IGNORED

How Old Were You When You First Went Down The Gate?

Aizoon

11 or 12, City v Spurs, League cup semi., that's the first home game I remember anyway.

Found City on my own, ( Dad wasn't a big football fan) just went down with a few pals of the same age from school and paid at the turnstiles. Does that still happen?

Watched the match from the top of the East End entry slope - due to the packed crowd that's as far in as we could get, and the occasion will always be memorable for me for the first sight and sounds of the raucous East End crowd to my right as much as the football.

My parents took me as a baby before I was 1 year old apparently!

Our son was born at Watford General Hospital right next to that dump of a ground  - when I picked him and his Mum up I made her cover his eyes to make sure that the first ground he saw was Ashton Gate when we made the family visit a few weeks later........

I was 5 in the 1959/60 season home to Aston Villa, stood on an orange box in the front of the eastend to see over the wall, still got the program now , we lost 5-0 and got relegated that season, cried all the way home to hengrove on the "specials " buses that ran every game . Dad said there's plenty of ups and downs watching City , boy was he right , but still as passionate now .

Was probably 4-5 years old, a pre season friendly with Man City I'm sure! Can anyone remember if a friendly took place with them 1999/2000/2001 sort of time? Pretty sure Goater was playing for them, can't remember there being many goals in the game either maybe a 1-0 or a draw? My first ever football match!

9 yrs old in the 1949-50 season with my uncle, he was a St John Ambulance officer, and we sat on the ringside seats. IMO best years during the fifties with great players and atmosphere. As a teenager went with mates in the Covered end, you call it the EE, crowds were huge and job to keep your feet when everyone pushed forward to see better. We are a 3rd Division team and always will be, so don't go with current expectations, too grand.

7 or 8, 3-1 win v Chelsea under lights in about 78. Though really decided City was the club for me at the time of the 'support city it's now or never' stickers, which I had in my bedroom window. Think the secound was in 81, lost 1-0 to Brentford with Chris Kamara being sent off. People forget he was a maniac when he played.

Was probably 4-5 years old, a pre season friendly with Man City I'm sure! Can anyone remember if a friendly took place with them 1999/2000/2001 sort of time? Pretty sure Goater was playing for them, can't remember there being many goals in the game either maybe a 1-0 or a draw? My first ever football match!

Confirmed mate, beat them pre season 1999 1-0, Steve Torpey getting the goal if I recall correctly. Jesus I've wasted my life!

I peaked too early. 76 for my 10th birthday, though I was 9 at the time, turned 10 the next day. March 20th against Fulham 0-0 

I now feel very old, and very depressed that in close on 40 years, the best happened so damn early.....

Fulham game would have been '75 wouldn't it? Peter Mellor/darts etc?

Anyway, I often think the same. The majority of my most truly memorable City games were before I was even 20.

Spurs semi final

Leeds home & away - FA Cup win

Liverpool at home, FA Cup 6th round, close defeat to Shankly's team

Portsmouth promotion match, Special mention for WBA away.

Arsenal away

Coventry away

All in my first 7 years supporting City and I was at all of them. Several disappointing seasons league wise for the first 5 years though.

Then there were what - 84 First Division home games, and dozens away, all in my first 10 years.

Some good seasons, memorable matches and outstanding victories along the way since of course but excruciatingly few and far between compared to the excitement of those early days.

I was 14, saw a dreadful goalless draw with Walsall, and was hooked.

Funny that. My Dad took me to watch Bristol Rovers v Walsall in 1962.

Awful 0-0 draw.

Decided that Jarman and co could take a hike and went to 

watch Atyeo etc instead. Been a City fan ever since.

Like they say. My ol man said be a.............................. :gasmask: fan

Probably 5 or 6. No idea who we played. I remember standing on the terraces where the Atyeo is now. I felt real posh when we went and sat in the Williams. I remember always looking forward to the game and still do, including the rituals that surround a match day, such as a few pints and striking random conversations with complete strangers and fellow city fans. The amount of times I've met people who speak with genuine authority about a rumour they probably read on here, always makes me chuckle.

about 9 around 1968 Lost 1-0 to Huddersfield who were a big name just been relegated from Div 1. Only went 3 or 4 times for the next for seasons never saw city score until a first game of the season home to Millwall about 72 drew 3-3.

55 today still got east end season ticket. Don't go away much now but between 76 and 82 never missed one game home or away (sent my boy to Brentford tonight got to keep it going)

Archived