IGNORED

Last Nights Ratings

harvey54

Parish - 3. Fluffed the second goal and did not communicate to Flint for the first. All it needed was a shout and he had it covered. I was stood behind the goal and he says nothing all game 

El-Abd - 4. Out-paced, out-jumped and clearly short of match fitness 

Flint - 6. Shame about the og. Tried to put it into the stand but sliced it. Suffered from being in a defence with no leaders or voices

Osborne - 7. Doing well until scoring/getting injured

Moloney 14mins - 2. Completely useless

Williams - 3. See Moloney

Pack - 2. See above 

W Elliott 46 mins - 5. Huffed and puffed and kicked a few people. Better than Pack 

Gillett - 5. See Wade Elliott 

M Elliott - 5. Tried hard but looks out of shape. Creates nothing. 

Cunningham - 6. Not a bad game 

Baldock - 5. No service 

Emmanuel-Thomas 64 mins - 5. No impact

Barnett - 7. Won headers, ran channels and looked up for it. Bonus.

The defence looked all at sea. Nobody looks to be organising them or taking responsibility.

Nobody put an arm around Flint after the og.

We severely lack a leader. Baldock is isolated and should not be captain.

As Private Fraser would say, "we're doomed". It doesn't look good.

Parish - 3. Fluffed the second goal and did not communicate to Flint for the first. All it needed was a shout and he had it covered. I was stood behind the goal and he says nothing all game 

Flint - 6. Shame about the og. Tried to put it into the stand but sliced it. Suffered from being in a defence with no leaders or voices

Pack - 2. See above 

W Elliott 46 mins - 5. Huffed and puffed and kicked a few people. Better than Pack 

Baldock - 5. No service 

The defence looked all at sea. Nobody looks to be organising them or taking responsibility.

6 for Flint? Can I have some of what you're on?

Nobody put an arm around Flint? Yes they did, him and Parish had a big "man hug"

Nobody deserved more than a 4 last night. Useless

Pack - 2. See above 

Baldock - 5. No service 

Flint our third best player? Crikey!

Pack - 2. See above 

Baldock - 5. No service 

A 6 for Flint?!?!

Mine:

Parish - 4 - awful goalkeeping for the second, doesn't inspire confidence generally.

El-Abd - 5 - doesn't look settled in yet, but not as bad as the rest of the back line.

Flint - 3 - diabolical own-goal, aimless hoofs, like Bambi on ice. A total waste of 350k.

Williams - 3 - useless last night, pulled out of position constantly, all over the place.

Osbourne - 7 - took his goal brilliantly and we fell to pieces after he went off.

Moloney (sub) - 3 - weak, brushed off the ball too easily, poor defensively, can see why Cotterill isn't picking him.

Pack - 2 - horrendous first half performance, no tackles, no closing down, offered absolutely nothing to protect the back 3. Rightly subbed at the break.

Gillet - 5 - at least showed a bit of bite but still didn't have enough effect on the game for an experienced centre mid.

Elliot - 5 - similar to Gillet, a bit of aggression shown that most of this team totally lack, but didn't do enough over all.

Cunningham - 6 - didn't do a lot wrong.

Baldock - 5 - had nothing to feed off - thumping long ball at his head doesn't work and I felt he was left totally isolated.

Barnett - 5 - Not great, first touch was poor, won a few flicks but again, all we did was thump the ball at his head.

Difficult to take a single positive out of last night, we looked devoid of ideas, confidence, organisation, passion, commitment, aggression. You name it, it was awful. Going down on that performance, really, really worried.

For Flint read Fontaine for the last 2 seasons. Someone appears to get the brunt of the blame and here was no way that he was the worst offender last night.

He stuck his head in, won his fair share and didn't get pulled about like El Abd or Williams. Moloney was by far the weakest link and Brentford sussed this by running at him for 75 minutes.

For Flint read Fontaine for the last 2 seasons. Someone appears to get the brunt of the blame and here was no way that he was the worst offender last night.

He stuck his head in, won his fair share and didn't get pulled about like El Abd or Williams. Moloney was by far the weakest link and Brentford sussed this by running at him for 75 minutes.

It's interesting to see some balance on Flint and Williams - Flint's certainly been disappointing on occasions but overall nowhere near as bad as some make out imo.

Williams leads a charmed life when it comes to avoiding criticism - some seem to have reached a firm conviction he is a very good player in the same way they have completely written off Flint, however each performs on the pitch. 

The reality imo is they are both reasonable players in their own way, and both have made disastrous errors (note Williams' debacle at Swindon as well as more recent gaffes) but one is being pilloried while the other gets away with them more or less scot free.

I've no doubt Williams will come under closer scrutiny should Flint get dropped because our defensive frailties are certainly not all down to Flint, who has had more good games than bad.

With Osbourne now out, and scope for changes reduced, these two need our support, particularly Flint at the moment. Neither lack heart or determination, both will make mistakes, but I still think BOTH will come good.

It's interesting to see some balance on Flint and Williams - Flint's certainly been disappointing on occasions but overall nowhere near as bad as some make out imo.

Williams leads a charmed life when it comes to avoiding criticism - some seem to have reached a firm conviction he is a very good player in the same way they have completely written off Flint, however each performs on the pitch. 

The reality imo is they are both reasonable players in their own way, and both have made disastrous errors (note Williams' debacle at Swindon as well as more recent gaffes) but one is being pilloried while the other gets away with them more or less scot free.

I've no doubt Williams will come under closer scrutiny should Flint get dropped because our defensive frailties are certainly not all down to Flint, who has had more good games than bad.

With Osbourne now out, and scope for changes reduced, these two need our support, particularly Flint at the moment. Neither lack heart or determination, both will make mistakes, but I still think BOTH will come good.

This is likely a pretty fair approach, though for me, Williams tend to get less criticism as this is his first year playing competitive first team football, and looking at the line ups SO'D put out earlier in the campaign, I get the feeling he wasn't mean to be a starting player to quite the extent he has been,

But, to be fair to Flint, he too is relatively inexperienced in league football, with only 4 seasons of league football (minus periods on loan to the Conference and out of the Swindon team) under his belt.  That said; he was seen as the lynchpin player when brought in this summer, and his lack of leadership has contributed to our diabolical form this term, though this perhaps isn't a big part of his game.

Both Williams AND Flint seemed much more confident next to Osborne, who for me has looked the real deal since arriving, and it is the disruption of this relatively well balanced back line by the addition of E Abd that has thrown them both back to the shaky performances we've been used to.

Parish 3 - should've came for a cross just before Flint OG didn't, wasn't commanding enough on OG and should've saved the second.

Flint 2 - Shocking. He half-heartedly put his foot through the ball for OG; should've committed to it despite Parish call. Heavy touches and on several occasions went round the whole ball with his body just to kick it with his right. Waste of money was Bambi.

El Abd 3 - looked all over the place. Didn't have the pace to cope with the overlap. He seemed to be a bit nastier in the second half.

Williams 3 - worst free kick in history but similar to El Abd, he couldn't cope with the overlap. Pulled out of position several times.

Osborne 6 (Maloney 4) - Osborne got forward well scoring excellently. Maloney failed to track back but made a good couple of tackles to stop crosses. Fairly weak.

Cunningham 6 - composed on the ball; didn't do too much wrong

Gillett 5 - put himself about a bit with feisty, reckless challenges. Brushed off the ball way too easily all the way through the 90.

Marv 6 - Ran around like a headless chicken getting stuck in during the second half and looked like he wanted to play for the badge

Pack 2 (W, Elliott 5) - Pack may as well have not been on the pitch. Everything bypassed him! Elliott similar to Gillett but had a few decent touched

Barnett 6 - won a lot of flick ons and worked hard for the cause
Baldock 4 (JET 3) - had nothing to feed off and wasn't in the game. JET did nothing when he came on

Pack - 2. See above 

Baldock - 5. No service 

I'll have a pint of what your on bud because Parisgh's shout could be heard loud and clear in the stand!

Are you related to Flint?

In fact are you Flint?

Mine for what its worth:

Parish - 6.  I don't blame him for the first.  He was clearly shouting for the defence to get out, that was his area and he came for it.  Flint had no perception of players around him.  Couldn't do anything about the other two goals, thought he was unlucky with the second.

El-Abd - 3.  Rubbish.  Didn't do anything in defence and was out muscled by the Brentford defender every time they had a corner on us.

Flint - 3.  Woeful.  Bambi on ice with clumpy boots who thinks he is an NFL quarterback.

Osborne - 6. Cracking goal, solid, then injured.

Moloney (Sub) - 4.  Ran his socks off but he is not a wing back and too slight for League 1.  Put a few good balls into the box though.  Everyone loves a trier...

Williams - 4.  Didnt look bothered at all.  No closing down, no commitment.  Looked bored.

Pack - 3.  Was he even playing?  All I ever seem him doing is puffing and running back towards his own goal.

W Elliott 46 mins - 5. Thought he looked useful tbf.

Gillett - 3. Very poor.  Out muscled, out fought and lost the ball loads of times, and critically for a goal.

M Elliott - 5. Got involved, had a bit of fight about him, but 2/3 yards off the pace I'm afraid...

Cunningham - 5. Ran his socks off and defended well.  But Flint was lumping rubbish balls at him.

Baldock - 5. Anonymous.  Didn't close them down enough and didn't gamble or get close enough to Barnett.

Emmanuel-Thomas 64 mins - 4.  Put on as centre forward when 3-1 down.  Wanted to play right wing.

Barnett - 6.  Won a few headers, looked frustrated there was noone near him when he did.  Missed a good chance second half.

Mine:

Parish - 4. Should give a big shout to Flint for the og. Should have done better with 2nd.

Flint - 3. Another og and struggled to cope with their pace.

Williams - 4. Poor and lost his man for 3rd goal.

El-Abd - 4. Another poor performance. Added nothing so far.

Osbourne - 7. Good goal and did OK for his time on the pitch. Still don't think he should be wing back though.

Cunningham - 5. One of our better players over the 90 with a few good runs.

Gillet -  4. Stupid booking early on limited him. Got worse as game wore on and gave ball away for one of the goals.

Elliott - 6. Like Wolves at weekend, one of our better players.

Pack - 4. Poor.

Baldock - 4. Muscled off the ball far too easily. Didn't offer much.

Barnett - 6. Should have scored at 1-1 but overall worked hard and won a few headers. 

Subs:

Maloney - 5. Did OK.

W. Elliot - 5. OK

JET - 4. Struggled with the ball at his feet.

So only Osbourne over 6 and he only played for a short period. Pathetic.

Mine:

Parish- 3 Purely because at 2-1 he rushed out and made a good save from Clayton Donaldson. I foolishly thought that would be crucial to help us go in 2-1 at HT but how wrong was I? Had he not made that save he would have been given a 2. Absolutely awful last night and simply can't be trusted. He was at fault for the first two goals. I hope the rumour of Simon Moore is true as we are desperate for a quality keeper. Parish may get better, but we can't risk it right now.

El-Abd- 3 For a 'championship' defender I would have expect more, even if it is early days. Probably being a bit harsh to him as SC is not helping him by playing him either side of a back 3. Last night Brentford ripped  him to shreds. His positioning was terrible and they were constantly running in behind him causing us all kinds of problems. He tightened up second half but it was three goals too late by then. I have said in a previous thread I still believe he is the type of defender we need but only if used centrally in a back 3 or as one of 2 centre backs. He has started very poorly and needs to improve quick.

Flint- 5  Actually one of the only players to show a bit of heart and desire. Yes he was poor and was sloppy for the first goal but he never gave up. Probably about as kind as I can be about him from last nights game. He is getting quite a lot of stick on here at the moment. In his defence he has only been here half a season, played in a dodgy back line, in front of two indecisive keepers and as we clearly paid over the odds the expectations have been high. Let's remember that at least he has potential and is young enough to improve. He might well not improve enough, but in the mean time let's give him a bit of chance.

Williams- 4 Has looked off it the last two games. Usually a consistent performer but was way below his usual steady standard last night. Summed our night up when he took one of the worst free kicks I have ever seen late in the second half.

Osbourne- 6 Fantastic goal. In the short time he was on you could see he had a bit of fire in him and was up for playing against his old club. Even though he shouldn't be playing RWB we missed his athleticism when he went off. He certainly would have helped El-Abd out a lot more.

Cunningham- 4 Pretty much non existent. In Greg's defence first half it was all down one side. He just wasn't involved enough and wasn't able to offer us his usual drive going forward.

Pack- 5 As usual never afraid to show for the ball. Probably a little harsh that he was sacrificed for Wade Elliott unless he picked up a knock? Didn't do a lot wrong to be honest but as he only played until half time didn't have a chance to assert himself.

Marv- 6 He has been our best player the last two games. Showing fight and work rate and giving absolutely everything. Shame he can't do much with the ball at his feet but at least he still has the desire, can't fault that. Some other players should take note.

Gillett- 4 Really disappointing performance from him. Kept getting caught on the ball first half and it eventually cost us when he lost the ball in a crucial area in the build up to Brentford's second goal.

Barnett- 3 So sluggish and poor. Still amazed that people wanted him to start over JET. I know he hasn't had much game time of late but I would have thought he would have been desperate to prove his worth given a start. Didn't work together with Baldock enough. Missed a glorious chance at 1-1.

Baldock- 3 The tactics didn't help him but as mentioned he didn't get close enough to Barnett and his usually good work rate wasn't there last night. Pretty much summed up his input first half when he was pathetically shrugged off the ball. Didn't lead by example. Don' t think the partnership between him and JET should have been broken up. 

Moloney- 4 Don't know what's happened to him. When he first arrived under SOD he looked a decent player at championship level. Maybe that was because we had been used to watching Foster and Mark Wilson most weeks though. Didn't offer enough protection to an often exposed El-Abd and didn't offer anything going forward.

Wade Elliott- 6 Actually wanted to try and make things happen, worked hard and put himself about. Bet he wondered what on earth he has let himself in for.

JET- 4 Not sure he will ever be effective coming off the bench. Should have started. Wasn't his type of pitch in fairness but when he came on was often way too far apart from an almost immobile Barnett. Tried to get us going but just wasn't happening.

Archived