs in the early 80s had gates less than 50% of the gates they get now. I can remember quite a few top flight matches where the attendance was barely over 10,000 and the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal were quite often 20-30,000 below capacity.

One of the annual punchorama's v Millwall was under 3000 early eighties.

Cowshed, on 21 Jan 2014 - 6:46 PM, said:

Millwall 81 - 82 relegated and tuesday night 2696. 50-60? Millwall. Only time I have seen the away fans to a man up for scrap which they got.

wrong

never been below 3k

12TH MAY 1982

BCFC 4 MILLWALL 1

ATT.3404

According to Bristol City a complete record 1894-1987  it was 2696 ,

just saying.

Cowshed, on 21 Jan 2014 - 6:46 PM, said:

Millwall 81 - 82 relegated and tuesday night 2696. 50-60? Millwall. Only time I have seen the away fans to a man up for scrap which they got.

3400 seems more realistic and even that seems tiny. In many ways the fighting is more hardcore with small numbers as there is no hiding place in amongst the crowd.

According to Bristol City a complete record 1894-1987  it was 2696 ,

just saying.

Thanks chaps, so it seems I was right thinking we have never dipped below 3000 for a league match at Ashton Gate, but wrong in thinking that we haven't dipped below 2000 for an away match. I suppose it is worth noting that most clubs in the early 80s had gates less than 50% of the gates they get now. I can remember quite a few top flight matches where the attendance was barely over 10,000 and the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal were quite often 20-30,000 below capacity.

Could be due to clubs with low average attendances like Notts County, Luton, Watford, So'ton (at the Dell) Coventry, Wimbledon being members of the top flight. Luton & Notts Co were there for a few seasons, barely believeable when you look at them now.

Archived