IGNORED

Louis Carey - A Better Option This Season Than El Abd?

bcfcnick

Obviously Louis isn't the long-term answer to our defensive woes and, quite rightly, won't have his contract renewed but I don't really understand why he is not being picked to help with the fight to climb the table.

When selected under SC (aside from his midfield cameo role) he had a decent game.  If Steve wanted an experienced defender lacking pace who could organise the younger back line with grit, a great attitude and good communication he didn't have to look to El Abd for the solution.   The only issue I can think of is fitness and the prospect of regular availability as Louis has tended to pick up injuries in the last two or three seasons and can only play one match a week realistically.

I rate SC and think he will do a fantastic job, his hunger to win will see to that. He seems to have good man management as well given how he went out f his way to communicate to what will now be our two reserve goalkeepers. I just can't understand the recruitment of El Abd when a similar and probably better solution for this season was already in the squad.  

The goalkeeper recruitment was a great bit of business but the evidence suggests that we won't see Louis Carey in a City shirt again unless there are a couple of more central defender injuries.  I remember Keith Millen finding his best team via injuries and went on a great run of wins .. good old Keith though reverted back to a losing team when the injured players recovered!

I'm not sure we have too many games to let anyone 'settle in'.   El Abd was rated by Brighton fans and rightly so, I hope he goes on to impress here and hopefully he will over time.   The only point is that I think if SC wanted a committed leader of the back line who wouldn't need to settle in then the answer was already here and it would have been better to have eased El Abd in rather than change a defence that was beginning, at long last, to look much more solid.  

I'm not sure we have too many games to let anyone 'settle in'.   El Abd was rated by Brighton fans and rightly so, I hope he goes on to impress here and hopefully he will over time.   The only point is that I think if SC wanted a committed leader of the back line who wouldn't need to settle in then the answer was already here and it would have been better to have eased El Abd in rather than change a defence that was beginning, at long last, to look much more solid.  

Just exactly how much game time has Carey had so far this season?, Carey has got the appearance record and within the modern game richly deserved, please let's move on.

every player needs time to setlle, El Abd will be a good player and we have been conciding lots of goals before he came, how many clean sheets have we kept 2?,

Personlly I think the problem is flint and to a lesser degree Parish,

Flint is just slow and clumsey and has been caught out of postion numerous times as well as being our 3rd highest scorer with own goals,

Parash looks like he will be a good keeper but he doesn't command his box well and flaps at things doesn't fill me with confidance at all, reminds me of Steve Phillips's first few seasons to be honest,

Not sure Carey would be a better option than El Abd but I really don't understand what we're doing defensively. We all know it needed to be improved but the way it's being done makes no sense to me.

We had started to improve it with O'Driscoll but once again people panicked, didn't stick to a long term plan and ripped apart everything we were building. We only conceded 5 goals in SOD's last 6 games for us.

That was then carrying over to Cotterill's reign and he also brought back the likes of Carey and Fontaine who looked solid when they played. For some reason we then sign another defender neither Louis or Liam has even been on the bench since.

Not sure Carey would be a better option than El Abd but I really don't understand what we're doing defensively. We all know it needed to be improved but the way it's being done makes no sense to me.

We had started to improve it with O'Driscoll but once again people panicked, didn't stick to a long term plan and ripped apart everything we were building. We only conceded 5 goals in SOD's last 6 games for us.

That was then carrying over to Cotterill's reign and he also brought back the likes of Carey and Fontaine who looked solid when they played. For some reason we then sign another defender neither Louis or Liam has even been on the bench since.

Fontaine has been on the bench against Wolves

Not much point in debating this unless we know how fit Louis is. If he's up to it, he would be an ideal short-term solution.

Since that seems to be the way we're going, and I can see the justification for that in our position, why not?

We need to give El-Abd a chance. I honestly don't believe he's being helped one bit being played either side of a back 3.

In Louis' defence though at Notts C when he played on the right of a back 3 not once did he get carved apart or exposed like El-Abd has so far. He dealt with Jack Grealish, one of the quickest and most skilful players in the league with little trouble. Louis is a legend but his time here as a player is surely up now.

El-Abd needs to improve and quickly.

Absolutely no idea why he was given a contract tbh.

A bloke like El Abd could have joined pre-season and gelled, not scramble to fit in with over half the season gone.

Apparently it was more important to give the bloke a years contract to break the record of a man who's balls he wasn't fit to lick.

Carey was given the record on a plate - not on merit, and that's my only gripe.

I've never looked at it like that. You are right. Louis has been very lucky to have been handed nearly 650 games based purely on sentiment. It's all been a big anti John Atyeo conspiracy.

I've never looked at it like that. You are right. Louis has been very lucky to have been handed nearly 650 games based purely on sentiment. It's all been a big anti John Atyeo conspiracy.

Haha this is class.

You are right though I can't believe the John Atyeo conspiracy that has gone on since Carey signed a professional contract.

with respect to a great servant to this club, Louis Carey is passed his best by date. He now has that appearances record (and in all honesty hes nowhere near as good as Atyeo)

He really is not the answer anymore. Give the new players a chance starting, let Louis get his coaching badges.

I  still contend Carey needs to playas many games as his age and fitness allows for his final season.  On the right of a back three or with either Williams or Flint in a back four. El Abd has to be rested and dropped to the bench for both his and the teams benefit and only introduced again if injuries / suspensions necessitate within a back four.

Archived